New Pack

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fantastic post. You won't go far wrong following this advice.

I can't work it out myself mate. I was warned when I got this bitch by a few people about negative comments etc but didn't expect people to be so hostile toward them. If I said my Jack Russell was a g

As Iv said about on my Plummer bitch on other posts she was abit slow starting if I'm honest but when the penny dropped she's turned into a handy dog she's got a fantastic nose on her and she gives it

Everyone's a expert on here ain't they, gav you comment on everything you must have no life. You've had one Plummer and think you know everything about them ?, Like I said and will say it once more ,there ok for mooching about nothing to seriouse, there no hound or spaniel, I've not said I don't like them, But you will only see lads that like a bit of ferreting, ratting or doing small places that own them. They soon fall behind against a hardy purpose bred dog!!! Carnt believe I've got into a debate with use ? Lads I'm out?

I don't see anyone trying to be an expert or pretending they know everything?

I just shared my own experience and said that there are decent ones about, which wouldn't fall behind against a purpose bred busher, after all the Plummer IS a purpose bred busher.

I don't think the beagle blood was added for any other reason. Do you?

Some people just can't see past their bad experiences and that's okay ?

plenty tongue in cheek when these plummers get a mention,guilty of it myself and never even seen one work lol but i do trust some lads i know with their own personal experiences of working them and none have rated them, others opinions id take with a pinch of salt,plucky obviously knows his stuff and if he says 95% of them are poor thats good enough for me.

fancied working one myself so tried sourcing a decent pup only to be told they aint for me ffs lol,give it up seen them or not they aint no super breed warranting super price tags.

il stick to the spaniel x terriers i know where im at with them and what they capable of,they suit me and definately suit the land i work them on,maybe il get out with a plummer one day but probably not,dont want to give the owner the satisfaction of saying yeah mate you got a good one :D

• Like 4

well ive had some decent russells over the years. but none of them could match my old plummer Sassy on top.. she has a very decent nose and plenty of drive. seems to have the knack of putting stuff out that the others either couldnt or wouldnt. my crossbred russell/plummer is coming along very similar :thumbs: i like all terriers but have settled with this breed . i reckon the 95% remark was mede about all plummers in general and this could be cut right down with a little homework. as with all breeds there is a lot of second rate stock bred . but by sourcing the right stuff you stand a good chance of getting a decent busher. mooching terrier. possibly the best purebred terrier for this line of work. :D

• Like 2

As Iv said about on my Plummer bitch on other posts she was abit slow starting if I'm honest but when the penny dropped she's turned into a handy dog she's got a fantastic nose on her and she gives it her all and you can't ask for more than that why do people always slate them so much they're like any other terrier they all got pro's and cons and some will be better than others

• Like 4

As Iv said about on my Plummer bitch on other posts she was abit slow starting if I'm honest but when the penny dropped she's turned into a handy dog she's got a fantastic nose on her and she gives it her all and you can't ask for more than that why do people always slate them so much they're like any other terrier they all got pro's and cons and some will be better than others

I can't work it out myself mate. I was warned when I got this bitch by a few people about negative comments etc but didn't expect people to be so hostile toward them. If I said my Jack Russell was a good busher that would be the end of it, if I said my fell terrier was a good ratter it would be okay and if I said my beagle was good at hunting up it would be pats on the back. But say your Plummer is a good busher, rather or hunter and you might aswell put your head on the chopping block. Lol

• Like 4

I can't work it out myself mate. I was warned when I got this bitch by a few people about negative comments etc but didn't expect people to be so hostile toward them. If I said my Jack Russell was a good busher that would be the end of it, if I said my fell terrier was a good ratter it would be okay and if I said my beagle was good at hunting up it would be pats on the back. But say your Plummer is a good busher, rather or hunter and you might aswell put your head on the chopping block. Lol

fell terrier good at ratting have a day off lol,like i said lot tongue in cheek dont get hung up on it,i hear your going out with some decent spaniel types this season,you will see then if yours is lacking in comparison if at all

• Like 1

I've had a few walks out with a tri coloured plummer dog. Couldn't knock it hunting up above. Very keen in cover.. and dug it's self in a time or two. Ferret in a dogs body!! LOL...

