Stopping The Wobbles

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sit back and enjoy it Phil   It's just a bit of male bonding between Mark and Nicepix.   We only need to be concerned if we hear a little piggy squeal   On the plus side Mark, your sketching

Hi Trev, I try to avoid free standing, un- supported shots like the plague but If I have no option, then I will walk the area with the magnification as low as possible, lower the sights slowly

Just loads of practice trev Or shoot of a bypod It's very hard to shoot free standing , I can't do it I dare say mark will be along soon , on about the shoting sticks , arrrrr well ! Atb Dav

Posted Images

I found the forehand is the problem,the slightest movement seems huge through the scope,lots of shots were taken til I got myself comfortable and I had to keep adjusting the leading hand as each hold seemed to affect things quite a bit,i held the rifle like normal but with my forefinger held out parallel with the stock,right back near the trigger guard...

• Like 1

Hi Trev,

I try to avoid free standing, un- supported shots like the plague but If I have no option, then I will walk the area with the magnification as low as possible, lower the sights slowly onto the target whilst slowly exhaling, forearm as vertical as I can off the hip, palm up, rifle rested not gripped, squeeze off the shot.

I learned to walk my farm buildings anti clockwise to give me support and use the building as cover as I`m a right handed shooter. Use this principle in the woods and fields too.

If your left handed, walk clockwise :laugh:

Keep practicing mate, you will always get better at what you do.

atb

• Like 3

Been and had a bash at this,15 yards down the garden and after trying to get the gun balanced and comfy go this group of five,

attachicon.gifIMG_20160622_193842.jpg

Come on let's see some honest offhand groups and then we can all understand and maybe explain or exchange tips better!!

Here's one of mine from March :o

20 freehand shots at 30yrds from a .22 TX.

post-102688-0-73319200-1466626776_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jonjon79
  • Like 1

I avoid freestanding shots when possible. I use shooting sticks, a handy tree, a rock, my knee while sitting down, whatever. Any seasoned hunter will tell you the same -- use whatever's available to take the variables out of the shooting equation.

Even then, just your pulse will move the rifle round on aim, which on maximum magnification will be very apparent. The trick is to time the trigger release between heartbeats when the crosshairs are on the target, and that comes through practice.

• Like 1

I took a walk last night with a rifle.

Four rabbits two at 100 ish, a jackdaw and a woodie. All off hand.

Also shot at a crow beyond 300 yds. Guessed the wind right but held too high. Off hand.

I don't know why many find it so hard!

Perhaps it has more to do with a perceived fear of ever missing.

Miss I do and guess what, life still goes on after and I don't cry. (Much).

U.

Edited by Underdog
  • Like 2

Also shot at a crow beyond 300 yds. Guessed the wind right but held too high. Off hand.

U.

Sticks have their place in air rifle shooting. They allow women, children and the disabled to enjoy the sport ;)

• Like 1

U.

Sticks have their place in air rifle shooting. They allow women, children and the disabled to enjoy the sport ;)

Absolutely.

My apologies for my oversight.

U.?

• Like 1