• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks Peter. I love all bird life and get distracted every morning by a large flock of Yellow Hammers that live around my poultry pens. A good mate of mine is a very respected breeder of Mules and H

I've allways said our native birds can equal any bird from any where with the colours they have,it's just the feather type that foreign birds can do ours on. Millit on here has a Bullfinch cock that

When you see the Goldie, the Bully and the Chaffie up close like that they're as nice as any of the so called foreign finches IMO.

Posted Images

Thanks Peter. I love all bird life and get distracted every morning by a large flock of Yellow Hammers that live around my poultry pens.

A good mate of mine is a very respected breeder of Mules and Hybrids. He's that obsessed with birds that he only drinks The Famous Grouse whiskey or Finches orange, LOL, funny but true.

Lol theres two pubs beside me the finches and the swallows he would love that. Ive never seen a yellow hammer in the flesh but from pics ive seen they are a lovly bird

• Like 1

They're a stunning bird.

Feeding the fowl every morning I've got Yellowhammers, 3 Dunnocks, Sparrows, Blackbirds and 2 Robins ,who'll come within a few inches of my hand to eat the soaked dogfood I give the fowl (funny, I don't feed it to my dogs) and 2 Buzzards keeping watch on everything.

Paulus, is that a growth on the top of the Goldies head in the first two photos. That's worrying.

I hope Goldfinches don't start suffering like out Greenfinches do.

I was with a farmer a few days ago who was loosing chickens to a fox. While standing talking in the yard I noticed some Greenfinches at a feeder.

Done me good to see it.

They're a stunning bird.

Feeding the fowl every morning I've got Yellowhammers, 3 Dunnocks, Sparrows, Blackbirds and 2 Robins ,who'll come within a few inches of my hand to eat the soaked dogfood I give the fowl (funny, I don't feed it to my dogs) and 2 Buzzards keeping watch on everything.

Paulus, is that a growth on the top of the Goldies head in the first two photos. That's worrying.

I hope Goldfinches don't start suffering like out Greenfinches do.

I was with a farmer a few days ago who was loosing chickens to a fox. While standing talking in the yard I noticed some Greenfinches at a feeder.

Done me good to see it.

possibly the wind

Possibly, but there's not a feather out of place otherwise and it looks solid.

I recon a bump on the head that's all,i've seen a few birds over the years with it from them flying up into a aviary roof or even into a hanging feeder.The main reason i'll never own a sky lark is that every one i've ever seen in captivity during the breeding season has head like that where they've been trying to fly up high to sing,that goldie might even have had a close call with a spar sometime :hmm: ..

• Like 1

Possibly, but there's not a feather out of place otherwise and it looks solid.

I recon a bump on the head that's all,i've seen a few birds over the years with it from them flying up into a aviary roof or even into a hanging feeder.The main reason i'll never own a sky lark is that every one i've ever seen in captivity during the breeding season has head like that where they've been trying to fly up high to sing,that goldie might even have had a close call with a spar sometime :hmm: ..

Japanese quail are cnuts for it Lol

Is any one on the thread dedicated finch breeders . Iv a question if any one can help cheers. Last season my pair filled an cracked two clutches but never fed the young I lost 9 young to this . Don't want same results again .... iv 2 hen canarys running with finch cock an hen in a flight.. rest in breeders for selective breeding