I wouldn't be encouraging them digging after rabbits as they will get into trouble, you've just got to be firm and move them on, they'll soon get the score that a mark is fine but digging after them a big NO,NO, WM

• Like 1

I warned you about getting a Plummer, I'll still take that bitch off you LOL's, Gaz don't get excited by the lads taking the p*ss its boring on here in the summer so they need some one to "hunt", 9/10ths of the knockers will just be going off hearsay and rumour, I have to agree with a large number of the posts on other terriers being handy as well but most of them will be "one offs" that have been scatter bred, I've owned some excellent russells that have been nearly as good as my Plummers,even bred a line of patt/Plummers that were top drawer but they could not reproduce steady working progeny of a decent standard, the closest thing to my line was the russell/plummer's, not much different than my present line of Plummers,good honest workers but then again could not reproduce dogs as good as themselves, for the last 6yrs I've constantly produced a lot of steady workers as good as themselves,capable of working the thickest of heavy cover even at this time of year,no eye problems from nettles,etc, with a steady catch rate, my bitch "ROSIE" is due her pups next Thursday and very large but still caught a few in heavy cover today, my other bitch also caught a few and she is 2 weeks behind her in whelp, I can rely on these terriers to put away anything before them,they are out everyday and kill massive numbers in 12 months, they suit the work I do and thats all they need to do,satisfy me, my mate brings a spaniel that works cover but to say it could work the same kind of heavy bramble,gorse,etc as a terrier is laughable at best, I gave probably one of the best bitches I've bred to another mate that breeds and works cockers and he admits himself that his cockers are not in the same league as her so make of it as you find yourself, some breeds just suit you and what you do and others will struggle or just do what they like,its a personal choice and one that only has to suit you, p.s. as an after thought the lad that started this thread has still not arranged a day out despite my offer, WM

• Like 1

fell terrier good at ratting have a day off lol,like i said lot tongue in cheek dont get hung up on it,i hear your going out with some decent spaniel types this season,you will see then if yours is lacking in comparison if at all

I ain't hung up on it mate. Doesn't matter a dot to me. I ain't breeding plummers or trying to push them on people. And yeh I'm off out for a day with some decent bushing spaniels come winter.

I warned you about getting a Plummer, I'll still take that bitch off you LOL's, Gaz don't get excited by the lads taking the p*ss its boring on here in the summer so they need some one to "hunt", 9/10ths of the knockers will just be going off hearsay and rumour, I have to agree with a large number of the posts on other terriers being handy as well but most of them will be "one offs" that have been scatter bred, I've owned some excellent russells that have been nearly as good as my Plummers,even bred a line of patt/Plummers that were top drawer but they could not reproduce steady working progeny of a decent standard, the closest thing to my line was the russell/plummer's, not much different than my present line of Plummers,good honest workers but then again could not reproduce dogs as good as themselves, for the last 6yrs I've constantly produced a lot of steady workers as good as themselves,capable of working the thickest of heavy cover even at this time of year,no eye problems from nettles,etc, with a steady catch rate, my bitch "ROSIE" is due her pups next Thursday and very large but still caught a few in heavy cover today, my other bitch also caught a few and she is 2 weeks behind her in whelp, I can rely on these terriers to put away anything before them,they are out everyday and kill massive numbers in 12 months, they suit the work I do and thats all they need to do,satisfy me, my mate brings a spaniel that works cover but to say it could work the same kind of heavy bramble,gorse,etc as a terrier is laughable at best, I gave probably one of the best bitches I've bred to another mate that breeds and works cockers and he admits himself that his cockers are not in the same league as her so make of it as you find yourself, some breeds just suit you and what you do and others will struggle or just do what they like,its a personal choice and one that only has to suit you, p.s. as an after thought the lad that started this thread has still not arranged a day out despite my offer, WM

Lol she isn't going anywhere. Haha.

It's a shame the lad didn't take you up on your offer, I suppose there is time yet.