Any ideas what will clean the carbon deposits off my mod its caked on tried everything to clean it off including kettle descaler even soaked the parts in vinegar nothing will shift it Napier bore cleaner has no effect only other option i can think off is to use a wire brush in a drill which i want to avoid in case i cause any lasting damage. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

Crunch

Which mod off which rifle and how many shots have been through it?

Normally an overnight soak in washing up liquid will soften enough to clean, or of course solvents, but if it is seriously well burnt on you may have to get serious to clean it?

Edited by Deker

If it's anything like the carbon deposits from car brakes, you could try Valet Pro Bilbury wheel cleaner as it's acid free and very effective on alloys. Not 100% sure how the blackening would react on a black moderator. Might be safest on silver, unless you want to be the 1st to try!

Edited by Alsone
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a thought, but how do you lads clean a T8 moderator?

I normally squirt a bit of WD40 into the can when I have finished just to try and drive out any moisture. Apart from that I can only think of soaking the whole thing in diesel or something, although I'm sure that this would have a detrimental effect on the outside coating.

G

Just a thought, but how do you lads clean a T8 moderator?

I normally squirt a bit of WD40 into the can when I have finished just to try and drive out any moisture. Apart from that I can only think of soaking the whole thing in diesel or something, although I'm sure that this would have a detrimental effect on the outside coating.

G

...........I didn't think they needed any help to rot away, I thought they simply did that by themselves, like a sort of built in obsolescence!

:laugh::thumbs:

PS

To be fair they do a stainless now I believe, still not up to the P8 in my book!

:thumbs:

Edited by Deker

I had a Wildcat on my .223 and although it was strippable it was also unbelievably heavy.

I have had a T8 on my .243 for @ 10 years now and have the T8 Scout on my .308 and neither have been a problem.

Perhaps it's because I squirt WD40 into them after use. :whistling::thumbs:

G

I had a Wildcat on my .223 and although it was strippable it was also unbelievably heavy.

I have had a T8 on my .243 for @ 10 years now and have the T8 Scout on my .308 and neither have been a problem.

G

P8 COMPACT is the route, smaller and lighter than T8 or P8, fine up to and including .308! :thumbs:

G

P8 COMPACT is the route, smaller and lighter than T8 or P8, fine up to and including .308! :thumbs:

Trouble is it's another £220? to fork out when I don't need one as yet.

Went out with the .308 today just to play at a new 200yd plate that we have set up on the shoot. It really does make all the differnce with a moderator as we can shoot without ear protection and have a little bit of banter.

Jeeze, when you see a bloody gert ding in a 12mm plate at 200yds you appreciate the knock-down power of a 150grn .308 bullet. :icon_eek:

G