you'll be telling me next its white hares u run and there hard to kill as well , a good saluki X will kill on any type of ground

It won,t,fact.
Its how you fetch them on..

I run small land ,fells and moors..

Mines dynamite..

attachicon.gifScreenshot_2016-08-05-22-32-25.png

The way you enter,educate and bring a mutt on is the biggest influence in the jukels working life,Saluki saturated lurchers are easily broken on the Fells and Moors,fact,they are not up to the physicality of days and days and days,over months and months in that environment,repetitive sprinting,over short distances on undulating and unforgiving ground is their ruination,the harder it becomes the more they wane.Many folk on here have little knowledge of what it takes for a mutt to excel in the fells,they believe a few hours a week is all it takes to make a mutt,false ideology,i could wreck the average lurcher in a week on this ground.Ive owned and run many a Saluki hybrid within 20 miles of Skipton,none of them were worth their salt away from the A1 and Fens.

Absolute rubbish have you seen the mountainous land and the steps in Asia they make your fells look like window boxes. A1 and Fens salukis will run desert ,mountainous terrain, lava rock, pasture,, the steppes if you think yours were better I would like to see them.
while iam massive saluki hybrid fan have owned a few and don't doubt there ability in the field there are places they struggle like the heather coverd hills seen a few deerhound lurcher types make them look as though they were stationary on this ground the saluki seems to hold a mistic place in some guys kennels it called letting your heart rule your head know one is slating your salukis , but if saluki is the best on all terrian why is there so many hybrid crosses ?? The fact is some times the saluki lacks something fact !!!

The saluki blood was introduced to get wind stamina and other hunting qualities into the coursing dogs it wasnt the other way round. A good saluki hunting and running beats a deerhound everytime. how many lads have Saluki hybrid as compared to Deerhound hybrids speaks for itself

a dont think it does a just think salukis the latest fashion am sure say 20 30 years ago deerhounds were the big thing

people used to use horses and carts then the car was invented improvements stay around salukis have been around at least 6,000 years lol so they are the latest fashion LOL

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

this winter will be the fifth hunting season for my little bitch, theres 45 years of breeding on her dams side and the same on her sires side, iv spent a lot of time on this bitch, and had a lot of pl

Its how you fetch them on..   I run small land ,fells and moors..   Mines dynamite  

you've obviously never been if you think it's easy , it takes a special type of dog to kill down there

Posted Images

Im not a Saluki or fen bloke,and Ive only seen the footage on youtube and I used to have the video (poor quality) of Lucky the dark destroyer,but some of these dogs are unbelievable..talk about gears!!!

They are real running dogs some of them and being run in hard country by the looks of it. You can only have a lot of respect for animals like that.

I bet a little bedlington/whippet could catch hares on them black lands..and I bet his little feet could run on them hot rocks of maroc,,and the shale ground of them Portugese hillsides..lol.............

at the end of the day enjoy ya dogs...

DB I think the Deerhounds of yesteryear on their own terrain on quarry they were bred for would of taken some beating in general at their game .

If you wanted to improve the modern deerhound with an outcross, the modern, performance bred saluki would be a damned fine choice

I don't think it would .

The offspring would look nothing like a deerhound should.

A good pure staying / marathon greyhound is the way to go to improve the Deerhound as a breed.

IMO most are now to big ' clumbersom and slow.

A top notch greyhound or two into the gene pool would freshen things up .

who cares what they look like. Thats where we went wrong in the first place.

• Like 2

Max I often agree with a lot that you say..

But surely a line bred saluki lurcher, has more to offer than a pure grey when producing lurchers..

Ive only bred 1 litter, so I'm just guessing though..

• Like 4

I think the point of the post is are the dogs worth the money people pay for them? For me NO! The hype that these crosses generate can be quite astounding, join a lurcher face book group and look at how many litters there are with saluki/grey lines advertised with the blah blah x blah blah - all I know is all these dogs cannot be what people say they are! the feeders hang onto a few good dogs names.

But in saying that some great saluki dog out there are very impressive animals.

The amount of people who claim to have 3/3 dogs is unreal, there are dogs out there that can do it consistently, but for me if your dog can match a saluki for 2-3 runs and you do a bit of Lamping and day time walking then job done. I wouldn't be interested in a dog set up exclusively to run one quarry - and again I know there are good lamping saluki x dogs but in general terms the good ones have something else in them e.g collie or bull.

Saluki's are a lot tougher dogs than what people think in terms of running on ground types they come from a harsh climate and are very adaptable

There are always exceptions but for me the true all rounder is the dog people should pay big money for and there are the dogs that seem to go for £50 from round the corner!

