Working Presa Canario Breeders

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We had a pressa about 10 yrs ago. Spike. I've had lurchers. Terriers. And staffs. And the most loyal family friendly intelligent and trustworthy dog we ever had was spike. My young lads would sit on t

Lol he would shit like a human. But I will never forget him 8yrs later we still talk about him In the house every few weeks.

yeh, but I think a lot of the real pits were killed off back then , there is few about not so sure there genuine thing most have got other breeds in them ,abd,presa , and if there the real deal ,

Dont know why but been looking more at these presas. Just wondering what is the real difference between these and an american bulldog? Gonna have alot of poor examples if not most will be i bet. If both bred for purpose though what would seperate the two? Like the look of both when in good shape otherwise some look pretty useless to me. Few presas seem to remind me of a bulldog i knew, wouldnt of been any use for a guard though he was a friendly giant lol.

The Presa has a totally different temperament to an AmBull, alot sharper and more switched on. They have a healthy dose of Bardino Majero (the local flock guardian/herding breed)in them which really sets them apart from your usual mastiff/bulldog type.

I didn't know that , any more info on them , just was wondering how they came about , pm if you want .!
Well British & Spanish sailors brought their dogs and love of bullbaiting and dogfighting to the Canary Islands and then when they left the locals carried on breeding the British & Spanish mastiffs and bulldogs with their own local dogs eventually creating the Presa a sort of general purpose farm and fighting dog, very much like the early history of the bulldog in the southern US :yes:

thanks :thumbs: how do you rate them as a guard dog, I know my self any big breed as prob with hips+ elbows like abd,bullmastiffs,rotties,mastiffs anything really over 80lb s you get probs, suppose that's why the bel mal + dutch shepherd popular as guard because very full on with very strong jaw, but this the big thing there healthy than most guard breeds and more than a gsd . but I think I rather face a bel mal than , any full grown presa ive read there more driven than rottie, mastiffs, etc as big dogs there are very full on dogs . suppose the old gsd are easier to train and if things got out of hand you could stop them, you prob struggle with presa , didn't one kill a woman few years back in the usa .

Well if I can't find a crossbred bandog type that takes my fancy in the next year I'll be settling for a decent Presa so yeah I rate them pretty highly as a guard dog :thumbs: Incredibly driven for a mastiff type and as far as I know they don't suffer with the hips and elbows as much as other big breeds, the real deal Presa from the islands is a very rustic breed and has been for centuries :yes: A bit like the Turkish Kangal in that regard, rustic farm dogs that had to be healthy or they simply didn't survive.

Yeah some fannies were looking after a pair of Presas in their flat for a jailed drug dealer and one of them got loose in the hallway and killed a neighbour :no: Was a huge news story at the time.

Dont know why but been looking more at these presas. Just wondering what is the real difference between these and an american bulldog? Gonna have alot of poor examples if not most will be i bet. If both bred for purpose though what would seperate the two? Like the look of both when in good shape otherwise some look pretty useless to me. Few presas seem to remind me of a bulldog i knew, wouldnt of been any use for a guard though he was a friendly giant lol.

The Presa has a totally different temperament to an AmBull, alot sharper and more switched on. They have a healthy dose of Bardino Majero (the local flock guardian/herding breed)in them which really sets them apart from your usual mastiff/bulldog type.

I didn't know that , any more info on them , just was wondering how they came about , pm if you want .!
Well British & Spanish sailors brought their dogs and love of bullbaiting and dogfighting to the Canary Islands and then when they left the locals carried on breeding the British & Spanish mastiffs and bulldogs with their own local dogs eventually creating the Presa a sort of general purpose farm and fighting dog, very much like the early history of the bulldog in the southern US :yes:

thanks :thumbs: how do you rate them as a guard dog, I know my self any big breed as prob with hips+ elbows like abd,bullmastiffs,rotties,mastiffs anything really over 80lb s you get probs, suppose that's why the bel mal + dutch shepherd popular as guard because very full on with very strong jaw, but this the big thing there healthy than most guard breeds and more than a gsd . but I think I rather face a bel mal than , any full grown presa ive read there more driven than rottie, mastiffs, etc as big dogs there are very full on dogs . suppose the old gsd are easier to train and if things got out of hand you could stop them, you prob struggle with presa , didn't one kill a woman few years back in the usa .

Well if I can't find a crossbred bandog type that takes my fancy in the next year I'll be settling for a decent Presa so yeah I rate them pretty highly as a guard dog :thumbs: Incredibly driven for a mastiff type and as far as I know they don't suffer with the hips and elbows as much as other big breeds, the real deal Presa from the islands is a very rustic breed and has been for centuries :yes: A bit like the Turkish Kangal in that regard, rustic farm dogs that had to be healthy or they simply didn't survive.

Yeah some fannies were looking after a pair of Presas in their flat for a jailed drug dealer and one of them got loose in the hallway and killed a neighbour :no: Was a huge news story at the time.

thanks :thumbs: the presa sounds like the real deal deff from what you say, but like you say you got to go over to the islands get a proper one , if you ever do pm would love to see it. yeh they were in fookin flat never trained etc just to big dogs waiting to go wrong, shame it the pricks who keep them not the breed, same as apbts got in the wrong hands and the rest is history :yes:

• Like 1

correct me if im wrong, but these dogs your all talking about......weren't they all band from England in the eighties/nineties,

The only banned breeds in the UK are the American Pit Bull Terrier, Dogo Argentino, Fila Brasileiro and Tosa Inu :thumbs:

ok mate my mistake about the presa i do apologize, and yet there's pit bull's still in England? or pit bull type dogs? surely there shouldn't be any left by now,

Shows how pointless the ban was in the first place, eh? There's more Pit Bulls in the UK now than there ever was before the ban :yes:

ok mate my mistake about the presa i do apologize, and yet there's pit bull's still in England? or pit bull type dogs? surely there shouldn't be any left by now,

Shows how pointless the ban was in the first place, eh? There's more Pit Bulls in the UK now than there ever was before the ban :yes:

yeh, but I think a lot of the real pits were killed off back then , there is few about not so sure there genuine thing most have got other breeds in them ,abd,presa , and if there the real deal , you prob not them see on street corners for all the world to see . :yes:

• Like 2

There are no pitbulls in the uk. Half answered your own question, "type". Basically its racist to judge someone on how they look but fine to kill dogs based on it. Idiots will always be idiots and shouldnt ever own any sort of dog. The rspcs and media fuel their own fire though writing stories that will attract the idiotic type owner. Same people who probably have no care about loosing their whilst the sensible people and their loved pets pay the price. The dda imo is abit like the war on drugs, wont ever work but itll earn organisations money and elevate some peoples careers.

There are no pitbulls in the uk. Half answered your own question, "type". Basically its racist to judge someone on how they look but fine to kill dogs based on it. Idiots will always be idiots and shouldnt ever own any sort of dog. The rspcs and media fuel their own fire though writing stories that will attract the idiotic type owner. Same people who probably have no care about loosing their whilst the sensible people and their loved pets pay the price. The dda imo is abit like the war on drugs, wont ever work but itll earn organisations money and elevate some peoples careers.

true :thumbs:

I seen someone on fb is looking to put a presa over a grey..

well they put apbt , and it worked out well with what ones ive seen over the years 1x and gen bred xs , suppose they have start like most xs go from a 1x, then out x to lurcher etc, you never know it might throw a descant lurcher when finished .