Lurchers For Hunting Hill......anyone??

been doing a bit of hill work with the lurchers lately with a good friend of mine who has a couple of good lurchers for the hill. i am really getting into this way of hunting as i find it not only exciting but efficient.

i was just wandering if any of the other boys on here keep a day?hill dog and use them to cast out and hunt up on there own?

wandering what crosses are being used successfully for this job?

i can imagine there are a few essential traits....stamina, good feet, and a good nose!

any info or pictures would be superb

atb

Mine would take to that like a duck to water. He would have no qualms quartering a hill on scent. Spent two years trying to get him to do the opposite lol

He works his nose a treating winding stuff far far away

Small fields and cover with me though so close is better

Edited by terryd

Working the hill do you mean a dog working a good distance in front of you ?

yes mate sorry should have made it clearer, the lad i go with, his lurchers could be showing 3km away on gps and can be seen hunting opposite valleys.

very often the lurcher could have hunted up for 5-10km before his quarry is put up. He then has to find another gear to bring the whole thing to an end.

just wandering f any one hunts this way and what dogs

atb

Mines can dissapear a field or two at times but I'm not so sure about that distance. Plus where I live I don't have the land for that without roads or joining farms. What type off dogs is ur mate using dan

he uses the one he has posted above john, which i have to say you really do have to see the big lump hunt to believe it.....i think he is a bull grey hound back to a fox hound?

and he uses a coliie deerhound bull grey hound? i may be wrong but again she will cast off for miles in pursuit of her quarry.......very excited way of hunting.

atb

Had a bull x that was no hill hunter but let him loose in some of the big forestry blocks around here and he'd find you a deer every time you'd be surprised how far they travel and how far they don't sometimes. Nowt better than getting up a rise in the land and seeing the dog a long way off head down tail high game in the bag??

i like this type of hunting also, only problem is mine is a b*****d for the woolys :censored: shame really because he can really use his nose

That's one thing dogs have to me 100% trust worthy they are working out of sight a lot of the time ! Iv watched mine from a distance working straight through sheep, there's a different between being good with sheep and being comfortable around them
  • Like 2