Creating A Wildlife Pond

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well in just over a year I truly have a wildlife pond. It's amazed me how quick nature has taken over. Reeds are established water level and colour settled. We have had heron, kingfisher, ducks with b

Let little un have a go today, the dream is coming true. Loved it.

Water level is well up now. About 6ft at deepest part. Had a sit by the waters edge with a beer last weekend listening to the birds tweeting and watchin the rudd topping and remembered what its all ab

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Farmer been back today. Once the muck mountain was gone I decided it wasnt big enough so we extended slightly. All top soil spread and gone over with power arm/drill. Bit of hand tidying up to do and grass seed to chuck about in a couple months but its getting there.

Still had next to no rain by the way! Typical I dig a hole for the rain to fill and its the driest year for as long as I can think.

post-92654-0-39260000-1483637240_thumb.jpg

post-92654-0-62828800-1483637252_thumb.jpg

post-92654-0-20670700-1483637265_thumb.jpg

post-92654-0-74126300-1483637279_thumb.jpg

post-92654-0-28887100-1483637301_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

It feels like Ive been on with it forever but when I looked back it on really started on 29th october so couple months. Im happy with that. Itll look different again in 6 months with water in (hopefully!) and once the grass takes.

• 3 weeks later...

Slowly filling. Could do with a few weeks of rain to get it right up to the top. Dont think I have ever wanted rain before!

I might have already asked this but did you line it, do you have a lot of clay in the soil, use a bentonite liner or plastic?

Cheers!

Slowly filling. Could do with a few weeks of rain to get it right up to the top. Dont think I have ever wanted rain before!

I might have already asked this but did you line it, do you have a lot of clay in the soil, use a bentonite liner or plastic?

Cheers!

I have a foot of top soil then straight into proper clay. Basiclly have dug a big hole in the clay and its holding water fine. No different to any clay or brick pond really in my mind. They were just dug for the clay then left and nature took over.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Water level is well up now. About 6ft at deepest part. Had a sit by the waters edge with a beer last weekend listening to the birds tweeting and watchin the rudd topping and remembered what its all about. Theres a few small silver fish found their way into the pond amd surviving well. Reeds and lillies planted too. Its getting there.

post-92654-0-75170000-1493625127_thumb.jpg

post-92654-0-33727300-1493625147_thumb.jpg

post-92654-0-81225300-1493625163_thumb.jpg

• Like 13