Opinions On Fac

I find FAC power handy in certain circumstances. Around buildings, for one, or any place where I don't want too much pass-through or the possibility of a ricochet travelling into the next county.

With my FAC .177 HW97K and JSB Exact Heavies, I know that I can put the crosshairs on the head of a magpie, 40 feet up in a tree at a 30 degree angle (45 yards line of sight), and drop it with a single shot that will transit the heart & lungs.

I understand the trajectory of that pellet in that rifle, and that the pellet will drop by one mildot over that distance at that upward angle. If the bird moves and I miss, I also know that the pellet will drop to earth before it exits moi laaand.

I also use fieldcraft to get within a sensible range, but if that's not possible, due to lack of cover for example, then the extra range of a FAC rifle can be extremely useful. On the other hand, for a rat inside me chicken shed for example, I'll use a 6 fpe CO2 pistol. It's horses for courses.

For me, FAC air fills that gap between "Can I get close enough across that open ground?" and "Oh crap, there's no safe backstop for a rimfire". :yes:

Edited by Coypu Hunter
  • Like 2

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some of you might of seen this but I found it a few days ago.   The dude couldn't hit a barn door, but he does ok with the distance and power stuff.  

Have done,, twice. Found FAC air a waste of time.   Get a decent 12ft lb rifle, and a rimfire.

Not been on much and have to say certain folk do tend to talk shite with a beer in them ?

I too have thought of FAC air and have since thought unnecessary.

I love to shoot under concealment, with good natural camo` as much as possible.

Fieldcraft is the part of being an air gun hunter that gives me the return i so, so crave out there. Being blended into the countryside and hedgerows in wait .

Calibre, power level, types of guns,springer or pcp, this sight, that sight x this, x that magnifications but no one on these forums speaks loudly enough about "Fieldcraft" except for a few.

The "greatest sense of achievement" i get from hunting with an air rifle is "getting real close" and not getting spotted, the feeling as you place the crosshairs on the carrion crows head and being absolutely rock steady with your shot.

All the years of practicing,practicing,practicing go into "correct building of your shot" and fieldcraft.

When the experiences of all those years of hunting with a sub 12 ft/lbs air rifle are in you , you are then and only then, a true hunting and trapping man/woman for me. :yes:

FAC really is a "short cut" from hunting prowess but same as my shot guns they have their uses.

If your field craft is good and your storking skills are up to scratch then why do you need a fac air ?

atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Come on mac. Get with the program mate. Read the above reply's.

There are lots of scenarios where FAC air is useful.

If your field craft is good and your storking skills are up to scratch then why do you need a fac air ?

Come on mac. Get with the program mate. Read the above reply's.

There are lots of scenarios where FAC air is useful.

I just cant see the point of fac air

it must take the fun out of hunting we all try to home our skills to be effective with sub 12 rifles and most of us are bloody good to say the least and have some bloody good bags including your self moxy

and i no that fac air is bloody good for longer distances and where you cant use a rimmy but for me its sub 12

AS I CANT GET FAC ANY WAY LOL

FECK iv just answered my own fecking question lol

Isn't the praise of the <12 fpe level, not mostly inspired by the restriction UK law puts on you ? I think that if there was no legal restriction on the output of the air rifles, most would opt for a 12 fpe +rifle, instead of the 12 fpe variety. Stalking skills and fieldcraft still has to be still part of the game, game isn't daft i.m.h.o FAC or not..... :whistling:

Waiting in a hide to let the game come to you, isn't depending much on your stalking of fieldcraft skills, it only depends on staying still and using good camo material.

I do have a 50 fpe airrifle in .25, and I still have to do my part or I go home empty, and 60 meters is my limit, going for headshots most of the time.

Isn't the praise of the <12 fpe level, not mostly inspired by the restriction UK law puts on you ? I think that if there was no legal restriction on the output of the air rifles, most would opt for a 12 fpe +rifle, instead of the 12 fpe variety. Stalking skills and fieldcraft still has to be still part of the game, game isn't daft i.m.h.o FAC or not..... :whistling:

Waiting in a hide to let the game come to you, isn't depending much on your stalking of fieldcraft skills, it only depends on staying still and using good camo material.

I do have a 50 fpe airrifle in .25, and I still have to do my part or I go home empty, and 60 meters is my limit, going for headshots most of the time.

What you got in 50 plus? And how did you sell its use to the land owners? Out of interest.

Sorry but the seems to be alot of hot air being spouted against fac air.

I'll simply say my HW80 is glided and tuned as much as it can be and is super smooth and has a very fast lock time.

It shoots as accurate and more than any sub 12 springer out there and does a fantastic job of walloping bunnies.

I love it and that's that.

It's not boingy, lairie, twangy etc etc.

Unless you have a purpose built tuned fac springer and know how to shoot it there's no point in saying I don't see the point got one and do see the point.

Try one and then deliver what ever air ya like negative or positive.

• Like 2

Sorry but the seems to be alot of hot air being spouted against fac air.

I'll simply say my HW80 is glided and tuned as much as it can be and is super smooth and has a very fast lock time.

It shoots as accurate and more than any sub 12 springer out there and does a fantastic job of walloping bunnies.

I love it and that's that.

It's not boingy, lairie, twangy etc etc.

Unless you have a purpose built tuned fac springer and know how to shoot it there's no point in saying I don't see the point got one and do see the point.

Try one and then deliver what ever air ya like negative or positive.

Iv tried a fac hw80 and if I hadn't been told it was fac I wouldent have even known it shot very nice.