Be Honest

I've dug for 26yrs and could name 5 that I would rate highly!

Maybe I'm a shite terrierman but I've seen many many dogs fail and legends spew, in my experience 99% of terrier boys are either easily pleased or just out right liars!

Then I guess it's down to individual requirements and expectations, but I've got worse with age not better and won't feed crap.

Keep digging

. Atb Thrush.

Are you still feeding the bull Russell you got off here mate

Yep he still here!
  • Like 3

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A lot of lads seldom have dogs that make the grade because of their own inadequacies rather than the terriers. Ive seen some that dont look after or bond with a pup properly and expect it to go the f

I think it depends on what some would class as making the grade,everyone has different standards and keep different types of workers as in the way terriers work there game.If you breed a terrier that

The title of the post is honesty ,right up my street so here goes .I'm reading this thread and thinking smuggly to myself that alls rosy after reading the doom and gloom of failed litters and failed m

I think it depends on what some would class as making the grade,everyone has different standards and keep different types of workers as in the way terriers work there game.If you breed a terrier that enters easily stays until dug no matter what the situation and continues to do so each season then i reckon it has made the grade no matter what ts work style may be,jmho.

:thumbs::thumbs: ,That's the thing about the question, no disrespect to the original poster, but there is no standard for terrier work.

If a lads standard is ratting there's a good chance he'll breed plenty of good terriers,,,,to his standard.

If a man likes a terrier that'll bolt a fox but not stay, then he's got a good chance of finding a good one too.

If a lad is lucky enough to live in a country where he can legally dig Badger's then he might have to go through a few before finding the one he wants.......................unless doubling or trebling them up is acceptable to him.

We have to trust the man behind the breeding and seeing with your own two eyes is a big help and if you have friends who's words you can trust 100% then you're an even luckier fellow.

• Like 7

I think it depends on what some would class as making the grade,everyone has different standards and keep different types of workers as in the way terriers work there game.If you breed a terrier that enters easily stays until dug no matter what the situation and continues to do so each season then i reckon it has made the grade no matter what ts work style may be,jmho.

:thumbs::thumbs: ,That's the thing about the question, no disrespect to the original poster, but there is no standard for terrier work.

If a lads standard is ratting there's a good chance he'll breed plenty of good terriers,,,,to his standard.

If a man likes a terrier that'll bolt a fox but not stay, then he's got a good chance of finding a good one too.

If a lad is lucky enough to live in a country where he can legally dig Badger's then he might have to go through a few before finding the one he wants.......................unless doubling or trebling them up is acceptable to him.

We have to trust the man behind the breeding and seeing with your own two eyes is a big help and if you have friends who's words you can trust 100% then you're an even luckier fellow.

Bolting terriers often stay far longer than their dug to cousins and far more often.

Like This

neil cooney

Today, 08:40 PM

,That's the thing about the question, no disrespect to the original poster, but there is no standard for terrier work.

Wow wow wow am I reading this right doubling or trebling up on badgers who in there right mind would contemplate entering two or three dogs into a badger sett the only thing to come out of that is a bloodbath and very little damage to the badger the mind boggles ffs.

There's too many of the fat smelly flea ridden Baastards. There's quite a lot of badger about as well. Pmsl.

• Like 1

Like This

neil cooney

,That's the thing about the question, no disrespect to the original poster, but there is no standard for terrier work.

Wow wow wow am I reading this right doubling or trebling up on badgers who in there right mind would contemplate entering two or three dogs into a badger sett the only thing to come out of that is a bloodbath and very little damage to the badger the mind boggles ffs.

There's too many of the fat smelly flea ridden Baastards. There's quite a lot of badger about as well. Pmsl.

Good to see Mole that you're still PYSL, keep at it.

I used badger digging as an example for those who're still at it where allowed.

Personally, I've never been lucky enough.

• Like 1

Can anyone really be honest bout terriers I don't think so from what iv seem I put it at 90% failure rate in lines of terriers of iv used. There's a story to be told for every dog and bitch.And it gets better for every pup sold ha ha terrier men telllin the truth.

• Like 1

Like This

neil cooney

Good to see Mole that you're still PYSL, keep at it.

I used badger digging as an example for those who're still at it where allowed.

Personally, I've never been lucky enough.

Just you keep spouting your own pish but mind keep spreading Lots Of Love XXX.

I remember somebody well he wants to be somebody ask me if I knew what LOL meant. Pmsl. XXX.

Can anyone really be honest bout terriers I don't think so from what iv seem I put it at 90% failure rate in lines of terriers of iv used. There's a story to be told for every dog and bitch.And it gets better for every pup sold ha ha terrier men telllin the truth.

90% failure rate?,Thats the average Beddy breeding.The little i know about terriers is you would have to be a total nugget to get lumbered with a 90% failure rate,alas the average breeder of such thrives on nuggets and their dollar.

• Like 5

A lot of lads seldom have dogs that make the grade because of their own inadequacies rather than the terriers.

Ive seen some that dont look after or bond with a pup properly and expect it to go the first time out in the field, or some that over match a youngster by working it in difficult earths or working it sore etc etc and some that seem to be waiting for the first excuse to put down the dog as if its something to be proud of.

I find it strange that the same lads will always have a good dog about them and some seem to constantly have pups and no dog ever makes the grade.

Speaks volumes about who the better terrierman is IMO.

thats hit it right on the head imo

• Like 3

The title of the post is honesty ,right up my street so here goes .I'm reading this thread and thinking smuggly to myself that alls rosy after reading the doom and gloom of failed litters and failed men .75 % working to a decent standard from an un culled litter is in my book the norm .Morton writes of Beddie failings and whilst my head is with him in even trying to better the strain ,my heart thinks he's on a loser as the quality isn't there to breed to and would involve outcrossing to get anywhere near what they once were .

If lads only had the foresight to stick with what works rather than chop and change I think things would be a lot better .

Neil is right about the diverse needs of terrier men but half the problem lies when lads knowingly allow a ratter type to cover a digging type for reasons that its the only thing available .In my search for stud dogs as an outcross I delve into PEDs and even though the lads meant well at the time ,I know certain dog were shite and woundered why they lived long enough to breed .

If a terriers ancestry is not saturated with digging types then don't breed for a digging type from inferior stock .

The doom and gloom from some is self made without the drive to own better .

• Like 9

I don't breed but the last 6 dogs I I've had 4 haven't made it into the second season through cowardice . Looking back , hindsight a 20/20 lol I know , but looking back the 4 that didn't make I can see a link between the quality of the terrier mans stockmanship and their failures .

Yeah there was a chance like as in most litters that you'd get lucky and get a worker as they where bred from workers . to my knowledge the 4 that failed litter brothers and sisters never amounted to much either .

Now the two that I've got now I can see the difference in the men that bred them and their yards and their stockmanship . and I also know that My dogs litter brothers and sister , to my knowledge, are all grafting ! And the ones that are dead are dead through graft not through cowardice !! Some men I believe have the eye for it and will breed consistently and more often than not get more grafters , and the ones that haven't got the eye will never achieve consistently and breed more culls . It's just the good terrier men with the eye for it as rare as the terriers they bred !!!

• Like 5