Be Honest

Plucky was they working terriers or show shite ?

Never shown a terrier in my life,work only,there are many on here that seem to think that I've only ever kept Plummers,I'll put a few old pre-ban pics up if I get some time later,WM

Will enjoy seeing the ole types. Wirralman. Did you drop many holes to them dogs. The days of foxes to ground are few far between. In the 80s 90s. Things where little differnt. And the eyes on the law was not so adiment. Farmhand

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A lot of lads seldom have dogs that make the grade because of their own inadequacies rather than the terriers. Ive seen some that dont look after or bond with a pup properly and expect it to go the f

I think it depends on what some would class as making the grade,everyone has different standards and keep different types of workers as in the way terriers work there game.If you breed a terrier that

The title of the post is honesty ,right up my street so here goes .I'm reading this thread and thinking smuggly to myself that alls rosy after reading the doom and gloom of failed litters and failed m

I've dug for 26yrs and could name 5 that I would rate highly!

Maybe I'm a shite terrierman but I've seen many many dogs fail and legends spew, in my experience 99% of terrier boys are either easily pleased or just out right liars!

Then I guess it's down to individual requirements and expectations, but I've got worse with age not better and won't feed crap.

Keep digging

. Atb Thrush.

that's good going Thrush, got my first at 11 years of age, am 54 so had a few terriers, only a couple I would class as v good, depends what folk are happy with, atb

• Like 1

This season iv been lucky to dig with a very good terrierman ! He's a bit f***ing mental and we argue like cat and dog on a dig regular but he has some really top terriers and one dog I had get pleasure to dig to a few times this year but unfortunately died this season doing his job ! If he went in we would be digging him or he would bolt it and if he said no it wasn't there ! I have his sister with me now and also a cracking little bitch

• Like 2

I'm happy with the dogs I have around me,they do all what is asked of them and without to much stick,always a bonus,.I've always been self sufficient and not had to ask others for a mating etc,but as time goes on and now I'm finally meeting genuine lads with the same aims I'm opening up to the idea of using something outside of my gene pool,maybe a good thing,maybe turn them all to shit,who knows-nothing is set in stone.atb dc

• Like 5

To the lads that have a line of there own. If you lived on the continent and worked your terriers to the same quarry as blaise, would your percentage of workers for that job still be 75%. Preban what percentage made the grade single handed?

To the lads that have a line of there own. If you lived on the continent and worked your terriers to the same quarry as blaise, would your percentage of workers for that job still be 75%. Preban what percentage made the grade single handed?

if fox is your game you try and breed fox dogs-if the others tickle your fancy then you try and breed a dog to deal with them? So I think probably yes you would have the same percentage of workers/failures-that's my opinion Maybe someone who had the privilege of digging both when it was a respected pastime has a different theory? It was outlawed just before I was born,atb dc
  • Like 1

Seen plenty of good badger dogs [pre-ban] that you could also dig fox with,rule was if something was at home you dug it,but ive also seen plenty of fox dogs that no way would you dig bigger game with,would not entertain the grey lad.I also seen and know of lads that would start there young dogs on badger in order to try and brake them from entering to them,like has been said a hundred times people have different standards and nowadays in uk and ireland a terrier cannot be really tested to its ability because of the laws that are here,not like pre-ban.

• Like 8

The title of the post is honesty ,right up my street so here goes .I'm reading this thread and thinking smuggly to myself that alls rosy after reading the doom and gloom of failed litters and failed men .75 % working to a decent standard from an un culled litter is in my book the norm .Morton writes of Beddie failings and whilst my head is with him in even trying to better the strain ,my heart thinks he's on a loser as the quality isn't there to breed to and would involve outcrossing to get anywhere near what they once were .

If lads only had the foresight to stick with what works rather than chop and change I think things would be a lot better .

Neil is right about the diverse needs of terrier men but half the problem lies when lads knowingly allow a ratter type to cover a digging type for reasons that its the only thing available .In my search for stud dogs as an outcross I delve into PEDs and even though the lads meant well at the time ,I know certain dog were shite and woundered why they lived long enough to breed .

If a terriers ancestry is not saturated with digging types then don't breed for a digging type from inferior stock .

The doom and gloom from some is self made without the drive to own better .

The best fox working terrier i ever owned was a Beddy,her versatility at other tasks made her the most useful hunting dog ive ever had in the kennel,ive done a little.Another mutt worth her weight in gold,especially in rocks that the majority of terrierfolk would never entertain,was a red Fell,i have 3 generations of progeny bred from them that are more than useful,their Beddy father was as good and produces grafters,their Beddy grandmother i mentioned earlier.It took me a while to get to where i am at now and can say with a little honest pride that the 2 Beddy hybrids my lad is working now will have seen as much honest graft as many about.How many terriermen would use an honest working Beddy or hybrid as a stud?,the facts are that they would prefer to use a lesser dog at times,it would earn more dollar and not be up to ridicule,yet some Beddys and their types are as good if not better than many a recognised stud.

• Like 1

Only thing with the hybreds are sometimes you get a freak if you will out a litter maybe 2 butmost times when you breed them hybrids back into a line is they can produce just shite

I must be fortunate then as my Beddys are line bred and ive yet to produce an arse wipe.