Why Do We Work The Terriers?

My mother asked me recently what makes my father and I willing to risk the lives of our beloved terriers or hounds hunting.

We all know that each time our terrier goes to ground it could be the last. Why do we do it then? I have been scratching my head on this one. I don't know what makes it worth the heartache that comes from losing a good one. Everything dies, so I guess that I feel the dogs should be respected for their courage and let to do what they love most. For me, working terriers is all about admiration for a great dog.

• Like 2

I'd say it's because we can't help it. It's in our genes something that can't be suppressed even if it misses a generation or two there are guys I know that live in housing estates around the centre of Glasgow that keep and hunt with terriers. So IMO it's in our genes. We feed them on the best we can get for them make sure they have a clean dry and draught free bed get them fit and ask them to face tough and dangerous adversaries. I really love our little warriors.

• Like 2

Its working as a team the little fella down below duking it out waiting for you to get there. You can't let him down where ever there might be so it must be a heart breaker to lose one. Closest I came forgot to lead mine up one day as we passed a big earth where a dog had been lost and he disappeared down it as there must have been a bit of scent about thank god it wasn't at home and he came back out. I dived on the little bugger when he came out lol

Which terrier has had the better, more fulfilled life, the one that sadly dies age 4 facing it's quarry after years of doing what it loves or the one that dies age 15 after a life of eating dog biscuits and being dragged round a park on lead a few times a week?

We work our dogs because it's what they live for :yes:

• Like 3

I gave up trying to suss why i put myself through it every time i either slip the lurcher or let the terrier go to ground,i just do it these days and just deal with what comes next when it happens.BGD that's very true and if i didn't work the dogs then i wouldn't be owning them and a life without a dog is a lonely quite one and one i can't cope with so i'm stuck with grafting a mutt for peace of mind :yes: ,but i also worry so much when i do graft them :hmm: ,see why i gave up trying to suss it and just do it ffs :laugh: ..

• Like 4

I gave up trying to suss why i put myself through it every time i either slip the lurcher or let the terrier go to ground,i just do it these days and just deal with what comes next when it happens.BGD that's very true and if i didn't work the dogs then i wouldn't be owning them and a life without a dog is a lonely quite one and one i can't cope with so i'm stuck with grafting a mutt for peace of mind :yes: ,but i also worry so much when i do graft them :hmm: ,see why i gave up trying to suss it and just do it ffs :laugh: ..

I'd feel a right c**t keeping a terrier and not letting it do what comes naturally. Or any working dog for that matter.

Doesn't make it any easier when you lose one though :cray:

• Like 1

The working terrier is the only animal on this planet that activly seeks out an enviroment totally alien and dangerous to it's self, to do battle with an animal it does not want to eat...

Or something like that..

Not my words, Di Harcolmbe i think but no matter, it is the best description of why we cant help but admire these gallant little dogs... Their fate is in our hands... ;)

its too hard to put into words, but theres more than a connection between dogs and us, its something greater, for nigh on 33,000 yrs we have been in each others lives, working together to help each other advance and deal with problems created by nature and ourselves. the wild dogs have a life of only the strongest survives and around 3 to 10 yrs but domestic dogs live up to double that. companions, workers, guards, etc. no other animal comes close. some may say dumb wolves for feeding off our scraps but id say the early dogs knew as much as us that bit was a match made in heaven. divine intervention perhaps?? who knows? but its too hard to put into words

• Like 1

its too hard to put into words, but theres more than a connection between dogs and us, its something greater, for nigh on 33,000 yrs we have been in each others lives, working together to help each other advance and deal with problems created by nature and ourselves. the wild dogs have a life of only the strongest survives and around 3 to 10 yrs but domestic dogs live up to double that. companions, workers, guards, etc. no other animal comes close. some may say dumb wolves for feeding off our scraps but id say the early dogs knew as much as us that bit was a match made in heaven. divine intervention perhaps?? who knows? but its too hard to put into words

Definitely a match made in heaven :yes:

I often wonder if we would of got to where we have as a species without that early cooperation with dogs...

• Like 1