Any Advice On What's Going On With My Terrier ?

Hi lads

Just want to ask a quick question , I've a seleham russle terrier and he's 2 and a half years old now , he's been working since last year but it seems as though he's just stopped for some reason ! I've dug plenty with him last season he was working perfect but all of a sudden this season he's acting up , I've been out digging this season and everytime he's to ground with his quarry he will work it as usual untill I break into him , as soon as I break in he will come off his game and won't work it anymore and on occasions the game as gone on further into the earth but the dog won't work it , I'm dissapointed with him as he was a great dog last season but is acting up all of a sudden , I was digging yesterday and there was Charlie to ground , so I dropped the dog he was in like a shot , found his game and worked it , just as I broke into him he left his game and jumped up from the hole and fox pushed on and he wouldn't go back in , I'm confused to what's happening with him that he's just stopped working all of a sudden , ?? Any advice lads on what's happening here or why he's doing this ?

This is my first terrier so just looking for some advice

Cheers lads.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Could be you unknowingly clipped him with the spade previously on break through ,which has made him spade shy,the fact he works flawless until the crucial moment suggests he has had a bad experience a

Exactly terrier should stay with the quarry till the job is done. Everybody can make the excuses but to keep decent workers you need to strive to keep only the very best.

And this is why writing can be misconstrued, I knew what you ment and agree to a certain degree but just as you picked up on something you presumed I ment, I did the same. All being said I think you k

Try digging to the rear of the terrier that way your not on top of the game or right on the action, hopefully that should make a difference. If as you stated at times he's letting game go on further ahead and he's not following in pursuit it sounds like the dog isn't fully commited.

• Like 2

He shouldn't be coming up on the surface, unless it learnt a habit, like end of dig, or its some kind of breeding. Should be the right job for it. Are you sure it never spoiled before. I know one man had a big ruff, dog bred of the best I think, the bees and ees, don't hear it mentioned in his yard, well pts, and held back till 18 month, no cruelty, 40 minutes to ground, Fox, I don't know, but nothing to speak off

Not sure if it's happening every dig but sounds like the quarry is coming to meet the dog and is holding the terrier on the line. If the dog is made of the right stuff he should eventually back the Fox up to a stop end. If you have seen the parents working and they work well getting job done everytime Use this as ur stardard to keep ur future dogs at. It's easier said than done but ul enjoy the journey!☺

• Like 2