Opinions On Bushing Dogs Breeding?

Tozer

ive worked most breeds of terriers and the crosses. my prefarance is the plummer or the plummer cross. they really are hard to better for working on top. I have russells plummers and a crossbred Russell plummer youngster at the moment and they work alongside all the known working types and they seem to be able to shine in most company. ive only got experience with terriers so cant really comment on terrier hound or gundog crosses. if I wasn't so keen on my terriers I would opt for a spaniel or small hound

post-100217-0-59471000-1439649180_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think it's a good topic mate, specially with lads moving away from the more traditional breeding to create something specific that suits them personally, surprised there's not more responses really?

after having both i think the 1/2 is a more steadier slower pace and the 3/4 u must of had bushing dogs before i think this bitch i have the 3/4 will burn her self out bye the age of 5 she works so

I guess you have never seen good spaniels smashing through cover and pushing rabbits out to lurchers or guns though i must admitt the smaller type spaniels i kept went faster through cover than larger

Posted Images

Guest foxpack

Without an argument what do people favour?

The vocal beagle?

Small rough coated terrier?

Plummers?

Terrier whippet?

Spaniel?

spaniel cross?

I like spaniels (after keeping some) and think their cross would be good and I like the the terrier (no so much beddy) cross whippets for dfferent reasons, with all the questions, is it worth putting into a thread why you think and the land worked?

i like a good mix in a bushing dog ,,we have a bit of everything in our pack ,,beagle x cockers ,great nose ,from the beagle and excellent drive and stamina off the cocker ,also in the firm is a small beagle terrier mix ,very vocal dog ,will go all day long ,will bolt fox ,but wont drop in on a rabbit ,which to me is a a pain in the arse if they do ,,and wont be in the firm long if they do,,i have a apprentice vandeen bassett x border ,which is doing very well ,but stubborn now n then,but he,s cuming on,,my view on bushing is simple work independently ,or as a team,work fast and vocal when on,simple as that ,

• Like 2

I'm tempted to try a pure collie,just because i like them and could do a lot with it.

though I keep telling myself not to try and reinvent the wheel it usually goes wrong lol

Pick the right Collie and I don't think you'll be disappointed :thumbs:

Collies are hard to beat as general mooching partners, they'll turn their hand to anything.

• Like 1

after having both i think the 1/2 is a more steadier slower pace and the 3/4 u must of had bushing dogs before i think this bitch i have the 3/4 will burn her self out bye the age of 5 she works so hard so i prefer the 1/2 spaniel but any cross the gets the gear out will do for me as long as its got coat a good nose and dont go to ground and listens to you i would be happy :thumbs:

A mate went to use a spaniel x Russell stud a few years back, the owner had 2 dogs.....1/2 x Russell/spaniel and it's son back to a spaniel bitch, so a 3/4 spaniel/Russell............he rated the old 1/2 x better than its son, said the same thing as you mate, steadier, more willing to listen, he said the old dog never missed a days work, and was still bushing at 13.

• Like 2

Funnily enough . . . . .

Ive got a nice range of 'bushing' type dogs here to see the differences lol.

Got -

Cocker

Russel

Whippet

Hound x

Collie

Lurcher

Interesting to see their different styles!

I'm tempted to try a pure collie,just because i like them and could do a lot with it.

though I keep telling myself not to try and reinvent the wheel it usually goes wrong lol

give it a bash and I'm sure you will be glad you did, I used a couple for years and they done job well. Dropped after flushing if told, used one of them for long netting at night, ferreting, lamping and beating now and again, was always being pestered for pups off him as he was starting to get on in age, lined him to a terrier that also does more than job and litter are all doing really well, only wish id kept one.as was only small litter and I didnt wanna refuse anybody that wanted one, terrier is old as fook now and collie dead, so ill be looking for replacements soon
remember a lad on here called hot something he had collie terriers or someone he new did

A couple of old mates both rated collie x labs they borrowed as kids, two different dogs, still mention them 40/50 years later when rabbiting dogs come up, they both kept ESS for years, but those collie x labs left a lasting impression ;)

• Like 1

give it a bash and I'm sure you will be glad you did, I used a couple for years and they done job well. Dropped after flushing if told, used one of them for long netting at night, ferreting, lamping and beating now and again, was always being pestered for pups off him as he was starting to get on in age, lined him to a terrier that also does more than job and litter are all doing really well, only wish id kept one.as was only small litter and I didnt wanna refuse anybody that wanted one, terrier is old as fook now and collie dead, so ill be looking for replacements soon
remember a lad on here called hot something he had collie terriers or someone he new did

I bred em, mates and family run em on now mate, I was hot meat lol

Wouldn't mind an update on those pups if you can :thumbs: was really interested in that cross when you first posted about them

ill get some recent pics uo this week for ye mate, they levelled out all between 15 and 19 inch, all weigh between 20 and 35lb, 2 dogs turned out like leggy terriers, a black n tan and a red one, could pass for leggy lakelands lol the 2 bitches that turned more cur like, are both merle in colour, ones a blue merle ams tan, other a red merle, they are more mongrelly in appearance but seriously clever dogs, would be too clever for some I imagine lol, and last bitch in litter is like a collie/whippety type, smooth black coat and racey, very terrier lik in temperment tho like the dogs in litter,has been interesting doing it and watching them grow and graft, id do it again or get one in if right litter turned up tbh, as they inlaws and mates that have em really don't like lending them out, as they all earn there keep.on a daily basis, 2 are living on farms, doing little bits of sheep work vermin control and rough shooting and ferreting, one lives on stables again doing vermin control and watches place at night bit also does a bit of ferreting and goes duck shooting lol other 2 are with in laws and do sheep work, ratting, rabbiting, tracking wounded deer, flushing and beating during season.

Great stuff :thumbs: you could tell this cross wasn't going to be lacking in the brains department. Sounds like they turned out real versatile mutts, not suprising with the Collie blood I suppose. You or their owners had any thoughts of taking a litter off any of them? I bet one of the leggier ones would make some real useful types if put over a grew :yes:

Look forward to seein the pics :thumbs:

I bred em, mates and family run em on now mate, I was hot meat lol

I was wondering who you were in your past life but didn't wana be rude and ask

• Like 1

I been trying talk father in law to let me breed a grew to one of bitches bit he havin none of it lol, I had to secretly borrow.the collie to cross terrier at time as he refused to let me lol I got feeling if I done it it wouldn't be that bad, bit its a no.if I ask lol

Time to take one of his bitches on a walk next time they're in season I reckon :whistling::laugh:

• Like 2

Remember when i was 13 year old and a lab x collie we had wile on holiday in flambourough working the big bramble banks on the south landing going through the dense bramble and a woman passing by could hear me shouting the dog asked if it was a jack russel she was a bit suprised when this mongrel emerged that looked more like a lab than owt lol.

what you have to remember size if going the collie route as much drive as you like if working brambles they will get stuck said a few time there was a bitch spaniel x collie staff lakeland black and white bitch

• Like 3