Stopping The Wobbles

Hi all,

I am new to the sport and find that shooting my springer standing my crosshairs are wobbling all over the place. I have tried regulating my breathing to no avail and wondered if anyone had any other tips , my gun is an LGV .177 so about average weight I guess but cannot fathom how to hold a steady aim when notnusing a stand of somekind.

Trev

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sit back and enjoy it Phil   It's just a bit of male bonding between Mark and Nicepix.   We only need to be concerned if we hear a little piggy squeal   On the plus side Mark, your sketching

Hi Trev, I try to avoid free standing, un- supported shots like the plague but If I have no option, then I will walk the area with the magnification as low as possible, lower the sights slowly

Just loads of practice trev Or shoot of a bypod It's very hard to shoot free standing , I can't do it I dare say mark will be along soon , on about the shoting sticks , arrrrr well ! Atb Dav

Posted Images

Thanks Dave,

I'm not a weakling I think, I was a bow shooter for years but I find it very difficult keeping the gun steady . Only just started and there are so many opinions and different choices and ideas it is confusing at first. I went and bought the LGV master really on a whim and was wondering if I had made a daft choice due to weight etc. And that was the problem. Looking to find a club near me now in north wales so I can get in plenty of prCtice, thanks again.

• Like 1

Freestanding is pretty difficult for most people and most certainly me but a friend told me of a method which did improve matters although I was using a PCP rifle. Take in a deep breath and at about half way on exhale aim and shoot within a max of 5 seconds. I worked on 5 seconds then 3 seconds which is quite easy to do and found that you take the shot before the gun really starts to wobble very much.

I must say that I practiced this each day and it did make quite an improvement although given a chance I will always shoot off my Trigger Grip Tripod, sat down if I can but the above method has allowed me to shoot the odd rabbit, crow and woody.

Worth a try

Phil

• Like 1

You won't stop those wobbles mate. Like Walshie says - the longer you have the rifle up, the worse it'll get and, the higher the mag on your scope, the worse it looks.

I asked the same question on another forum a while back - the best advice I was given was 'Don't dilly dally - when the shot's on, take it'. I was also told to accept that a success rate with standing shots will be lower. Of course, there is no substitute for practice.

I actually enjoy practicing it with my .22 TX200hc. It's heavy and difficult. I tend to bring the rifle up and over the target and, slow it down as the crosshairs come down through the target then fire. I guess that I've got the rifle up for around 3 seconds.

This works for me but, I know some people prefer to bring the rifle up through the target to fire. I think you'll just need to find a way that works for you.

Atb & good luck :)

Edited by Jonjon79
  • Like 2

Thanks to everyone for the replies, i will keep at it, any opinions on the rifle? Good choice or not for a starter? I went in after an HW95 but somehow walked out with the LGV master pro! As I didnt know anyone to ask I had to rely on the shop which is not always a great idea, at least my experience with high end bows seemed to be that way, must have gone through half a dozen before experience led me through all the nonsense to a decent piece of kit, a very expensive journey, albeit a learning one. Thanks again everyone,

Been and had a bash at this,15 yards down the garden and after trying to get the gun balanced and comfy go this group of five,

post-91341-0-84862600-1466621916_thumb.jpg

Come on let's see some honest offhand groups and then we can all understand and maybe explain or exchange tips better!!

• Like 2