Raw Fed Dogs Any Health And Performance Benefits?

Mine get weaned onto meat at 3 weeks and stay on it ... I supplement with eggs goats milk fish veg fruits raw bones etc from day one ... As for feeding amounts every dog is different ... The bitch I kept back from my litter will only eat two proper meals a day and a Small snack lunch time but I know some of her brothers and sisters are on 4 meals a day .......

the pup i just got is a little lean for my liking socks. i got a recipe for mothers milk substitute. its 2 once goats milk a tbl.spoon whole yogourt and one egg. have you tried this i was told it was a good supliment. not that well up on nutrition. i always fed wheatabix and milk.
Yep all good mate and it should be part of the pups diet anyway ... The litter I just raised would have two eggs each scrambled with enough goats milk on top to cool it down for breakfast then two meals of meat during the day then mixed chicken at night with a splash of goats milk to mix it up ... Every other day they would get tinned fish and natural yogurt .......

cheers rats do you always cook the eggs.

If I am making an egg and milk meal yes mate otherwise I will just crack it into a bowl or over the food ... When I'm really lazy I just drop them on the floor and the dogs eat them up shell and all .......

Do you have to throw them up in the air?

There's no way an egg would crack if you dropped it from your height ???

• Like 2

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

id imagine it boils down to the quality of the dry food if you want to get a good back on a dog and your feeding cheap food you would have to feed it twice as much as a good type nut hence more sh1t t

My dogs get worked most days and quite a few nights and the amount of dry food I would have to pump into them to keep them in condition would be ridiculous ... Apart from that dry takes a lot longer t

Mine get weaned onto meat at 3 weeks and stay on it ... I supplement with eggs goats milk fish veg fruits raw bones etc from day one ... As for feeding amounts every dog is different ... The bitch I

Posted Images

I've read that cooking the eggs is better for some reaon but I usually feed them raw (unless it's the left over bits from my kids "dippy eggs").

I'll either break them into the bowl or throw them to the dogs and they catch them with a "crack, crunch, gulp!" I once gave a whole egg to my old 3/4 collie 1/4 greyhound without thinking about what he'd do with it and the daft sod was so soft mouthed he was still carrying it around half an hour later!

• Like 1

I've read that cooking the eggs is better for some reaon but I usually feed them raw (unless it's the left over bits from my kids "dippy eggs").

I'll either break them into the bowl or throw them to the dogs and they catch them with a "crack, crunch, gulp!" I once gave a whole egg to my old 3/4 collie 1/4 greyhound without thinking about what he'd do with it and the daft sod was so soft mouthed he was still carrying it around half an hour later!

Avidin in egg whites reduces uptake of other proteins/ vitamins, cooking reduces this but not completely so if feeding perhaps hard boil so the body can utilize them better and then don’t feed to excess.

Some more here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biotin_deficiency

Edited by sandymere
  • Like 2

Avidin in egg whites reduces uptake of other proteins/ vitamins, cooking reduces this but not completely so if feeding perhaps hard boil so the body can utilize them better and then don’t feed to excess.

Some more here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biotin_deficiency

Don't know how to put a link up, but just read that including the yolk will give you no negative effects from avidin.

The deficiencly will only occur if you fed just the egg whites.

Link was by natasha longo feb 2015.

Actually I think the link is 'cooked eggs deplete nutrition and deactivate proteins' :thumbs:

Edited by shaaark

Many years back my first working dog was a whippet,,,,he was hard as nails, much tougher dog than my bed/whip x collie/grey/whip.....Well back then there was shooting news etc and that was it....no big discussions to be had on diet vs performance.......and as such mine were fed on vitalin and pedigree chum or chappie and omega etc....basically what my parents would buy.......although I've heard a few speak highly of chappie.

Looking back it's no wonder one night we had to carry my whippet back....exhausted........still feel guilty to this day.

He was ok on this diet most of the time day time hunting, but expecting that bit more at night showed its flaws.

Edited by wuyang
  • Like 2

Feeding the likes of raw chicken carcasses when dog lives indoors around kids or adults has the potential to spread bad bacteria around the house that could make the family ill. That would be the only negative.

Feeding the likes of raw chicken carcasses when dog lives indoors around kids or adults has the potential to spread bad bacteria around the house that could make the family ill. That would be the only negative.

A crate soon sorts that mate. Mine all get fed in crates in the garage. Kennel and house dogs...

I wouldn't let them loose in the house with a chicken carcass or meaty bone like you say.