• Like 1

A good dog will kill anywhere, but to say Salukis are no good on the fells is plain wrong, there will be some that can't run on the hills but they probably wouldn't run on the fens either. My saluki hybrid has caught many hares on the moors and many on the fens, good dogs adapt quickly but no dog that's run on moorland the first time will out perform a dog that knows the terrain, but I will say this if I knew that my dog was going to have four or five hard runs on Fen or moorland then the saluki or saluki hybrid would be my choice. My dear old dad has a collie deerhound Wheaton greyhound and she looks like the real old fashioned lurcher she's only 14 months old and still growing but we hope to test her on the moors this winter, we won't be rushing her.

I just put that last bit in to show I'm not blinded by Salukis, as my dad always says each to his or her own and have the right dog for the right job.

Happy hunting all.

• Like 1

DB I think the Deerhounds of yesteryear on their own terrain on quarry they were bred for would of taken some beating in general at their game .

Salukis can bring down the same stuff deer, ibex, wolf ,fox ,wild goat, hare rabbit, Salukis run any terrain from the Sands of Arabia, the Fens and fields of UK ,the foothills and higher ranges of the Hindu Kush, the vast plains of Mongolia they are tried and tested for thousands of years run rock hard land. flinty,, shale ,sand, snow, pasture what more is needed? Most of the COO dogs are used to put meat on the table and to take out predators worrying the flocks these are well documented facts.Everyone to their own preferences but Salukis should be recognised as top line hunting /running dog second to none, if they have short comings, they have been put their by folk who dont know what they are doing.

Edited by desertbred
  • Like 2

Salukis are shite so are the fens

don't think it so much the dogs but the fens and the tossers who think if there dog runs well on them then there dogs is best in country, and worth a mint and they will do well everywhere also why do some lads feel other hybrids do better on there ground believe it might be lurcher snobbery, if it ain't saluki it crap .at one time yes if you had saluki blood in your dogs around the 1980 yes they were top dollar up here but like all fads we tend to go back to old school lurchers on some terrain as the have been tired and tested filled the pot best !!
  • Like 2

Ive run the fens on a few occasions and hauled the odd hare homeward,ive seen dogs running on the fens,Saluki hybrids,that made the majority of mine look 3rd best.I went down the saluki route for a few years because of their Fen prowess,then i chucked my ego into the nearest fen ditch and hunted happier and cheaper,especially as i had 2 to many Saluki mongrels stolen.

How did your deerhound/collie/greyhound types fair on the fens Morton pre ban of course?

First run they would hold their own with any Saluki hybrid and usually beat them to the catch,2nd run they often accounted well for themselves,then the saluki hybrids took it to another level.Bring the Saluki Hybrids into my domain and let them loose on Fell,Dale and Moor and they were always a poor 3rd to the better looking jukels.
I have to say this has been playing my mind...

Because of the land here (yes he's getting on it this season lol) since I got him I've had him all over the rough ground (mountains, few open fields that make walking on glass look easy etc). To be honest the last time we were in the mountains he was on the back of a roe chasing it over ground that mate, made me shit myself at the potential damage (I actually believed he was coming back with torn fuckknowswhat and claret) and he didn't have a mark and gave a great account for his first real course on a deer. No he didn't ???

Edited by mushroom

Salukis can bring down the same stuff deer, ibex, wolf ,fox ,wild goat, hare rabbit, Salukis run any terrain from the Sands of Arabia, the Fens and fields of UK ,the foothills and higher ranges of the Hindu Kush, the vast plains of Mongolia they are tried and tested for thousands of years run rock hard land. flinty,, shale ,sand, snow, pasture what more is needed? Most of the COO dogs are used to put meat on the table and to take out predators worrying the flocks these are well documented facts.Everyone to their own preferences but Salukis should be recognised as top line hunting /running dog second to none, if they have short comings, they have been put their by folk who dont know what they are doing.

Again I'm agreeing with you, you bollock ?

I can't speak for pures but this hybrid tw@t of mine has incredible, bombproof feet ;)

DB how many pure Salukis have been severely tested up the Scottish Highlands on Deer ?

As the Scottish Deerhounds of yesteryear were ?

A deers a Deer Max the dog doesnt know where it is. Does it matter if a hares in Lincolnshire or Lancashire ? if the Dog can run them it will run them. The Hindu Kush are much more inhospitable than the Highlands Max. The Officers in the British Army in Asia (1700 t0 1947) had Deer hounds and Irish wolf hounds with them when they arrived they soon went over to the salukis not just because of climate neither. as said breeds are all down to personal choice and preference.and the needed ingredient capability

Edited by desertbred