Is The Apbt The True Bulldog Or A Terrier Cross?

I love a good old debate and this is the biggest one regarding the history of the APBT. Experts on the breed like Richard Stratton and many others believe the APBT is infact the original Bulldog, whilst the majority agree it was a cross between the Bulldog and working terriers. I for one think there's too many articles and evidence for the terrier infusion not to be true.

• Like 1

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In certain circles the term " Bulldog " within the breed of American Pit Bull Terriers is reserved specifically for the very best examples of the breed......" that dogs a real bulldog " for example wo

I know exactly where Alan lives?.I was at his house last year when he gifted me an undershot male pat which didn't make it.Known him around 20 years. One of the best catchdogs I seen weighed 30 l

I watched the above videos.They are hogs in a pin who have their spirits broke.These type are generally fat also.They have no fight left in them because dumb rednecks put catchdogs on them every Satur

Posted Images

Far too much evidence of crossing in terriers for me to believe those fantasist yanks :no:

The APBT is definitely as close as you'll get to the original bulldog though with some lines being more bulldoggy and almost indistinguishable from the original bulldog looks wise.

• Like 4

Far too much evidence of crossing in terriers for me to believe those fantasist yanks :no:

The APBT is definitely as close as you'll get to the original bulldog though with some lines being more bulldoggy and almost indistinguishable from the original bulldog looks wise.

Not just the Yanks that believe that tbh. Yeah I'm with you, the original Bulldog was more than likely a type not a breed, just like the APBT. As you say some of the original imports that were shipped over the pond looked very Terrier like whilst others resembled the Bulldog.

I know the American Bulldog is thought by many to be a relative new breed but I've seen pictures from the 1800's of white Bulldog type dogs that look exactly like the American Bulldog.

Edited by DogFox123
  • Like 2

I know the American Bulldog is thought by many to be a relative new breed but I've seen pictures from the 1800's of white Bulldog type dogs that look exactly like the American Bulldog.

There was definitely a type of farm mutt that resembled the modern American bulldog dating back to the early days of the colony, the creators of the AB just slapped a name on them and started trying to fix a type.

• Like 2

There was definitely a type of farm mutt that resembled the modern American bulldog dating back to the early days of the colony, the creators of the AB just slapped a name on them and started trying to fix a type.

Very true and many of these American Bulldogs of today are probably new creations, but like you said back in the day there was definitely Bulldog type farm dogs in the south of America.

Um, am I being thick here,Why would it be a bulldog if it's called pitbull terrier?

The original Bulldogs long gone, the British put pug in to get the cute ikkle squashed faces

The Americans crossed God knows what to get the American bulldog/homestead dog.

The APBT is still called the Bulldog by many in the fancy.

• Like 1

Um, am I being thick here,Why would it be a bulldog if it's called pitbull terrier?

The original Bulldogs long gone, the British put pug in to get the cute ikkle squashed faces

The Americans crossed God knows what to get the American bulldog/homestead dog.

The APBT is still called the Bulldog by many in the fancy.

Yeah seen that before, I'm sure I read the English bulldog used to be taller ,with longer snout?

That's something the Pit folk don't like to here, maybe these type of dogs are even more closely related to the original Bulldog than the APBT. If so that basically pisses all over the myth that Gameness was brought to the mix solely by the Bulldog.

best breed of dog i've owned is the american bulldog. Guards the house, great with kids and loves to get a face full.

I'm not fan tbh,the 2 we had were the wifes,but the first one she had more resembled the bully type, and she was great ,the one fault she had is anyone ran fast past her she would grip the ankle an try and tip you,even me,she also bit at wheels on kids ride one,like a farm collie does with cars.