Woodcock........

Sorry mate but they are worlds apart really .Snipe will never raise their heads on the lamp plus size difference is distinctive even jack snipe .

Well my friend in going to argue the point on that simply because where I go it's more snip than wood cock and mr darcy your more than welcome to come and take some photos and bring the dog we could make a night of it (it's all permission)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A new challenge maybe?.....   Proper hard to get pics of......but I fancy trying.....   No woodock were hurt in the making of these photos....

A woodcocks nest  

my youngest bitch took this a couple of years ago, totally unhurt in the wood one freezing night; i warmed it in my jacket till i got home and took some snaps then let it go. only one i have ever caug

Posted Images

Great snaps Beast. I was once out doing the terriers with one of the York hunts (about 15 year ago)and I found a woodcock trapped against some rabbit fencing. I caught it and let it go. They really are a special bird. Their migration fascinating!

MHopton, I've never struggled to tell the snipe and wodock apart, they're totally different birds in size and behaviour, but thanks for the offer anyway.

Way back in 2010 when we had that very bad weather I don't know how these waders survived. I found a dead snipe, frozen and like a bag of bones. You can't help feel sorry for them, when we're sat in front of a warm fire and theres a little bird out there trying his hardest tio survive the sub-zero temperatures....

post-16-0-65720100-1451115364_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I was just saying as in one of the replies someone said about the thumping but that's the mating call of the snip and might just be me but they are easily mistaken

It's not a mating call. It's called drumming with snipe and roding with woodcock. The bird drops from a hight opening it's tail feathers as it does so, the drumming noise is air being pushed through the outer tail feathers making them vibrate in the slipsteam created by the bird dropping.

Woodcock roding.

TC

Edited by tiercel
  • Like 4

Great pics JD

Couple of farms I lamp are high ground and surrounded by woodland, loads of woodcock on the high grass fields.

Walked one of the farms with the dogs this morning, watched a nice fallow hind run the brow of a field beside us, let the terrier work all the scrub around the edge of the big woodland, a couple of short runs on bolted rabbits for the little lurcher with the pup starting to get involved now, a good crash through the woodland with the terrier yapping hard behind..... Then she put up a woodcock, only came out of the wood briefly before turning and heading back amongst the tree's... I love seeing them day or night.

Cracking couple of hours this morning.

Edited by NEWKID
  • Like 1