Jill Or Hob

What is everyone's opinion on what a beginner should have first and why? I'm a novice and am getting two hobs because I have been told they are a bit more easy going. So my logic is that for someone who hasn't had ferrets before this is a good idea to start out this way. Am I wrong? If so then why? ATB Kinga

Either would be good for a beginner. I started off keeping hobs but theirs no difference temperament wise. Their all easy going if handled enough. Id advise getting 2 cages though so you can separate them if they start chewing each others necks during the breeding season. Jills can usually all live in the one cage with no problems through the summer and they dont smell anything like the hobs. Hobs stink when their in season and they only need to rub against your clothes slightly, then you stink like a ferret too.

• Like 1

I only use Jills these days, I find I get less lay ups,and if a rabbits intention is to escape, they can still drag a Jill to the net, the down side is usually they have less stamina so you need to carry more ferrets (that being said Jill are lighter so it evens out almost) its horses for courses but that’s my opinion. both are friendly if well handled, I use a vasectomised hob to bring them out of season, if I want to breed a particular line I use a friends hob.

What about as I'm not going to breed them I was thinking of neutering them. Does this affect working ability or temperament much. Is this common practice or do most of you keep them intact even if you wont breed? ATB kinga

• Like 1

Basically I guess what I'm asking is if you had to start again and could have any type and number what would it be? Snipped hob x2 or three intact jills or one hob one Jill both intact in separate cages? Or any other mix? ATB kinga

If you don’t want to breed get 2 Jill’s and a medium sized hob and have them all fixed, they will live happily in one large, cage.It wont effect them at all, hob will smell less you will have all bases covered then :-)

Six and half a dozen mate . A good mature working jill will kill rabbits as easy as a hob but you will be able to keep two or more together during the breeding season . With hobs you will need to get them castrated or separate them and they will smell a bit during there breeding season but daily cleaning out cures that

If you dont want to breed get 2 Jills and a medium sized hob and have them all fixed, they will live happily in one large, cage.It wont effect them at all, hob will smell less you will have all bases covered then :-)

What exactly do you mean by fixed? Is that the same as neutering? ATB kinga

Edited by Kinga

If you dont want to breed get 2 Jills and a medium sized hob and have them all fixed, they will live happily in one large, cage.It wont effect them at all, hob will smell less you will have all bases covered then :-)

What exactly do you mean by fixed? Is that the same as neutering? ATB kinga

Yes mate that's what it means this will stop them trying to sh*g each other in the breeding season and they can be kept together all year being neutered doesn't affect there working ability in any way

Hobs for Jobs mate.

Jills are for the work/shovel shy slackers who don't want to do any graft...lol.

A good hob is worth a box full of jills all day long. :laugh:

If your not digging,your leaving rabbits below.

I have worked some incredibly good killer jills in the past,but even the best of them cant take a full days graft and are fast asleep in the box by mid morning. . . A good hob is like a machine and never stops,they just love to graft.

I would get 2 Hobs of a small to medium size if poss... none of these big huge fat lumps but big enough to hold a bunny.