Yes/no

line breed if you want to mate or don't.i can see what your saying about line breeding but a line bred dog won't do anything better than 2 excellent non related hard working parents at the end of the day.

It might be able to run faster with extra toes? Lol

• Like 3

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think jeems write up is a very good explanation. That's fine to not understand something, it's another to dismiss it. It is absolutely necessary to have, even a basic understanding of this stuff i

Heres my take on it I would by any means say i am an expert but I have done a brother and sister mating and will explain my reasons in doing so and the resulting litter ...I and a few others were need

In and in breeding is the quickest surest route to creating a true breeding line of any domesticated animal. The point of it is to purify or stamp in the good points that you want be they physical or

Posted Images

line breed if you want to mate or don't.i can see what your saying about line breeding but a line bred dog won't do anything better than 2 excellent non related hard working parents at the end of the day.

I had a long winded reply all ready to go but I deleted it, Im gonna bow out of this one. Each to his own I suppose. If it works for you keep at it, and I'm not saying that in a smart way. A.t.b

Bloody good write up by jeemes. Helped me get my head round it a bit better ,but why and when do things go wrong.I am thinking of plumbers line of lurchers. Thought you needed to outcross to refresh the gene pool.

Cheers

I had a long winded reply all ready to go but I deleted it, Im gonna bow out of this one. Each to his own I suppose. If it works for you keep at it, and I'm not saying that in a smart way. A.t.b
f**k it! I have to bite.. This topic hits a nerve. I've recently bred a litter of 1sx bullxwhippets. I can stand over mother and father as good dogs at their jobs. What's more is that I can trace the pedigrees on both sides to a long line of some really good producing dogs.question... Do u think if I found a whippet on done deal (background unknown) and a pit bull on done deal (background unknown) that were good dogs, bred off them, are you telling me you would just as soon put your faith in the done deal bred pups as put your faith in a litter of pups bred from a long line of working / game bred dogs? Honest question... There is no right or wrong answer, it's your preference
  • Like 3

Even in the case of the first x lurcher. Let's use a bull or collie as an example. Surely you would use a pitull or collie that comes from a line of working dogs which could bring us back to line bred dogs. And that goes for the greyhound side aswell.

I do agree with you that both purebreds most be outstanding and without any faults , however to come close to perfection it would require a man with good knowledge of breeding and more important ,give the dogs a tremendous amount of work needed to make some fair decisions on the stock he has in its kennels , the amount of time ,effort , money and disappointment would put most of. Just to add .for example your breed a litter of dogs lets say theres 8 , two years rearing ,give them a fair amount of work and in the end one or two make the grade ,the rest are culls , it would take years to breed something thats meets

your standard . but your right someone has to do it otherwise we wouldnt progress in what we want to achieve.

• Like 2

Even in the case of the first x lurcher. Let's use a bull or collie as an example. Surely you would use a pitull or collie that comes from a line of working dogs which could bring us back to line bred dogs. And that goes for the greyhound side aswell.

I do agree with you that both purebreds most be outstanding and without any faults , however to come close to perfection it would require a man with good knowledge of breeding and more important ,give the dogs a tremendous amount of work needed to make some fair decisions on the stock he has in its kennels , the amount of time ,effort , money and disappointment would put most of. Just to add .for example your breed a litter of dogs lets say theres 8 , two years rearing ,give them a fair amount of work and in the end one or two make the grade ,the rest are culls , it would take years to breed something thats meets

your standard . but your right someone has to do it otherwise we wouldnt progress in what we want to achieve.

I do agree with you that both purebreds most be outstanding and without any faults , however to come close to perfection it would require a man with good knowledge of breeding and more important ,give the dogs a tremendous amount of work needed to make some fair decisions on the stock he has in its kennels , the amount of time ,effort , money and disappointment would put most of.
I think we are both singing off the same hym sheet but getting the words mixed up, so to speak.. In my particular case, I've left all that hard work to the breeders of the bloodlines on top and bottom of my dogs "pedigree" all I can do is stand over sire and dam, the rest of the world can make up their own mind on the blood lines behind them. The pedigrees are on the net for anyone to pick at if they want. I suppose what I'm saying is I've chosen to mate 2 good dogs bred from line bred working dogs in the hope that the chances of producing scrap is minimised in comparison to just putting 2 good dogs of unknown lineage together and hoping for the best
  • Like 2

I do agree with you that both purebreds most be outstanding and without any faults , however to come close to perfection it would require a man with good knowledge of breeding and more important ,give the dogs a tremendous amount of work needed to make some fair decisions on the stock he has in its kennels , the amount of time ,effort , money and disappointment would put most of.
I think we are both singing off the same hym sheet but getting the words mixed up, so to speak.. In my particular case, I've left all that hard work to the breeders of the bloodlines on top and bottom of my dogs "pedigree" all I can do is stand over sire and dam, the rest of the world can make up their own mind on the blood lines behind them. The pedigrees are on the net for anyone to pick at if they want. I suppose what I'm saying is I've chosen to mate 2 good dogs bred from line bred working dogs in the hope that the chances of producing scrap is minimised in comparison to just putting 2 good dogs of unknown lineage together and hoping for the best

Im not judging you mate , im sure you did your homework concerning both the parents in your bull whippit litter , about the scatterbreeding thing , i think we both agree its a hit and miss.

Bloody good write up by jeemes. Helped me get my head round it a bit better ,but why and when do things go wrong.I am thinking of plumbers line of lurchers. Thought you needed to outcross to refresh the gene pool.

Cheers

I think all families will need to outcross at some point,and that is where danger lies. When you have spent years purifying or narrowing your gene pool it is impossible to have your eye on everything and some things are unseen. You can inbreed to do good or bad. You are engineering nature and all inbreeding is doing for you is vastly speeding up natural selection. The responsibility for the right selection lies with you. When you outcross you allow in thousands of genes,some of which can undo all the good work you have done.If possible an out and out outcross should be avoided and distantly related dog to your existing family used.The offspring watched carefully for incoming faults and bred back into your strain.

Any faults with dogs are corrected best with inbreeding even if those faults were caused by poor inbreeding,and lets be clear we are talking about in and in breeding,not line breeding which is complicated type of outcrossing.

Only dogs die,the germ cell or gene pool is imortal and lives on as long as the dog reproduces,thats why when people on here are talking about breeding good dogs together they are missing the point,that they are not breeding simply from those two parents but from the germ cell or genes that they carry.

The main point to remember is to forget systems or anything like that.You can only judge an individual on what it shows.

• Like 5

Thanks jeemes, hopefully they do what's asked of them

The fascination and the knot in the belly,its like a drug when you start and continually mull over what to breed what to next. I think the best breeders are the ones who can put up with the disappointments and who dont tell thereselves lies.

• Like 4