Ah right, no I thought u where asking what the season was for them and why I fished in the summer for them lol. Yeah do that in the summer and some trout fishing with the youngsters and then when the hard frost and colder weather kicks in then I hit the pike

Not sure pike gear will be getting dusted off this season way its going. Have you had much luck with the eels? big ones are hard to come by Ive heard? They go well though dont they.

Years ago my fishing buddy told me a story about an eel. He was fishing a river and on the opposite bank were a couple of young oiks fishing with what looked like a broomstick. He watched them catch a huge eel and then proceeded to bash it and stamp on it for about ten minutes. Only then were they brave enough to retrieve their hooks. They were about to throw it back in the river when my pal shouted over to stop them.

(His mum Rose was an absolute fool for an eel. Sometimes, after we'd had a session, she'd found em and cooked em before he got up for work. :D )

He cast a line across the river and told the boys to hook the eel on the treble on the end. They hooked it up and threw it in the river. The eel took off like an express train and smashed him up without even thinking about it. Ha Ha!

• Like 1

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I used to love fishing with plugs and spinners, caught and lost some big fish with the method....BUT for some reason now I get bored with it very quickly??? Dont know why, can't put my finger on it. 

There are a few reasons why a lot of anglers like to do their Piking in the winter. As above, they're more active and feed more often. There are less people on the banks in the winter. Less fuss re

Next time he goes,tag along you won't be disappointed, drop me a pm and I meet you and put you on the fish.atb dc

Never tried coarse fishing but I think I've only worn a coat twice since kids been back to school in September,lol

On the monnow /Wye where abouts are you fishing ?

I seen some nice looking chub by monnmow bridge in monmouth back along when river was low before all this rain.they were here few weeks just think trapped in a pool,they couldn't go past the church downstream anyways.

Never tried coarse fishing but I think I've only worn a coat twice since kids been back to school in September,lol

I seen some nice looking chub by monnmow bridge in monmouth back along when river was low before all this rain.they were here few weeks just think trapped in a pool,they couldn't go past the church downstream anyways.

good for chub all along the Monnow, best swim for them on the wye probably big bend where they have the monmouth show;) .atb dc

good for chub all along the Monnow, best swim for them on the wye probably big bend where they have the monmouth show;) .atb dc
Oh redbrook road.
  • Like 1

Plenty pike here in ireland have to put some pics up plenty over 20+ all returned unharmed awsome fish

A few years back I had two weeks in Southern Ireland pike fishing, travelled around a lot and had some good sport, something I would like to do again.

Went out at 8 this morning -4 the got to the lake and it was totally frozen over so drove to a diff lake witch is pressured water half the lake was frozen over so had to fish down an open bank no over hanging trees reeds or out sat out till 3 o'clock not one single bite 50 mile round trip for nowt just glad it didn't rain

Plenty pike here in ireland have to put some pics up plenty over 20+ all returned unharmed awsome fish

A few years back I had two weeks in Southern Ireland pike fishing, travelled around a lot and had some good sport, something I would like to do again.

Where i live there used to be loads of good sized pike in the small local lakes,20lb and over but the non-nationals and google maps have seen the pike almost wiped out according to the local lads.I myself used to do a bit of pike fishing in some of these lakes but mainly stick to trout in a biggish lake local to me where also there can be good sized trout caught,was fishing last year and an English lad had 3 pike on a fly rod all well up into the 20s.

• Like 1

Hi,

I used to fish rivers and lakes as a kid but then moved on to sea fishing. However I've often been tempted by Pike fishing - but never done it. Am curious as to the reason/ need for the temperature to be cold in order to fish for them...can someone explain? Cheers

It doesn't have to be cold to fish for Pike. They can be fished for all year round but the cold means more energy needed just to exist. On top of that the cover that made it easy to ambush their prey has died down so they have to expend more energy because now they have to actively chase their "dinner". Plus lures or fish baits are more easily seen without the weed cover.

• Like 1

Warm weather means less oxygen in the water resulting in the fish needing more time to recover as they are hard fighting. Lure fishing is more suited to summer because you have instant connection to the fish hooked in the mouth, whereas they will swallow deads/lives sharpish when it's warm as they are active so more chance of deep hooking.

• Like 2

I thought the pike were caught more in cold weather and didn't bite in warm?

They eat all year round of course but in the summer they can ambush passing fish thus using far less energy. Using less energy means they don't need to eat so often.

• Like 1