Handling Eu Polecats

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Aye, and put up a map of where they were caught from the wild. Otherwise what you have is dark ferrets.   They are ferrets mate, they all have different traits and personalities.   If it was an ac

This lad is full EU, father is from Hungarian lines and mother is from the Rif mountains in Morocco...  

Top man in Scotland for EUs , micros , angoras surprised hes no been on busy at shows i suppose

Posted Images

As a boy,..I saw genuine Polecats taken in rabbit Gins.... always regreted it...

They are a magnificent preditor,.great to watch in the wild, and real determined when after their prey...

However,..later in life,..working as a rabbit catcher,..I was gifted several first cross specimans....the experience has always been, emotional..They were truly beautiful animals, no denying that,..,..but after extensive testing in the field,..offered no improvement (workwise) over a good working line of ferrets.

My present ferreting partner, kindly keeps my old line of black poleys ,...we have recently improved our foundation stock by judiciously mating our best bitches, to tried and tested working Hobs,...the results look promising...

Colourwise, they are still plenty dark enough to look the part,...and certainly lethal enough, for our UK rabbits....

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 1

This is my eu polecat jill Bandit as a kit, she was 7 weeks old, she's didn't bite at all for the first few weeks then she turned savage and went through several gloves but she's calmed down to some amount after her first season but still tried to bite.

image.jpeg

Now though, she is generally alright to handle and can be handled without gloves but will still try and bite if given the chance and getting a locator collar on her is near impossible without getting bitten.

image.jpeg[/quote

Sounds ideal ??????

• Like 1

And the kits are only 13 weeks old that's why there small and have no muscle shape on them

High content hybrids and true polecats are very well muscled even as young kits. Both these kits look like ferrets to me...I don't see any indication that they might have polecat background.

And the kits are only 13 weeks old that's why there small and have no muscle shape on them

High content hybrids and true polecats are very well muscled even as young kits. Both these kits look like ferrets to me...I don't see any indication that they might have polecat background.

Where you the lady that imported the two we where talking about ?> the year after that i got a hob kit from dogger out off that pair to watch and he was totally different from the ferrets he was a brick shit house and he knew it used to mouch about in the rear of the cage i gave him to a guy that rated really dark ferrets and he seemed to take too him from the off and it worked out a lot better

This is my eu polecat jill Bandit as a kit, she was 7 weeks old, she's didn't bite at all for the first few weeks then she turned savage and went through several gloves but she's calmed down to some amount after her first season but still tried to bite.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Now though, she is generally alright to handle and can be handled without gloves but will still try and bite if given the chance and getting a locator collar on her is near impossible without getting bitten.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Ive got three the same here but there just poleys only got them as i need a few diffrent colours to see whos showing on big burrows with out walking all over it otherwise i wouldnt have them i struggle to see them in the shade and in hedgerows i far prefer my lighter coloured jills

• Like 1

This is my eu polecat jill Bandit as a kit, she was 7 weeks old, she's didn't bite at all for the first few weeks then she turned savage and went through several gloves but she's calmed down to some amount after her first season but still tried to bite.attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Now though, she is generally alright to handle and can be handled without gloves but will still try and bite if given the chance and getting a locator collar on her is near impossible without getting bitten.attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Ive got three the same here but there just poleys only got them as i need a few diffrent colours to see whos showing on big burrows with out walking all over it otherwise i wouldnt have them i struggle to see them in the shade and in hedgerows i far prefer my lighter coloured jills

I prefer lighter coloured ferrets for working too, my polecat isn't used for working and neither is my chocolate jill Willow. My other 4 are used for working though, 3 albinos, 2 hobs and a jill, and a light silver jill.

Where you the lady that imported the two we where talking about ?> the year after that i got a hob kit from dogger out off that pair to watch and he was totally different from the ferrets he was a brick shit house and he knew it used to mouch about in the rear of the cage i gave him to a guy that rated really dark ferrets and he seemed to take too him from the off and it worked out a lot better

Are you referring to Basil and Cybill whom I got from Keith? I didn't have any problems handling them from the time they arrived and neither one ever tried to nip or bite. Their descendents also have had good temperaments and were fairly easy to nip/bite train. The kits did need much more socialization than do "regular" ferret kits..that's true of all hybrid kits. Anyone who breeds hybrids should plan to give them plenty of daily handling and individual attention from 3 weeks on.