Cocker Spaniels Used For Charles

chrisbullx

My dad bred spaniels for over 30 years and I've corrupted a few in my time.1 was an outstanding Fox finder.he would get stuck in to 1 no problem.the problem was he would put them up and hunt them for 100 yards.pull off and start looking for sumthing else .they won't line hunt .Just up and out then move on.no good for us .but if your doing small spots where foxes are they will lift them fast due to springers or cockers fast approach to work.

• Like 5

anyone ever used or seen pure cockers bushing & hunting old reynard??? atb cbx

I would have the thought a fox is the last thing you want it bump into, more so if you want it for birds and rabbits being honest . I done fair bit of beating over the years , and most want gundog breeds soft mouth, few other beathers had jacks and labs, but these were just used for beating nothing else. I suppose if your not botherd if it got hard mouth ok, cockers + springer's can be very head strong just in training them, so most guns kept it simple as they could with them . lol

• Like 1

i'd be more than happy if they hunted/flushed them to gun or lurcher (in NI & ROI) on a regular basis.

some of the best hounds are total sh1tbags at the sharp end, but you wouldn't be without them

might be a nice party trick to have a spaniel that gets stuck in but you wouldn't expect it of them.

• Like 1

Yes I was thinking more of flushing to lurchers lads rather than tackle the fox preban of course atb cbx

yeh suppose they would , as they trained to flush any quarry , but hold on a flush (don't go in) so be it a bird,rabbit/hare or a fox they knock it out of cover, I have thought a couple of jacks might be better as they smaller and game little dogs :thumbs: