Best Spade Shaft

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Look, at the end of the day to any novice that's reading this it's a simple list of tools that you need to successfully reach your terrier. You need a long handled shovel, a short handled shovel, a

I'd cancel your order that shovels dog poo. I like them to have a smallish metal shaft. An the head should be like a spoon with decent kick plates. Cutting a v in them is for roots is pointless. Just

them small foldable saws cut threw roots you whuld never cut with a spade pretty quick

Posted Images

Steel is good it's just the polished steel what's a killer when muddy and wet and yea my hands are soft as they come :-)

Soft hands, hard terriers lol

I've tried loads of different type 2 piece shovels over the yrs and found them all a waste of time.I fit slightly shorter shafts and handles to the shovels now and find them suit me for digging.

Seen this idea on a terrier website few yrs back.might be handy for ye lads. Drill a small hole on the edge of the shovel head.run a lead through the handle and clip it into the hole. Strap it over ye shoulder.Ideal for walking about as ur hands free!!!

post-26707-0-04904700-1445023282_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Seen this idea on a terrier website few yrs back.might be handy for ye lads. Drill a small hole on the edge of the shovel head.run a lead through the handle and clip it into the hole. Strap it over ye shoulder.Ideal for walking about as ur hands free!!!

lads being doing that for years mate just don't put the hole too close too the edge or it cracks
  • Like 1

I use fiskars spades they got a nice angle on them for scooping out fully metal shaft and the handle can be taken off by a screw and spade cut down in 10 mins as they come quiet big some of them got rubber on the shaft were you hold it makes a hell of a difference on the hands than holding metal in the cold they also do a little kit with a hand axe a hand saw and a pair of pruners what have come in handy

D'you mean this one - https://www.alza.co.uk/fiskars-ergonomic-131400-d2361480.htm?kampan=adeupla-uk_produkty_hobby-a-zahrada&country=GB&gclid=Cj0KEQjw44exBRCu8vfS_bPEtNoBEiQACrt003DbHZ_sTh9CzWDvxpLBMTCJc9lndTR2-60rnSXZsyMaAq4n8P8HAQ

Lads its for digging not scooping, going to try it anyway as i like the shape.

it depends on the ground your digging mate or if your just digging too ferrets and don't need a lot of room but if your digging 6ft hole with that you'll be there all day a good graft and a round mouth will get you down quicker and neater

I use fiskars spades they got a nice angle on them for scooping out fully metal shaft and the handle can be taken off by a screw and spade cut down in 10 mins as they come quiet big some of them got rubber on the shaft were you hold it makes a hell of a difference on the hands than holding metal in the cold they also do a little kit with a hand axe a hand saw and a pair of pruners what have come in handy

D'you mean this one - https://www.alza.co.uk/fiskars-ergonomic-131400-d2361480.htm?kampan=adeupla-uk_produkty_hobby-a-zahrada&country=GB&gclid=Cj0KEQjw44exBRCu8vfS_bPEtNoBEiQACrt003DbHZ_sTh9CzWDvxpLBMTCJc9lndTR2-60rnSXZsyMaAq4n8P8HAQ
won't let me open the link mate receptions dead but the ones I got 1 is all black with a orange handle and the other is grey with rubber on the shaft and a grey handle both fully metal and the handles come off by undoin a screw and tapping with a hammer so you can cut down to fit your size

Edited yea that's one of them but my head looks to be more pointy than that one that one seems abit flatter

Edited by Zilverhaze

Look, at the end of the day to any novice that's reading this it's a simple list of tools that you need to successfully reach your terrier.

You need a long handled shovel,

a short handled shovel,

a folding shovel,

a two piece shovel,

a shovel with a torch,

a shovel with night vision (if your terrier is good enough to stay that long)

a mattock,

a finding bar (great for sticking in terriers)

another finding bar (for letting the quarry know there's something else other than a terrier around)

a bar for breaking stone,

a bar to go to on the way home,

a sharptooth fork,

an illegal sharptooth fork,

a fork for chalk,

a fork for eating your tuna and sweetcorn because you're hungry but the poor tyke is still below busstin' his ass,

a graft,

a graft with a V cut in it for roots,

a two piece graft,

a graft robbed of a building site,

a steel handled graft,

a wooden handled graft (comes with free jar of moisturiser) ,

a sheet of canvas to put the soil on to make backfilling easy,

two sheets of canvas to put the soil on if you have my terriers,

15 sheets of canvas if you've seen some of the terriers I've seen over the year,

a hoe for backfilling (I seen one used recently and a useful tool.),

a hoe if you want to nip into the bushes for 10 minutes while the terrier settles (YES that kind of Hoe),

a fold up saw for roots (very handy) ,

corkscrews, pins, chains and painkillers for your back,

15 lads to help you carry all this and hope that your terrier stays.

Or, you could carry a mattock and shovel in one hand with the terrier pulling on the chain in the other like a Yorkshireman I dug with.

He'd take on a 10 footer like that too.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1