Tail Docking

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why are you paying a vet to do something so simple. Why do we all do as we're told , it's so fekin annoying .soon we'll need professional dog walker to walk the bloody dogs and I bet people would foll

Take a third off it

A bitch I got bites all her pups tails off normaly just the proper length really ironic

Had a litter done in March, £25 a pup, docked with certs, first jab and microchip. Pups were docked on day 3 and I must say he did a spot on job, although no better than the terrierman who did the previous litter for a case of beer.

I've heard that the RSPCA now do spot-checks on advertised docked litters and if you don't have the paperwork then they take the bitch and pups and sometimes go for a prosecution! Anybody experienced this or knows anyone who has?

Wolfy, because it's illegal to do it yourself now and only a fool would come on the inter-net admitting to breaking the law, that's why.

Imagine getting a visit and having the police and SPCA's looking at all your dogs over a litter of pups all because you put up on the net that you do your own docking .

Had a litter done in March, £25 a pup, docked with certs, first jab and microchip. Pups were docked on day 3 and I must say he did a spot on job, although no better than the terrierman who did the previous litter for a case of beer.

I've heard that the RSPCA now do spot-checks on advertised docked litters and if you don't have the paperwork then they take the bitch and pups and sometimes go for a prosecution! Anybody experienced this or knows anyone who has?

I don't know about the RSPCA Dan but the ISPCA have already prosecuted someone for docking a litter of Jack Russell pups and in the letter of the law it's classed as mutilation which sounds bad, especially for something so simple.

You can pierce a 6 month old baby's ears but you can't dock a 5 day old pups tail. Silly.

• Like 1

Also meant to say, that the reason I leave it 'till 5 days is that after a bitch has pups the only things I need to know is that she has milk and that there's no pups stuck in her.

I'll throw a quick count on them and leave her to rest and have peace and quiet with her pups and I wont handle them 'till she's comfortable with it and by the time they're 5 days old I'll have handled them a few times and docking their tails will be a lot less stressful on her.

I'm talking from experience not like a fellow I see here giving advice on docking when I'd say he never even reared a pup let alone bred a litter.

It's neither here nor there now as we have to bring them to a vets now which is what I'll be doing but IMO to stick a bitch with her new born pups in a car at 2 or 3 days old and bring her to a strange environment where's there's a risk of disease is as crazy as political correctness can get IMO.

Animal welfare ? LMAO.

only time pups should be handled is to dock them at 3 days old.... not all excited like a woman to tell folk what the bitch had or what was dogs/ bitches! if you own the bitch having pups its not rocket science to know shes scratching and circling trying to make a bed.... shes about to pup! be prepared have her bed and and a warm stressful place to pup..... a vet to call to your place to dock them .... when he is on his farm visits... and never give money to a vet who is interested in anial welfare..... its the wefare of the animal....that you want to get to know.

Edited by stop.end

LOL, Stop End if I had said 3 days you'd have said 5 days. I respect Daniels opinion as he obviously does a bit, but not your's. You buy in your dogs as adults and sell them on again and how do you get a vet to call in on his farm visits in the middle of a city, LOL.

In your first post you say that at 5 days there's too much pain, blood and stress. You sound like an anti and those words prove you haven't a clue about docking.

Years ago old timers done it at 3 and 4 weeks and although I don't agree with that even then there wasn't pain, blood and stress.

Edited by neil cooney

I don't know about the RSPCA Dan but the ISPCA have already prosecuted someone for docking a litter of Jack Russell pups and in the letter of the law it's classed as mutilation which sounds bad, especially for something so simple.

You can pierce a 6 month old baby's ears but you can't dock a 5 day old pups tail. Silly.

I'd been told that there have been a few done in England for it too so was advised to have mine done by vet and not a terrierman this time. Luckily, the vet is a friend of a friend who I trust and had vouched for him wholeheartedly. I'd always want to hear from previous clients about how good a vet is at docking before letting them do my own, as some of you have said, some vets have been known to do an awful job of it!

I find it daft in a way also, but then again there are plenty of absolute morons about who'd manage to make a mess of it if trying to do their own (as ive also seen).. to me its one of them 'competent persons' type of things, where experience of doing it correctly is necessary.