Saluki Worth The Hassle

Independent?, free thinking? a nice way of saying a wayward disobedient bstard.

No one can dispute they're the top of the bill when coursing in wide open spaces, but for every other job of work there's better options.

I've yet to see a saluki saturated dog worthy of the title lurcher.

• Like 1

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Most real dog men????   What the hel does that mean?,,,,if you mean the coursing lads out on the fens ,,,don't put them up on a pedastel that's just silly talk,,,there just dog lads same as all of u

Genocide is the only answer with these cnuts. This fuucker has just had me up after crying for 2hours. He won't leave me alone. Follows me to the shitter/kitchen/laundry room. Constantly has a slapped

Morton I'd disagree..   I've had collie types and switched to saluki crosses.   I have one that's pretty much a sight hound however it's hunting ability and prey drive leaves my old collie types

Posted Images

No one can dispute they're the top of the bill when coursing in wide open spaces, but for every other job of work there's better options.

try getting out abit more
  • Like 5

Ok mate, never thought of that.

If you look at the back ground of the pic of my old bitch I run n do as much on that sort of land ie sheep fields cow fields hedges woods wire fences moors etc as I do on open land you name it a lot of it not all is how you school them I think depending on what you want them to do, some people will just mainly go to big land that's there love so them dogs will struggle to perform if suddenly taken to smaller land all of a sudden, same as if you take a dog to big land no matter how much saluki or staying blood it's got in it if it isn't used to that land it will get dragged all over especially if said land gets ran a lot n only a few on there, you've got to give em time to run it n get used to it phisicaly to get there lungs opened up n mentally to perform, my spots are all different so they have to do the job all ver so it's all how you bring them up n what you want them to do what ever the land IMO.. Edited by dodger
  • Like 3

If you look at the back ground of the pic of my old bitch I run n do as much on that sort of land ie sheep fields cow fields hedges woods wire fences moors etc as I do on open land you name it a lot of it not all is how you school them I think depending on what you want them to do, some people will just mainly go to big land that's there love so them dogs will struggle to perform if suddenly taken to smaller land all of a sudden, same as if you take a dog to big land no matter how much saluki or staying blood it's got in it if it isn't used to that land it will get dragged all over especially if said land gets ran a lot n only a few on there, you've got to give em time to run it n get used to it phisicaly to get there lungs opened up n mentally to perform, my spots are all different so they have to do the job all ver so it's all how you bring them up n what you want them to do what ever the land IMO..

good point that :thumbs::yes:

@ Dodger, I never said they could only run in wide open spaces, if you actually read what I've said, it was in fact they were probably the best dogs for wide open spaces.

Can they run in smaller fields, woods etc?, of course they can, just as I think a saluki is the best dog suited to wide open spaces I think other dogs are more suited to other terrain.

On the point of being a lurcher, they aren't, simple as, or perhaps my idea of a lurcher differs from other folks.

I've seen lots of saluki blooded dogs catch a wide variety of quarry, don't make them lurchers.

I'd think most genuine saluki or saluki saturated dog owners would be the first to admit their dogs aren't lurchers, I'd also imagine they wouldn't want them to be.

@ Dodger, I never said they could only run in wide open spaces, if you actually read what I've said, it was in fact they were probably the best dogs for wide open spaces.

Can they run in smaller fields, woods etc?, of course they can, just as I think a saluki is the best dog suited to wide open spaces I think other dogs are more suited to other terrain.

On the point of being a lurcher, they aren't, simple as, or perhaps my idea of a lurcher differs from other folks.

I've seen lots of saluki blooded dogs catch a wide variety of quarry, don't make them lurchers.

I'd think most genuine saluki or saluki saturated dog owners would be the first to admit their dogs aren't lurchers, I'd also imagine they wouldn't want them to be.

Mines a lurcher......

I'm not biased towards saluki x's I genuinly like all crosses that can do there job but can you elaborate on why other crosses are more and better suited to different terrains than saluki x's and also why is say a deerhound or collie lurcher more of a lurcher than a saluki lurcher..

Longdog is just an old bull shit term of a cross between 2 sighthounds it means nothing lol, besides a saluki lurcher could have 20 different breeds in it's blood albeit saturated with saluki but that's just the same as a collie or bedi lurcher, there just mongrels,there just lurchers..

Edited by dodger
  • Like 7