Do Tadpoles Hibernate

As above. Noticed a big lump of frogspawn the other day and thought it was a little early as there are still frosts, then f**k me, looked closer and there are big fat tadpoles swimming about!

There isnt a chance that they are this year's as id have noticed the spawn so the only logical answer is these taddys have 'hibernated' over winter, it's been mild enough to i guess but I've spoke to a couple of people who categorically tell me taddys don't hibernate.

• Like 1

As above. Noticed a big lump of frogspawn the other day and thought it was a little early as there are still frosts, then f**k me, looked closer and there are big fat tadpoles swimming about!

There isnt a chance that they are this year's as id have noticed the spawn so the only logical answer is these taddys have 'hibernated' over winter, it's been mild enough to i guess but I've spoke to a couple of people who categorically tell me taddys don't hibernate.

I've got exactly the same as you mate, they are last years tadpoles which for some reason didn't develope properly like all the others. The frogs always spawn in my redundant concrete filters (away from the carp) and I have been watching them from about this time last year, and no, they don't hibernate. When the filters got a layer of ice you could see them moving about underneath.

• Like 1

they dont hibernate but if they are a late spawn they can stay as tadpoles till the following spring.

• Like 1