Is There No Rule Of Thumb Anymore

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's lost it's way pal. You see it on here some folk get slated by folk saying summertime hunters but when popular people on here do it they say great job keep the good work up. I don't understand

Spot on that. Farmers don't want to here "I can't come for 6 months now mate sorry, don't want to upset the boys on THL." Hahaha. I do less through the summer, a lot less, but the dogs are still out m

Won't go near my permission from March till late September have been doing it that way gor years never summer hunt summers gor fishing and relaxing

Everyone who has working dogs hunts all year round if it's lamping or just mooching about. There not going to stay in doors all summer. It's the folk that slate and then out walking with the bushing dogs and lurchers walking the field's. Your ratching to buckle something not just a general walk cause if you weren't you'll be doing road miles as so many say.

I don,t hunt all year round,in the summer months i can still keep the dogs ticking over without the need,or urge,to ruin next seasons sport,obviously accidents are there to happen but its down to the individual to control the percentages.I know where the majority of sport is to be had on the land i usually roam,its a case of steering clear of such places,reining the mutts in if they get their nose and rattling the odd gate etc. to make any unwary critter know of your presence.This summer is the first in many a year i have 2 pups that are at an age they need their education,it goes against the grain with me to have them killing at this time of year,i take little satisfaction from it.Ive little time for people that kill for sport at this time of the year,at some time they will realise that one catch now would probably be many more later in the year and an easy run now would be a better test of the mutt later on.As the majority of summer hunters only have their self interest and ego at heart its often a pointless exercise trying to dissuade them.The lads who are in the genuine business of pest control can cover more ground with the longer hours this time of year affords them,thats a totally different ball game,the ones who try to justify it as pest control,because the farmer asks them to account for the burdening rabbit population,should have done a better job in the colder,wetter and darker months,now there lies the reason many prefer to hunt in a T-shirt.

• Like 1

Everyone who has working dogs hunts all year round if it's lamping or just mooching about. There not going to stay in doors all summer. It's the folk that slate and then out walking with the bushing dogs and lurchers walking the field's. Your ratching to buckle something not just a general walk cause if you weren't you'll be doing road miles as so many say.

I don,t hunt all year round,in the summer months i can still keep the dogs ticking over without the need,or urge,to ruin next seasons sport,obviously accidents are there to happen but its down to the individual to control the percentages.I know where the majority of sport is to be had on the land i usually roam,its a case of steering clear of such places,reining the mutts in if they get their nose and rattling the odd gate etc. to make any unwary critter know of your presence.This summer is the first in many a year i have 2 pups that are at an age they need their education,it goes against the grain with me to have them killing at this time of year,i take little satisfaction from it.Ive little time for people that kill for sport at this time of the year,at some time they will realise that one catch now would probably be many more later in the year and an easy run now would be a better test of the mutt later on.As the majority of summer hunters only have their self interest and ego at heart its often a pointless exercise trying to dissuade them.The lads who are in the genuine business of pest control can cover more ground with the longer hours this time of year affords them,thats a totally different ball game,the ones who try to justify it as pest control,because the farmer asks them to account for the burdening rabbit population,should have done a better job in the colder,wetter and darker months,now there lies the reason many prefer to hunt in a T-shirt.

I don't wipe my permissions out in the winter. Why would I? I leave plenty to breed, thus ensuring myself sport for years to come.

It's possible to wipe land out in the winter as well as the summer you know.

• Like 1

I don't wipe my permissions out in the winter. Why would I? I leave plenty to breed, thus ensuring myself sport for years to come.

Its only possible to spoil land,spring,summer,autumn or winter,if you hunt because of ego,don,t know your trade or hunt without a conscience,egos have no place in hunting,its possible to learn the trade and the lads with the ego,s and no conscience will never be hunters.

• Like 1

Its only possible to spoil land,spring,summer,autumn or winter,if you hunt because of ego,don,t know your trade or hunt without a conscience,egos have no place in hunting,its possible to learn the trade and the lads with the ego,s and no conscience will never be hunters.
No hunting Ego here Morton.

You were suggesting I don't do a good enough job in the winter because the farmer wanted me to go back in the summer when he saw rabbits about?

But I purposely left rabbits on last winter to ensure my sport for the years to come.

So if I have to make the ODD summer trip to keep farmer happy then I will do just that.

You were suggesting I HAMMER the land so hard in the winter so that the farmer doesn't see the rabbits about in the summer?

Then tell me to learn my trade. Lol

Not seen one bit of ego from trigger..ever.weres that from malk or am I missing something.

Been out with trigger a few times. The guy is an a absolute gent. No ego about the guy at all.

Invited me into his home, brewed up, drove me around all night, took me to his permissions and showed me a good night. Letting my bitch have the pick of the runs.

He's a family man. No arrogance or ego. Never heard him say how good his dog is or what he puts away etc.

• Like 1

to be fair where i am with rock hard ground,crops,weather,heat, etc you cant do nothing to make much of a difference with a dog till the season allows anyway and if you do youll be lucky not to have fecked the dog for when you can start getting into them , what other people do dont effect me each to there own

iv ran my dog a few times on the lamp in the last few month not going to lie only for a couple of rabbits tho also shot a few only because i know 100% if i dont take them the other young lads round here that probably dont know the difference between hunting season and breeding season will take them if i don't,but like i say i only take a few,also dont fancy buying dry food for the ferrets,not trying to piss anyone off but just let others get on with what there doing if they want to wipe out there land in the summer then its there loss aslong as they dont empty my land then leave them to it.....

• Like 1