1St Hand Caught Rat.

Guest vin

Hello all.

I was checking and topping up the rat bait box today on a customers yard when just as I was turning the key to unlock it,,,Mr rat shot out the hole on the front !

Now usually I jump as I have done many times over the last year of working as a pro pesty etc etc.. But not today,I was like a Freaky Ninja with my spare hand (left) I grabbed it by the tip of the tail as it tried to escape under a fence panel.Yanked it back and quickly dispatched it...when i say quick..I mean quick. . .It was like I was on auto pilot.

Fair play, I presume you whacked it off something to dispatch it ?

Brave man, if it had any life in it it might have got you.

When we used to hunt them with terriers now and again you'd see one slip away unseen from the terriers and a slightly raised boot over their run could peg them gently by the head while you lifted them by the tail.

But we'd throw them back into the action rather than risk getting bitten.

• Like 3

Makes me shudder to see lads hand catch without gloves .Caught hundreds but with gloves on .

We used to catch them all the time as kids,never worn gloves,i have some black and white pics somewhere i will see if i can dig them out.

• Like 3

I have a terrier bitch that checks all my bait boxes,she is like a drugs dog checking boxes freezes if any think is at home her fun has been spoilt now most boxes have traps in them.

My lurcher does the same and lets a quiet bark out of her if one is holding.

• Like 1

Finally raked a couple of hand catching pics out,as kids we were influenced by plummers tales of a rat hunting man,we learnt to knit our own rat purse and long nets and used to prefer catching rats to anything else,they gyrate and spin like dervishes when you tail catch them,i even tailed one once in the karna mati rat temple in deshnoke,fascinating creatures.

post-1930-0-85235300-1472127846_thumb.jpeg

post-1930-0-68256200-1472127865_thumb.jpeg

post-1930-0-18394900-1472127887_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

we used to"tail" them as they run along the rafters /beams in the pig farms and quickly throw them to nearest terrier/lurcher the big ones cant climb their tails as good as a young one and I did receive a canny bite off one many years back- we were bang into our ratting with ferrets back in the day and a few street mongrels would happily tag along and join in then just disappear back into the estate when we got home -a dog was lost once in slurry pit when it chased an escapee -very dangerous slurry pit to a new comer as it looked hard on top but lethal underneath

• Like 5

we used to"tail" them as they run along the rafters /beams in the pig farms and quickly throw them to nearest terrier/lurcher the big ones cant climb their tails as good as a young one and I did receive a canny bite off one many years back- we were bang into our ratting with ferrets back in the day and a few street mongrels would happily tag along and join in then just disappear back into the estate when we got home -a dog was lost once in slurry pit when it chased an escapee -very dangerous slurry pit to a new comer as it looked hard on top but lethal underneath

We used to do exactly the same mate,had permission in the pigsty under the A19 bridge where it goes over the Wear,we always used to tail them on the rafters and drop them down to the dogs.

• 2 weeks later...