4F593487-A988-4695-AC9D-E6D58113F1A2_zps

My dog was a fussy fooker as a pup. Similar to roybos if I remember right regarding raw his condiotioning suffered.

I only feed meat boiled rabbit chicken carcasses plenty of chicken and beef. I can add what I want to it using a nutribullet gaz. Will add beef dripping if looking a bit on the thin side or after a good nights running. Pain in the arse like gaz but used to it now. He don't eat biscuits. Give him raw lambs bones for his teeth that don't affect his stools.

I gotta 4 year old who gets in the crate with the dog in living room, from time to time wether the dogs in there or not. So even though I would of prefered to use raw it suits the household. Lucky to have a garden around here, never mind a garage haha.

My dog was a fussy fooker as a pup. Similar to roybos if I remember right regarding raw his condiotioning suffered.

I only feed meat boiled rabbit chicken carcasses plenty of chicken and beef. I can add what I want to it using a nutribullet gaz. Will add beef dripping if looking a bit on the thin side or after a good nights running. Pain in the arse like gaz but used to it now. He don't eat biscuits. Give him raw lambs bones for his teeth that don't affect his stools.

I gotta 4 year old who gets in the crate with the dog in living room, from time to time wether the dogs in there or not. So even though I would of prefered to use raw it suits the household. Lucky to have a garden around here, never mind a garage haha.

Haha fair play mate. Sounds like you go to alot of effort but if it suits you and your mutts then that's the main thing and nobody can knock you for that.

What works for one man won't work for another so we have to trial and error and find what works ?

Ive had people saying to me they would of just left it till he ate it but wasn't happening. He's out most nights come the season, and whatever goes into him it ain't done him no harm as he's got plenty of stamina and recovers very quickly after far runs. Totally agree with your last post gaz btw that's exactly what it was...trial and error. Puts the scran away now no problem thank fook ha. People worry about cooking bone, I boil his carcasses including full rabbits. Sh!ts solid and never had a problem with boiled bone. Would never give him roasted bones though.

Ive had people saying to me they would of just left it till he ate it but wasn't happening. He's out most nights come the season, and whatever goes into him it ain't done him no harm as he's got plenty of stamina and recovers very quickly after far runs. Totally agree with your last post gaz btw that's exactly what it was...trial and error. Puts the scran away now no problem thank fook ha. People worry about cooking bone, I boil his carcasses including full rabbits. Sh!ts solid and never had a problem with boiled bone. Would never give him roasted bones though.

That's it mate when they grafting they need the grub in them one way or another. If that means going out of your way then it's what you gotta do. I've not got a fussy eater here, they all guzzle anything down but I think it's luck more than anything.

I've never fed cooked bone but read a few studies that say boiled bone is okay.

Boiled bones are absolutely fine ......

I said that on a barf site on facebook and got banned lol..

I sometimes boil rabbits and bag it up for storage space..

I've found with rabbits and chicken, they totally just fall apart and are safe..

I've never boiled big bones though..

To be honest I don't feed many big bones just lamb or smaller game..

I use raw just cause it the way Iv always done it, and Iv seen other use nothing more than a £7 bag of dry and there dogs can and did put a good shift in,

Think a lot of people don't understand the importance of fittness and true running fittness, it's like I fed minced chicken fancy oils and hours purueing veg think it's a quick fix of hounds in top shape. Diets is only one of the factors same as rest conditioning and work, no point in expecting a car to go if one of the wheels are not right, got have all four right to go forward

I use raw just cause it the way Iv always done it, and Iv seen other use nothing more than a £7 bag of dry and there dogs can and did put a good shift in,

Think a lot of people don't understand the importance of fittness and true running fittness, it's like I fed minced chicken fancy oils and hours purueing veg think it's a quick fix of hounds in top shape. Diets is only one of the factors same as rest conditioning and work, no point in expecting a car to go if one of the wheels are not right, got have all four right to go forward

Good post that Ross. Everything has gotta be in place. They don't get fit eating fillet steak and mackerel. Lol.

I've been out with a couple of lads start of season after their "summer of rest" and seen their poor dogs get embarrassed by the humble coney, and after a few runs the dogs were ready for their beds.

Nothing gets a dog lamp fit like lamping as we all know but I believe a good bit of running alongside the bike can prepare them pretty well.

I've heard of lads who's fitness regimes builds up to a 5km jog. My Plummer runs 10km next to the bike. Lurchers do 20km for fun in between proper walks. They might be useless but they are fit. Lol

• Like 2