Jill Or Hob

For a beginners life at home - hobs are the best as they take to their owners much better... soft as shit, will sleep on your lap and generally seek your company. The girls don't want to be around you for long, but are less likely to hold a rabbit underground. Hobs have more stamina for the long hunt but will have you seeking/pulling and digging more. Each have their advantages and you cant really go too wrong if your willing to work with their style.

But these are stereotypical statements. You could end up with a heavy weight, human loving jill. Find their strengths and work with them.

• 7 years later...

Hey everyone.

Was hoping some of you could have a read and possible help me learn more.

And even a few tips or information would be much appreciated.

Hoping to home a hob or Jill hopefully younger so I can train from young and grow a strong bond.

More so as a pet, as I think it fits best into my life schedule. As I do live in a city. 

Never owned one but willing to learn and do what's necessary for the ferret(s) to live its best life.lfe.ve in the United Kingdom, Hampshire.

Struggling to find either a reputable breeder or just someone or somewhere that I can get one or two nearby.

I know they are best in pairs or groups as they are sociable and can be pretty active once awoken from slumber.

But is it possible to keep justineas a pet and still have it be happy? In terms of enrichment and just not being lonely without a fellow ferret companion. If so I would be willing to get another to pair once I have plenty experience with my first.

Also am told Jill's can be very active, often working towards a goal/objective.

While a hob can be more laid back and cuddly but also possible have a far mustier odour.

Which would you recommend in terms of one or possible even a pair if absolutely necessary.

Here is my general thoughts or concerns regarding choice.

I work from 7am till 5pm generally and am off for atleast 2 days a week.

So got atleast 4-6 hrs a day to give them my attention.

Live in an apartment so I think I would do a 2 story possible 3 story cage, with beds, food ,toys litter box etc. With an outer cage just for them to freely roam a larger area while I'm home but unable to give them my absolute full attention.

Will probably chip them so I can go for walks and take then out to the big yard we have. That literally no one uses..

My worries as to being able to home a ferret(s):

Also my main concern is that I have to convince my owner to allow me to keep them as a pet. As I'm sure he would have some concerns as we ever only had a neighbourhood cat visit on occasion which I treated like my own before it dissappear 3 months later. 😢

I've done a little pros and cons list but I think I will need some solid facts or evidence as to why they would not be much a big issue to house in the shared space.

Have a fairly good sized room bigger than most in the uk.

measured out a corner in my room already for all their enclosure bits and pieces. Area to roam etc.

Any help whatsoever will be appreciated. ❤️

All seriousness mate, get a hamster or something. A lot easier in your situation than a ferret, they aren’t really indoor animals in my opinion although people do keep them indoors. If you really really want a ferret you’ll need two as they are sociable animals and prefer company. Best thing is get two and have them neutered as this will limit the smell but not eliminate it and stop issues with coming into season. They are very instinct driven animals and in my opinion should be worked but they are very friendly and docile animals so not bad pets. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Matthew.L said:

More so as a pet, as I think it fits best into my life schedule. As I do live in a city. 

Yeah, what Bob said above, they need company, stink and are not good as just a pet in a house. I had ferrets for around 50 years but if I was you I'd get a cat. You'll get sick of a ferret around if you don't work them.

23 hours ago, Matthew.L said:

Hey everyone.

Was hoping some of you could have a read and possible help me learn more.

And even a few tips or information would be much appreciated.

Hoping to home a hob or Jill hopefully younger so I can train from young and grow a strong bond.

Never owned one but willing to learn and do what's necessary for the ferret(s) to live its best life.lfe.ve in the United Kingdom, Hampshire.

Struggling to find either a reputable breeder or just someone or somewhere that I can get one or two nearby.

I know they are best in pairs or groups as they are sociable and can be pretty active once awoken from slumber.

But is it possible to keep justineas a pet and still have it be happy? In terms of enrichment and just not being lonely without a fellow ferret companion. If so I would be willing to get another to pair once I have plenty experience with my first.

Also am told Jill's can be very active, often working towards a goal/objective.

While a hob can be more laid back and cuddly but also possible have a far mustier odour.

Which would you recommend in terms of one or possible even a pair if absolutely necessary.

Here is my general thoughts or concerns regarding choice.

I work from 7am till 5pm generally and am off for atleast 2 days a week.

So got atleast 4-6 hrs a day to give them my attention.

Live in an apartment so I think I would do a 2 story possible 3 story cage, with beds, food ,toys litter box etc. With an outer cage just for them to freely roam a larger area while I'm home but unable to give them my absolute full attention.

Will probably chip them so I can go for walks and take then out to the big yard we have. That literally no one uses..

My worries as to being able to home a ferret(s):

Also my main concern is that I have to convince my owner to allow me to keep them as a pet. As I'm sure he would have some concerns as we ever only had a neighbourhood cat visit on occasion which I treated like my own before it dissappear 3 months later. 😢

I've done a little pros and cons list but I think I will need some solid facts or evidence as to why they would not be much a big issue to house in the shared space.

Have a fairly good sized room bigger than most in the uk.

measured out a corner in my room already for all their enclosure bits and pieces. Area to roam etc.

Any help whatsoever will be appreciated. ❤️

What the other guys said is all true and yes they smell especially when in season spring and early summer. If I was you I would think long and hard and try and find somewhere you could go and handle them.

But I had a girl stop when I was loading the truck with my ferrets she kept a Hob ferret and would take it for walks was just a pet. She had my ferrets out was cuddling them and making a fuss of them. My ferreting mate off loaded a Hob that grew to be an over sized thing like a bloody otter to a different girl and she loved if. They are escape artist and this one fell from a first floor window and survived in an escape attempt. So it is possible but think it through mate.

Buy in the spring there will be Kits about then if you go for it.

Cheers Arry