Types Of Guard Dogs For Ur Yard .ie. Kennells And House.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

won't be long before they start hitting the headlines.Great dogs if you are doing security/patrol work or using them for sport knvp shutzhund french ring etc but defiantly not what I'd call a yard or

Thats my yard dog kelpie x collie he's tough as old boots and has shifted a few unsavoury caracters from my yard at night on a more than a few occasions.   Also he cracks the whip work wise because

ive nothing worth stealing but living rural ive known plenty of folks targeted by thieves for what little they do have from heating oil to a pensioners savings... ragnar is here to protect my dad and

Posted Images

I have a 7 year old alapaha bulldog (ill never get another) in the house and I have 2 Staffords in kennels on my yard

why whats alapaha bulldog like , good or soft temp dog as regards guard dog, my brother had e/bulldog bitch and she was good little guard, she looked the part, and would growl by your legs, deff put you off going to his place lol

I have a 7 year old alapaha bulldog (ill never get another) in the house and I have 2 Staffords in kennels on my yard

why whats alapaha bulldog like , good or soft temp dog as regards guard dog, my brother had e/bulldog bitch and she was good little guard, she looked the part, and would growl by your legs, deff put you off going to his place lol

He's a bloody good guard dog probably the most intelligent dog I've had, he's my youngest best mate and would die for her but he's been plagued by ill health (especially of late) he's had entroipin from a pup and every year has had to have it rectified, he contracted tetanus at the age of 2 and we almost lost him and really hadn't recovered from that and of late it's like he's just given up, when I walk him it's like walking a 14 year old Labrador that's on his last knocking. He's been tested for everything that can cause lathargy but all have come back clear. It's heartbreaking cos before he was so astute and alert.

image.jpg This is my guard dog,our Tinkerbell haha try getting near mine without her warning us,honestly she's the best guard you could wish for,she has slept at the bottom of my daughters bed ten years now guarding her AT

that's priceless stuff there!!

He's a bloody good guard dog probably the most intelligent dog I've had, he's my youngest best mate and would die for her but he's been plagued by ill health (especially of late) he's had entroipin from a pup and every year has had to have it rectified, he contracted tetanus at the age of 2 and we almost lost him and really hadn't recovered from that and of late it's like he's just given up, when I walk him it's like walking a 14 year old Labrador that's on his last knocking. He's been tested for everything that can cause lathargy but all have come back clear. It's heartbreaking cos before he was so astute and alert.

it doesn't surprise me, most a/b your breed, bullmastiffs all have big health probs, it was one of the reasons i came out of the breed(bullmastiffs) even few pits were getting HD and eye probs. i had lurchers really as i wanted just a healthy type of dog at 1st, but once i knew what they could do, and catch me few dinners i stuck with them now for 30 years. and i still say a good guard collie x gsd, one thats been brought up on a farm a barker/biter ,or a nasty little jack lol

it doesn't surprise me, most a/b your breed, bullmastiffs all have big health probs, it was one of the reasons i came out of the breed(bullmastiffs) even few pits were getting HD and eye probs. i had lurchers really as i wanted just a healthy type of dog at 1st, but once i knew what they could do, and catch me few dinners i stuck with them now for 30 years. and i still say a good guard collie x gsd, one thats been brought up on a farm a barker/biter ,or a nasty little jack lol

Don't know what I'll get yet for a door stopper when he's gone, something big enough to make someone think twice about trying to get in

Don't know what I'll get yet for a door stopper when he's gone, something big enough to make someone think twice about trying to get in

If that pic of the GSD on the fox don't sell ya,I don't know what will :thumbs:

Seriously if it ended up as good obedient hunter,good guard and healthy,that's perfect imo.

Seriously if it ended up as good obedient hunter,good guard and healthy,that's perfect imo.

deff mate :thumbs: ,Buck dam just the same , she guards the house , but goes out with her owner doing fox control with terriers , she had foxes at holes and in cover, thats why i went for her to have a pup from her , and Buck been great dog , plenty of fire in his belly :thumbs::yes:

• Like 1

deff mate :thumbs: ,Buck dam just the same , she guards the house , but goes out with her owner doing fox control with terriers , she had foxes at holes and in cover, thats why i went for her to have a pup from her , and Buck been great dog , plenty of fire in his belly :thumbs::yes:

I do like them alanos but it's a long way off yet, my 2 staffs keep me active but eventually I'll replace them when their time comes, got a lot of time on my hands these days so will keep myself open minded in the next few years

If it's Spanish Alanos you are talking about don't expect them to be anything better than your alapaha and maybe worse.Theres 2 Twats over here that are the main men apparently with them I know of a few people had them from them and they've been plagued with problems and the couple that I've seen in person have been rubbish.Theres nothing wrong with the alapahas if you get the right one but just like any breed do your homework and get one from someone who's working and testing and putting all the relevant health tests on their breeding stock.

• Like 2

I do like them alanos but it's a long way off yet, my 2 staffs keep me active but eventually I'll replace them when their time comes, got a lot of time on my hands these days so will keep myself open minded in the next few years

i like the alanos as well, great breed of dog, not ruined by the KC as yet .! the pups though are fetching silly money, you pay from £1200-1800, you better getting a well bred pit x lurcher do the same job. But as bull breeds go the Alano deff one of the healthiest out there, i reckon x them to a greyhound or lurcher you get great hunting dog, and not bad guard. A out and out guard today are a boerboel , great family dog but hell of a guard dog , but same again they like all big heavy breeds have health probs, like bullmastiffs , but not as bad . but they get over bred and ruined long term :yes: you wont beat a gsd x collie or little jack :thumbs:

• Like 1

i like the alanos as well, great breed of dog, not ruined by the KC as yet .! the pups though are fetching silly money, you pay from £1200-1800, you better getting a well bred pit x lurcher do the same job. But as bull breeds go the Alano deff one of the healthiest out there, i reckon x them to a greyhound or lurcher you get great hunting dog, and not bad guard. A out and out guard today are a boerboel , great family dog but hell of a guard dog , but same again they like all big heavy breeds have health probs, like bullmastiffs , but not as bad . but they get over bred and ruined long term :yes: you wont beat a gsd x collie or little jack :thumbs:
Not ruined by the kc.They are already shit.

If it's Spanish Alanos you are talking about don't expect them to be anything better than your alapaha and maybe worse.Theres 2 Twats over here that are the main men apparently with them I know of a few people had them from them and they've been plagued with problems and the couple that I've seen in person have been rubbish.Theres nothing wrong with the alapahas if you get the right one but just like any breed do your homework and get one from someone who's working and testing and putting all the relevant health tests on their breeding stock.

i think i know the kennels your on about, yeh like say over bred and not health tested HD,elbows, heart, eyes etc. you are right :thumbs: the old type Alano in spain prob better dog to have, if you wanted one,but no better or worse than good 1x pit x grey here. people over here are just jumping on the band wagon regards ped breeds , you better of with old farm x bred, and a 12g by the back door, that would scare the shit out of them going off, with little help from a collie or a jack along the way :D