Tall Whippet

Just out of curiosity,how tall can whippets make? I bought a 'whippet' with 'KC' parents but pups weren't sold with papers, now myself in not too fussed with how tall he is, I personally wanted a whipxgrey anyway but just couldn't find any at the time, so I got this whippet just for a bunny basher and although I have a saluki X I just prefer the look and running style of whippet/greyhound's. He's 14months old now and at 23tts I know this is above the stated average of about 21" but just wondering if anybody has had any taller whippets around this height before?

I've attached a pic of his mum and dad also, for me personally I don't mind what he is as long as he does his job and wags his tail for me when I get in from work haha, just seeing if any others have reached an above average height ?

post-72354-0-13992500-1469799886_thumb.png

post-72354-0-27186900-1469799918_thumb.jpg

post-72354-0-64058800-1469799941.jpg

post-72354-0-88254400-1469800150_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Hi ashr1.

What's he like for speed and stamina.

Atb j

Hi Jetro, I cant say too much as he hasn't been behind much quarry, i'm going to test him this year that's for sure. All I can do really is compare him to my 24tts saluki X, although he is fast, in an open long distance sprint with my saluki x she is faster BUT when getting up to speed, short bursts, jinking runs, weaving through woods, turning ect he sh*ts all over her to be honest lol, He got his first rab on the lamp at 7 months and I only took him out just for a couple of runs to see what he makes of a rabbit, to be honest I wasn't expecting him to be as keen as he was but he went like a stabbed rat. Stamina wise like I say he hasn't really been tested, in my opinion if you put a massive amount of fitness training into a dog it will be as fit stamina wise as you want but I wont be out on the lamp giving him 50 odd runs a night for me he'll probably get 10-15 runs max and he'd have no problem with that as he is now.

After seeing how he is with quarry and just his actions in general, I can really see why lamping/ferreting people love whippets/whippetX's and how they have such a good reputation for what they do. I honestly can say after seeing him run only a couple of times on the lamp, a bit of ferreting and a few droppers how small dogs like these are built for rabbits, YES a lot of people love talking Saluki Greys and big land and massive runs, but for me seeing a little dog snap up a rabbit after a jinking run in a tight field I would get just as much enjoyment and that's the honest truth. :yes:

I know I waffled on a bit but hope the helps Jetro :thumbs:

• Like 10

Hi ashr1.

What's he like for speed and stamina.

Atb j

Hi Jetro, I cant say too much as he hasn't been behind much quarry, i'm going to test him this year that's for sure. All I can do really is compare him to my 24tts saluki X, although he is fast, in an open long distance sprint with my saluki x she is faster BUT when getting up to speed, short bursts, jinking runs, weaving through woods, turning ect he sh*ts all over her to be honest lol, He got his first rab on the lamp at 7 months and I only took him out just for a couple of runs to see what he makes of a rabbit, to be honest I wasn't expecting him to be as keen as he was but he went like a stabbed rat. Stamina wise like I say he hasn't really been tested, in my opinion if you put a massive amount of fitness training into a dog it will be as fit stamina wise as you want but I wont be out on the lamp giving him 50 odd runs a night for me he'll probably get 10-15 runs max and he'd have no problem with that as he is now.

After seeing how he is with quarry and just his actions in general, I can really see why lamping/ferreting people love whippets/whippetX's and how they have such a good reputation for what they do. I honestly can say after seeing him run only a couple of times on the lamp, a bit of ferreting and a few droppers how small dogs like these are built for rabbits, YES a lot of people love talking Saluki Greys and big land and massive runs, but for me seeing a little dog snap up a rabbit after a jinking run in a tight field I would get just as much enjoyment and that's the honest truth. :yes:

I know I waffled on a bit but hope the helps Jetro :thumbs:

Sounds like you've got a sensible attitude mate.

And there've been big whippets about for just as long as their smaller brethren :thumbs:

• Like 2

Cheers guys and here's a couple more pics just for good measure

Bottom pic looks very whippety, next pic up wouldn't argue if it said whippet x grey.

Good looking dog anyway and as you say perfect for rabbits.