I Think The Vet Could Be Wrong .......

Agree with all of the above posts. Interfere as little as possible they will come out naturally 9 times out of 10, keep things calm and quiet, Its the beach ball that may take some time, there's always one monster in there.

My advice to anyone breeding pups is take her temperature regular when she is due. It will drop rapidly below 100 when she is due to whelp, If nothing is happening within 12 hours after the temp drop and her temperature goes up above normal give the vet a call. Same goes if she is constantly pushing hard (at any point) for a long time (more than 1.5 - 2 hours max) and nothing is happening, call the vet it could be an emergency.

BEST ADVICE ONCE SHE STARTS MAKE A NOTE OF EVERYTHING ON PAPER. TIME SHE HAD FIRST ONE, TIME SHE FIRST STARTED TO PUSH FOR EACH PUP. THE VET WILL NEED THIS INFORMATION IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS. AN HOUR CAN SEEM LIKE A WEEK IF SHE IS HAVING A HARD TIME. WRITE IT DOWN SO YOU KNOW WHERE YOU ARE AT. DON'T JUST ESTIMATE OR GUESS.

Don't worry if your bitch goes over due. I have had them go 70 days even a few days more if she has had s few consecutive mating's. It can take many hours for a full litter of pups to be born with the bitch often sleeping for a few hours between pups appearing. Big litters are often born in batches of 2-3 and it can take 8 hours or so often with a still born taking a while longer.

If you do need to help with a backward birth keep your hands and nails very clean (AND ONLY EVER PULL VERY GENTLY WHEN SHE PUSSHES) but as a rule leave the bitch be and maybe just help with the removal of the sack around the pups mouth when the pups are born. Your bitch will become VERY stressed at times, don't panic my friend, mother nature generally takes its course, she is ok.

I generally let the bitch eat most of the afterbirths but to many will make her sick. Have plenty of newspaper old towels and bin bags on hand. When she is finished try and get plenty fluid into her maybe add a dash of milk to her water to encourage her but don't give her milk it will just go right through her. If she has a smallish kennel keep an eye out for the first time she empties out after the pups as it will be everywhere and will need cleaned up.

When you are all done do not have the kennel over warm feel the pups if they are warm they are ok. As a rule of thumb quiet pups are happy pups. Finally if your bitch rejects one or if it can't suckle properly don't fight on with it I am afraid in my experience they never make it. Better to sort it out when the pup is a day or two old rather than a week old.

Edited by toblue

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh and thirdly because she is my bitch and I fukcing wanted to ........

There's a nice small black dog and merle bitch ...... 

Just got from the vets where I had asked for a second scan. She is carrying no water and he can still only see five pups but there could be one or two more .... However his exact words were ... Fukc me that's the biggest pup I have ever seen on a scan she is going to struggle to pass that ... He is supposed to be off next weekend but gave me his personal mobile number Incase she needs to fine for a c section .......

Just got from the vets where I had asked for a second scan. She is carrying no water and he can still only see five pups but there could be one or two more .... However his exact words were ... Fukc me that's the biggest pup I have ever seen on a scan she is going to struggle to pass that ... He is supposed to be off next weekend but gave me his personal mobile number Incase she needs to fine for a c section .......

lets just hope hes wrong about that one pup socks and she can have a easy labour. good luck with her hope all goes well

A friendly, reliable vet is a godsend. Good luck, I'm sure it will go well.

Yep they can be wrong my vet said 7 I got 11 3 weeks old atmM0tG9D5.jpg

Good strong looking pups for the size of the litter, bitch has done well :thumbs:

Are they pure bull?

Pure as they come, sire has papers

Yep they can be wrong my vet said 7 I got 11 3 weeks old atmM0tG9D5.jpg

Good strong looking pups for the size of the litter, bitch has done well :thumbs:

Are they pure bull?

Pure as they come, sire has papers

How's he bred? PM if you prefer.

I've just reared a litter of bulls first litter in a few years I forgot what hard work it was and I only had 8 pups, you'll definitely have your hands full with 11 of them :laugh:

Edited by BGD