Be Honest

Right folks lets hear a honest opinion on how much terriers you have had have actualy made the grade.is it higher percentage now to years gone past.or is it less.so much terriers forsale now and lets face it probably less than half will even see a rat never mind a sett.i know alot of you keep and breed in a line of your own.still intrested to hear what % make it from a litters bred

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A lot of lads seldom have dogs that make the grade because of their own inadequacies rather than the terriers. Ive seen some that dont look after or bond with a pup properly and expect it to go the f

I think it depends on what some would class as making the grade,everyone has different standards and keep different types of workers as in the way terriers work there game.If you breed a terrier that

The title of the post is honesty ,right up my street so here goes .I'm reading this thread and thinking smuggly to myself that alls rosy after reading the doom and gloom of failed litters and failed m

Think realy good terriers are hard to find....realy good ones that is..and if anyone who has bred ther own litters have had 50% of the litter turn out realy good then they have got a good line and shouldn't be shouting about it on here lol..

The two best dogs in the world are still going to produce shite

Think realy good terriers are hard to find....realy good ones that is..and if anyone who has bred ther own litters have had 50% of the litter turn out realy good then they have got a good line and shouldn't be shouting about it on here lol..

The two best dogs in the world are still going to produce shite

But not as much sh*te as sh*te X sh*te will produce,its about limiting your failures,put the best dogs you can source together and you will be in with a chance, if along the way you find a terrier that produces good stock (either dog or bitch) then that is the way forward,some will say pre-potency or the ability to pass on the work ethic can only be carried forward by a sire but my experiences tell me different, I think a good bitch that can produce quality when mated to different sires that have pre-potency also,there are too many lads not able to pass a complement by sourcing the best about preferring to breed second rate mediocre stock rather than approach a better worker owned by some one else up the road or country,I have no problem in acknowledging a good worker with better qualities than I own and we should all try to breed the best we can,when we can, WM

• Like 4

i started of 30 years ago with minature russells i now have the black dogs and they are far better now and they were then,i was young and stupid then and ruined many dogs with being to eager,i can honestly say ive never had a dog in my kennel in the last 15 years that as failed me

• Like 4

I've had more shit than good but that's Been my own fault because I haven't done the right checks and trusted people and took there word for it . When I have done my research either seen the dogs work or know the person hasn't been a bullshitter and got a dog they've mainly been good .

• Like 2

I've dug for 26yrs and could name 5 that I would rate highly!

Maybe I'm a shite terrierman but I've seen many many dogs fail and legends spew, in my experience 99% of terrier boys are either easily pleased or just out right liars!

Then I guess it's down to individual requirements and expectations, but I've got worse with age not better and won't feed crap.

Keep digging

. Atb Thrush.

• Like 4

I think it depends on what some would class as making the grade,everyone has different standards and keep different types of workers as in the way terriers work there game.If you breed a terrier that enters easily stays until dug no matter what the situation and continues to do so each season then i reckon it has made the grade no matter what ts work style may be,jmho.

• Like 13

I've dug for 26yrs and could name 5 that I would rate highly!

Maybe I'm a shite terrierman but I've seen many many dogs fail and legends spew, in my experience 99% of terrier boys are either easily pleased or just out right liars!

Then I guess it's down to individual requirements and expectations, but I've got worse with age not better and won't feed crap.

Keep digging

. Atb Thrush.

Are you still feeding the bull Russell you got off here mate

• Like 1

I think it depends on what some would class as making the grade,everyone has different standards and keep different types of workers as in the way terriers work there game.If you breed a terrier that enters easily stays until dug no matter what the situation and continues to do so each season then i reckon it has made the grade no matter what ts work style may be,jmho.

I know of lads that use their terriers more in a month than many do in a season,who has the best grafters?,impossible to answer,plus i find that terriers that seldom need digging to often do more terrier work.

Am not asking who has the best terriers just to clear that up.just intrested to see how much actualy make it and stay down there however long it takes for you to get down.over the years freinds have all had good terriers but unfortunatly that didnt last forever only a couple out of alot have done the graft up until a good old age to call it a day

And just what the f**k would you know about terrier work, you stick too kicking out hedge bottoms you loon

Thats not very nice is it Mr D,its an open forum for comment and as I've bred a lot of terriers of ALL types for over 40yrs and have a sound understanding on genetics that gives me a voice to answer as I see fit,my post was in answer of Naveks comment that putting the best 2 workers together can still produce sh*te, if you would like to debate that then fine other than that keep it civil,WM