Last Night

We went out last night booked in at midight got the first rabbit then things started to go wrong the rabbits where doing there break dancing act from a head shot then running away when you went for them , Parked up in a car park and zero'd the gun again and if anything she was a touch high , Back out on the lamp and it seemed like ever second one was up and off back up a back road six beer cans at 35 yards and ever pellet where it should be :icon_eek: . It had been three hours and we hadnt done a circuit and too say i was pissed off would be a understatement . We shot another rabbit and it didnt go down so my son took a heart shot and felled it where it stood on looking at it the brain was mush where the first pellet had what i would say was a kill shot but it wasnt . Christ knows what was happening it was like they where head butting the pellets :blink: , Swapped over to heart shots and that killed them and the tally mounted up but there must be a good twelve no picked up that are dead in there holes and ive never seen the likes before, just wondering if the pellets where to blame as it was a new tin we opened but the placement was perfect :huh: , From midnight till 5am accounted for 30 rabbits and a pigeon

13652617_10208861134662334_1038524980_n_

• Like 4

That's a good night's shooting and a nice freezer full to keep them ferrets going,the head shot thing is strange because a properly placed pellet should destroy whatever organ it hits,if they were faulty it would be the accuracy that was affected? Something to ponder no doubt...

Christ knows the ones that did go down left a pool of blood and there ears where full of it , so you would say it was a good kill shot . then the next one that took a heart shot to stop it you could see the hole in its head where the pellet had gone , And the rifle was checked zero'd before we left then that was the first thing we checked , then again with the beer cans . Theres nothing that says im a lunatic quite like bouncing beer can about with a air rifle at 3 am in the morning

• Like 1

its a strange one, I've shot a few that have done the breakdance...

I've watched the pellet hit like you say on 30yrd shots and they've gone through the motions of a good clean kill and just fecked off :blink:

still a good nights shooting though :thumbs:

atb si

One think I look for on any recovered pellet is if the pellet skirt is flattened any. This indicates the pellet is wanting to tumble and thus does more damage.

Pellts that don't do this I call drillers and I expect trouble as you describe!

Yep, just like Si said - I've hit a couple well within range. The pellet was spot on, the impact noise was good, I saw it hit but, they still ran.

I've said before, weird things can and do happen while your hunting at night.

Anyway, it's not like you needed the runners ;) - That's a good result :good:

Atb

I use a lazerlite but my lad doesnt like the light on them says it spooks them and hes right it does he sees them a lot better than i do from the street lights , i just like a light on them to follow up after the shot . any ones we had problems from after we picked them up we rip both ears so i can skin them out and check the placement ,pellet etc . Its just i never like to leave anything wounded and there all double hedges low shrubs planted to look nice not for retrieving rabbits from .

• Like 1