What Would You Do?

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you thought the parents were good enough to breed from why would a colour bother you ? Half the reason terrier work has gone tits upwards is people breeding for colour or stamp, work is the reason

There's no such mythical animal as a "pure Patterdale " , they've got border, bull and Black and tan in the mix. They're a relatively new type, show me any pictures of a family of "pure Patterdale "

Rippem the reason we all say it's a throw back is because we all know there's no such thing as a pure Patterdale. You're getting obsessed with a piece of paper and a colour. The line of terriers I ke

Posted Images

I did start this thread and I all I asked was IF YOU GOT A WHITE DOG OR BLACK AND TAN DOG OUT OF A LITTER AND WAS TOLD THERE WAS NO LAKELAND OR RUSSELL IN IT WOULD YOU QUESTION YOUR PED.that's what I asked. And only a coulee folks answered. The rest like your self instead of answering it you guys say should it matter as long as it works? That wasn't my question. Lol. And just because your from England or Ireland doesn't mean you know anything..I'm sure there alot of nuckle heads that don't no much. Just like every were else. And I understand that sometimes people introduce the Lakeland or even border into there blood or whatever. Then breed off of that. But the bottom line is dont hide it if your the breeder. And just because of wear you live don't automatically make you dog man.there idiots in every country.

No one has the answers pal , . Either give the dog back to the dealer but he have a buyer for big money or ready to breed it on. Or work it if you have the space but don't breed of it . you know your self , don't lie to your self or others and you got a dog that isn't what supposed to be or you wouldn't have bought it if you knew or started raising it and time .don't know what else to suggest

Glad to hear it i know I was a bit of a smart arse last time but I think your doing the right thing . You talk about reading of the old timers and there paterdales in all the book I've read 90 % of the old timers at one stage or another put other terrier blood into their lines and the other 10 % did but don't like to say so .so you could question the ped all you like but it might not hold the answer you want or think it does . I know foright a fact Bryan nuttals line through some the odd white one no matter how tight you keep them coz he told me himself

I'm keeping the dog like I said. Coming on good. Just won't ever breed it..

i think what lads are trying to say is rippem if somebody used a white dog as an across 5 generations ago and all other dogs in that line were black from then on its possible to still through a white pup but they still cant be critisized for calling their dogs patts its just a type and after 5 generations you have 1/32 or 3% white blood its still a line bred pup. Thats why lads with lines call them white dogs and black dogs rather than patts and russells. Most lads like to forget that there is probably border blood in their lines 7 or 8 generations ago but they dont throw the toys out of the pram over it because its that long ago the borders were probably good workers back then and thats why they were used as an outcross. If it was a good white dog used 5 generations ago maybe it was the foundation dog that built that good black line.
  • Like 2

It seems to be an American thing to be more interested in a terriers pedigree than it's ability.

A few years back when Robert Booth was found to have sold a lot of terriers to the U.S. for big money but all had false pedigrees (35 years of line breeding, LOL.) one of his customers rang a man I know here in Ireland for the real pedigrees of his terriers.

He wanted to leave a legacy in terriers to his son !!!!!

The Irish man rang him back with the pedigree but it was too late. The Yank had shot the terriers as he wasn't taking the chance.

A sport ie. a white terrier in a black line, can pop up after dozens of generations so even if the man who gives you a pup after breeding that line for 10 generations doesn't know that a Jack Russell was used 5 generations before that it doesn't mean he's told lies.

When it comes to the breeding of terriers the Americans IMO need to be a bit more practical and less immature .

LOL, even some of their Pit Bulls aren't bred the way they think they are.

• Like 11

Rippem the reason we all say it's a throw back is because we all know there's no such thing as a pure Patterdale. You're getting obsessed with a piece of paper and a colour.

The line of terriers I keep are all based on one of the most influential Patterdale studs in the history of Patterdales "Smithy", guess what, there's black and tan in Smithy too.

It doesn't matter that it's in the mix, it doesn't matter if there's bull, Belington, border ,fell, Lakeland or anything else, the Patterdale is a TYPE not a breed.

If you doubt my commitment to this type then your welcome to hunt with me or sit at my table and go through dozens of pedigrees and get bored to death by facts that don't mean shit, a pedigree never worked any game. A pedigree is something to consider when looking forward or looking back with fondness.

Good luck looking for your mythical creature, I'm sure there's someone out there that'll tell you what you want to hear and take your hard earned money.

Always remember black is ALWAYS dominant in colour when breeding, but and it's a big but, genetics are a funny thing and there's no accounting for nature.

Edited by dillydog
  • Like 14

You're doing it wrong if you're hitting the hammer Pablo.

rippem,

are sire and dam related? On which side do you not trust the breeding?

Imy asking if you had pats that you were told had no other breeds in it and they turned out white or black and tan would you believe the breeder or would you know because of the colors being white or black and tan that there was other blood I it? Or would you tell everyone, HEY GUYS I GOT WHITE PATS FOR SALE! AND THE OTHER HALF OF THE LITTER IS BLACK AND TAN!
There in lies your problem IMO genuine terriermen should not be interested in selling dogs. Terriers should be given & got for free amongst genuine lads..

Bullshit.....

It seems to be an American thing to be more interested in a terriers pedigree than it's ability.

A few years back when Robert Booth was found to have sold a lot of terriers to the U.S. for big money but all had false pedigrees (35 years of line breeding, LOL.) one of his customers rang a man I know here in Ireland for the real pedigrees of his terriers.

He wanted to leave a legacy in terriers to his son !!!!!

The Irish man rang him back with the pedigree but it was too late. The Yank had shot the terriers as he wasn't taking the chance.

A sport ie. a white terrier in a black line, can pop up after dozens of generations so even if the man who gives you a pup after breeding that line for 10 generations doesn't know that a Jack Russell was used 5 generations before that it doesn't mean he's told lies.

When it comes to the breeding of terriers the Americans IMO need to be a bit more practical and less immature .

LOL, even some of their Pit Bulls aren't bred the way they think they are.

The Yanks haven't done too bad with the APBT have they.....

Of course pedigrees are faked in the Bulldog world, folk don't want other folk knowing their recipes and plenty of other reasons too....

Cold dogs are bred to quite often if they have the right breeding behind them. You'd rather breed off a freak that has no lineage to back it up?

Edited by DogFox123

Rippem the reason we all say it's a throw back is because we all know there's no such thing as a pure Patterdale. You're getting obsessed with a piece of paper and a colour.

The line of terriers I keep are all based on one of the most influential Patterdale studs in the history of Patterdales "Smithy", guess what, there's black and tan in Smithy too.

It doesn't matter that it's in the mix, it doesn't matter if there's bull, Belington, border ,fell, Lakeland or anything else, the Patterdale is a TYPE not a breed.

If you doubt my commitment to this type then your welcome to hunt with me or sit at my table and go through dozens of pedigrees and get bored to death by facts that don't mean shit, a pedigree never worked any game. A pedigree is something to consider when looking forward or looking back with fondness.

Good luck looking for your mythical creature, I'm sure there's someone out there that'll tell you what you want to hear and take your hard earned money.

Always remember black is ALWAYS dominant in colour when breeding, but and it's a big but, genetics are a funny thing and there's no accounting for nature.

Top post , Rippem doesn't get the fact they are type, not breed