What Happened To The Ferreting Season

Hi all . Went ferreting this morning on a small bury but couldnt believe the entire area was covered in 4ft high stinging nettles. Now i havent been out for a few years due to other family commitments. But having eagerly awaited this season i had hoped to be out on a nice nippy morning with all the undergrowth and foliage having died of. But today so much growth about is unbelievable. So i guess the seasons dont quite resemble the ones of my youth. But my quistion is if you have to ferret a overgrown area do you or could you slash / cut back the growth (permitted of course ) and if so when prior to ferreting would this be done. Cheers for any replies.

• Like 1

Its the same hear mate wanted a wee shot to see how it would go couldn't even see the lurcher in the cover LOL only clocked the rabbits when they where running out the cover . we normally start in the horse paddocks in late August and keep going till April Christ knows whats going to happen this year ?. doing lot more lamping to compensate though

I believe it was last year my mate said he was pulling babies out in December. If we start seeing babies all year round the spades will start getting worn out. Could this spell the beginning of the end for ferreting

Been younguns about in December January time for years down here..

The cover is worse than ever for me this year. Whats even more annoying is my most open spot which is an orchard that I like to do early in the season, the owners have cut the tops off all the trees and left them where they fell so I can barely walk through it let alone ferret it. They've been saying for months that this is going to be a seriously cold winter, caused by el nino whatever the f**k that is. Bring it on I say.

• Like 1

Flatten them down and get in there....hands still buzzing from last weekend :laugh: Were we went last sat it wasn't so much the bigguns doing the damage as the smaller ,young ones 6in high that you don't particularly notice :blink: And to cap it off nicely the farmer had cut the blackthorn the day before,crawling round in thorns for 7-8 hrs,must be mad,all that for 6 rabbits :laugh: Wish I liked them x box things lol.

I believe it was last year my mate said he was pulling babies out in December. If we start seeing babies all year round the spades will start getting worn out. Could this spell the beginning of the end for ferreting

Been younguns about in December January time for years down here..

Last year December 12 we were getting youg