I've picked sloes in sept before. If they're ripe and ready, get them before someone else does! They should be deep blue with a white bloom and come off the stalk easily. I pick them as they're ready, and freeze them in bags. Then, when I have enough, I give them a couple of gentle whacks with a rolling pin (don't want to split the kernels) and off we go. Regarding the 'first frost' thing, I think it must depend on where you live.

• Like 2

I've picked sloes in sept before. If they're ripe and ready, get them before someone else does! They should be deep blue with a white bloom and come off the stalk easily. I pick them as they're ready, and freeze them in bags. Then, when I have enough, I give them a couple of gentle whacks with a rolling pin (don't want to split the kernels) and off we go. Regarding the 'first frost' thing, I think it must depend on where you live.

yes that makes sense. up north things are probably a month behind the south id say.

I know for a fact that if damsons aren't ripe then sloes defo ain't. This thing about picking early and putting in the freezer is quite frankly a load of bollocks. If the fruit isn't ripe you shouldn't use it. Simple. Wait till it's ready and you will reap the rewards.

I know for a fact that if damsons aren't ripe then sloes defo ain't. This thing about picking early and putting in the freezer is quite frankly a load of bollocks. If the fruit isn't ripe you shouldn't use it. Simple. Wait till it's ready and you will reap the rewards.

. I thought that putting them in the freezer was just to create the first frost effect, not so you can pick before there ripe, I sometimes don't see any frost, so I could not wait for the first one, I still have a few bags left from last year, I will start picking at the end of the month same with my rose hips, around me the signs are for an early autumn, and lots of the fruits are early as were mushrooms this year
  • Like 2

. I thought that putting them in the freezer was just to create the first frost effect, not so you can pick before there ripe, I sometimes don't see any frost, so I could not wait for the first one, I still have a few bags left from last year, I will start picking at the end of the month same with my rose hips, around me the signs are for an early autumn, and lots of the fruits are early as were mushrooms this year

Maybe we got some crossed wires. You are right. Freezing them doesn't ripen them it just simulates the first frost.

If they ain't ripe they ain't ripe. The frost has the effect of bursting cell walls within the fruit, it aids in the liquids and sugars and magic shit that is inside the fruit leeching out into the alcohol.

The Sloes around here are most definitely ripe now.

• Like 1

Maybe we got some crossed wires. You are right. Freezing them doesn't ripen them it just simulates the first frost.

If they ain't ripe they ain't ripe. The frost has the effect of bursting cell walls within the fruit, it aids in the liquids and sugars and magic shit that is inside the fruit leeching out into the alcohol.

The Sloes around here are most definitely ripe now.

I havnt been out looking yet, but it was around this time last year that I started? and im made some bloody good stuff! only got one bottle left tho lol

Ive made lovely sloe gin in early sept,,,so long as there ripe,,,,and I don't bother freezing them either,,,or pricking them with a pin,,,

Where you take the stalk off creates a hole anyway,,,fill the bottle up with a 1/3 rd to half with sloes,,,add some sugar,,,top up with gin,,,vodka ect,,,,give it a gentle shake once a week,,,enjoy at crimbo,,,simples

• Like 1

I've got me a couple of kilos of them from up the mountains in the freezer. Keep meaning to get the gin on

Remember the home made sloe gin/vodka and peach schnapps and whisky we took to harewood house game fair camping haha that was the official nail in coffin for me and booze haha
That peach schapps was fuuckin evil ???

I remember a funny weed type smell in the beer tent that night too :whistling:

Edited by mushroom
  • Like 1