Opinions On Bushing Dogs Breeding?

Tozer

Without an argument what do people favour?

The vocal beagle?

Small rough coated terrier?

Plummers?

Terrier whippet?

Spaniel?

spaniel cross?

I like spaniels (after keeping some) and think their cross would be good and I like the the terrier (no so much beddy) cross whippets for dfferent reasons, with all the questions, is it worth putting into a thread why you think and the land worked?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think it's a good topic mate, specially with lads moving away from the more traditional breeding to create something specific that suits them personally, surprised there's not more responses really?

after having both i think the 1/2 is a more steadier slower pace and the 3/4 u must of had bushing dogs before i think this bitch i have the 3/4 will burn her self out bye the age of 5 she works so

I guess you have never seen good spaniels smashing through cover and pushing rabbits out to lurchers or guns though i must admitt the smaller type spaniels i kept went faster through cover than larger

Posted Images

The vocal beagle?

Plummers?

Terrier whippet?

Spaniel?

spaniel cross?

I like spaniels (after keeping some) and think their cross would be good and I like the the terrier (no so much beddy) cross whippets for dfferent reasons, with all the questions, is it worth putting into a thread why you think and the land worked?

I favour the sort of busher than can flush on top with the same sort of commitment it flushes below,often at speed and vocal,the only mutt that meets my requirements is the Beddy and its Beddy/Fell hybrid,not suitable to some perhaps,possibly because they have yet to encounter it,IF they had they may see the light.

The vocal beagle?

Plummers?

Terrier whippet?

Spaniel?

spaniel cross?

I favour the sort of busher than can flush on top with the same sort of commitment it flushes below,often at speed and vocal,the only mutt that meets my requirements is the Beddy and its Beddy/Fell hybrid,not suitable to some perhaps,possibly because they have yet to encounter it,IF they had they may see the light.

I dont know if it is your point, but I wasn't discounting the beddy, I merely meant the beddy whipped is more of a lurcher than a busher, I like your point though

do they class ole brock as off limits Morton? I love a terrier that can be used in cover and will drop in and bolt a fox or stay till dug to. But with everymore badger earths appearing all the time and population booming its nigh on impossible to let most terriers work this way. Seen a few myself over years that wouldn't enter till told to, would sit and mark and wait till you got there, but they not often seen

Personally I like small russells for bushing can move trew cover with ease. There brazen bold minded dogs that give everything they have. If not a mixed terrier friend mine has parson x fell russell pups fine pups must say I'm trying smooth the misses over first

post-93982-0-24918700-1439600940_thumb.png

post-93982-0-27559700-1439600983_thumb.png

• Like 1

I was pretty pissed when I put this up, but I'll keep it going.

I have learnt the importance of a good coat, I guess I don't want a dog ranging too far either.

I think it's a good topic mate, specially with lads moving away from the more traditional breeding to create something specific that suits them personally, surprised there's not more responses really?

I'm happy with my spaniel x whippet, good for mixed ground, adapts to anything i throw at here pretty well. She's more or less like a whippet x terrier, but better nose (imo) and not so headstrong, she works thick cover well enough for me, but if i did a lot of heavy cover i'd go for a spaniel x terrier type tbh, but she's no slacker on any ground really. I don't ferret these days, but she'd make a good ferreting dog i reckon, sort of dog you could "position" fairly easily, and she marks well and quietly.........very easy bitch to get along with, hardly ever have to raise my voice at her, very willing to please me, quiet/steady round the house, and 100% focused in the field........what more could you want?

• Like 6

I like the Spaniel x terrier I have done some Fox drives with spaniel. X bolted everything with them ferret with them and very little chance of them poping down a hole and they listen to what there told so makes the hole days bushing go to plan I've seen or worked most crosses to Bushing and this cross suits what I think you need. But everyman sees things different

• Like 3

I like the Spaniel x terrier I have done some Fox drives with spaniel. X bolted everything with them ferret with them and very little chance of them poping down a hole and they listen to what there told so makes the hole days bushing go to plan I've seen or worked most crosses to Bushing and this cross suits what I think you need. But everyman sees things different

Do you have a preferance willow 1/2 spaniel or 3/4 spaniel?

after having both i think the 1/2 is a more steadier slower pace and the 3/4 u must of had bushing dogs before i think this bitch i have the 3/4 will burn her self out bye the age of 5 she works so hard so i prefer the 1/2 spaniel but any cross the gets the gear out will do for me as long as its got coat a good nose and dont go to ground and listens to you i would be happy :thumbs:

• Like 4

Small spaniels although spaniel crosses would be my choice now if i were to get another bushing dog imo half of the battle is won when getting a bushing dog out of a good type of spaniel or in its breeding as entering cover is as natrual as a duck takeing to water.

• Like 2