9 Month Old Working Whippet

Hi I have a 9 months old whippet male,

He's not like the usual whippet timmed and abit shy, he's very active not scared of anything no other dog or person, I've took him out a couple of times with the lamp he's straight on the rabbits, I'm just wondering if anyone has ever come across this sort of whippet and if he will calm down after time?

• Like 1

I have one at 11 months now and he's a f@cking lunatic at times. He is slowly but surely starting to chill out but to be honest It is promising that he is so enthusiastic because when he is more mentally mature he will be able to channel that enthusiasm into hunting!

id also be worried if it were any different

Thanks for your replys, it's just that I have had a few whippets before and jet (the one I have now) seems to be different from the rest, do you know what age they will start catching rabbits? And When he has a chase he will often not come straight back and a bit of a pain to get back on the lead

Hi I have a 9 months old whippet male,

He's not like the usual whippet timmed and abit shy, he's very active not scared of anything no other dog or person, I've took him out a couple of times with the lamp he's straight on the rabbits, I'm just wondering if anyone has ever come across this sort of whippet and if he will calm down after time?

he sounds a good pup,how is he bred,do you know?

train recall and get that spot on before you start any kind of hunting.

With the lead thing you should take him on a longer walk and call him in to be back on the lead several times. Then let him off again. The reason he might not want to come back on the lead is because it is a pre curser that the walk is over (when you get the lead out the fun stops and you go home). You want him to see that coming back on the lead does not symbolise the end of the walk.

I wouldn't let him on the rabbits until he's at least 1. And then take it easy

• Like 1

Thanks for your replys, it's just that I have had a few whippets before and jet (the one I have now) seems to be different from the rest, do you know what age they will start catching rabbits? And When he has a chase he will often not come straight back and a bit of a pain to get back on the lead

I also have a whippet called jet cracking name :thumbs: