Moderator Cleaning?

Just picked up a new SAK moderator. The supplied instructions state `due to heavy metals and toxic residue SAK do not recommend the cleaning or dismantling of their moderators. Cleaning is unnecessary` Is this just a precaution on their part, or don't shooters clean moderators any more?

I take my mods off the rifles and find with the sak the outer tube comes of leaving the inner baffle still on the rifle

Then I have to grab the baffle and unscrew that and if its left unclean I get greasy black shit all over my hands

I just give my SAK silencer a clean once every 1000 rounds or so. I personally just leave it in boiling water then use a nail brush to get any stubborn dirt off. Then light spray of WD40 leave to soke then blow it out with an air line. Pretty much the same with the wildcat on the .22-250 but every 50 rounds with that. The .22lr o rarely clean the barrel internally just wipe out and oil the chamber now and again. But always wipe over with oily rag once dried naturally after a wet night.

Regards

Dan

Iv'e had my Parker Hale mod over 10yrs and fired 1000s through it and never cleaned it once.

It is probally jammed solid with gunge so i'd be better off getting a new one.

Have never cleaned the barrel either and it shoots spot on.

All i've ever done is cleaned the bolt and scrubbed the chamber a few times

due to a few empty cases sticking. CZ 452.

I used to clean my SAK in the early (and more enthusiastic) days. I don't bother these days. I'm too busy chasing foxes around farms! :laugh::laugh: . Like SS says, for £35 it is not worth the fanny around. Besides that I know a guy who has never cleaned is and he too has put 1000s through the rifle. He adamantly believes that it aids with the suppression on a rimmy.

If you have the time then why not, but I don't spent too much time on the rimfire mods.

I tend to knock out the crud, give it a right session banging it on the likes of an old telephone directory or Argos catalogue.

Centrefires mods are a whole different matter! :thumbs:

• Like 1

Same here in the early days I used to strip mine and clean the, baffles tried petrol , wd 40 and others stuff as they where nearly welded together got piles of crude off them , then you got to resign to the rifle and I didn't think it made any diffrence to the sound level so I stopped it