Collie/whippet

i like the look of your little dog r/m she reminds me of my boys dog which has whippet/collie/beddy in her, these little dogs seem to be compact/strong little dogs with good feet and my boys is very bright. i,m moving nearer to my boy this year so hopefully i,ll do some ferreting with his little dog this season, roll on, cheers plum !

Plucky little dogs, Mines pushing 9 now, but starting to feel the knocks

IMG_3806.jpg

• Like 4

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Does anyone else work this type of lurcher part from me. I got a mate that had one. But you don't seen to see this type of x about, here are a few pic's of my 3 year old bitch why I was on holiday in

collie/saluki/grew

One more pic of my bitch

Thought about getting a collie/whippet in the past but I decided id rather have a reverse bred collie/grey .

Yours is a nice type rm :thumbs:

I love Collie/Greyhound. The only thing I find is finding a really good working Greyhound than you do a Whippet. Shame really they are a good dog in the field if they been schooled right.

do You really need to use a working greyhound though? Plenty of people make good dogs out of mutts from none working parents ...

In my mind yes, you have a better chance of producing better working dogs.

I had a collie x whippet many years ago and she was extremely agile and the most obedient dog I've ever had...not the most intelligent but definitely the most obedient if obedience is measured by "doing as you're told." Unfortunately she was also far and away the most sensitive.

She was bred by a racing whippet breeder who wanted a sheepdog for her sheep but didn't like the idea of a pure collie. She was out of one of her 3/4 whippet 1/4 greyhounds (though there was a collie x greyhound several generations back on the whippet side too) and the sire was Hancock's Tory who was sired by Richard Jones (the beardie x border) out of a yellow eyed red collie called Katie.

The two main things to consider, in my humble opinion, are that I've always found it odd that so many people would consider owning a pure whippet but not a pure greyhound yet would never dream of working a whippet cross over a greyhound cross. :hmm: Also, the majority of the people who criticise them have never owned or seen one work. :hmm:

The two main things to consider, in my humble opinion, are that I've always found it odd that so many people would consider owning a pure whippet but not a pure greyhound yet would never dream of working a whippet cross over a greyhound cross. :hmm: Also, the majority of the people who criticise them have never owned or seen one work. :hmm:

Having owned a pure whippet and whippet bred lurchers I don't think I'll own another unless it was a whippet x grey. They aren't big enough or fast enough for the ground local to me.

Having owned a pure whippet and whippet bred lurchers I don't think I'll own another unless it was a whippet x grey. They aren't big enough or fast enough for the ground local to me.

had a racing bred (none ped) whippet bitch 20in 20lb great little rabbit dog, some of the male dogs at the track went up to 36-37lb very fiery things you could see bit of staff in them, I liked them types of whippets . But I know what you mean with a whippet x grey , just that bit more bigger /tougher type , if you got one about 23in 40lb that be bang on for rabbits, plenty fast/agile enough , feck me my big 1x gsd xgrey Buck can spin fair few rabbits over, so 40-45 lb type whippetxgrey do it dead easy :yes:

had a racing bred (none ped) whippet bitch 20in 20lb great little rabbit dog, some of the male dogs at the track went up to 36-37lb very fiery things you could see bit of staff in them, I liked them types of whippets . But I know what you mean with a whippet x grey , just that bit more bigger /tougher type , if you got one about 23in 40lb that be bang on for rabbits, plenty fast/agile enough , feck me my big 1x gsd xgrey Buck can spin fair few rabbits over, so 40-45 lb type whippetxgrey do it dead easy :yes:

Gnipper, were size and speed the only reasons for arriving at this decision or did you find them lacking in any other ways? I've always preferred the idea of working a whippet cross over a greyhound cross, partly because I prefer whippets but also because the land by me is tiny fields and thick woodland.

Have to admit though that my brother has three pure whippet bitches and he can't praise them enough.

To be honest, I don't have enough experience of either to have a qualified opinion...my previous post was aimed more at those doing the same as me but in reverse i.e. criticising collie/whippets just because they've heard them knocked in every book on the subject. :D

• Like 1

Gnipper, were size and speed the only reasons for arriving at this decision or did you find them lacking in any other ways? I've always preferred the idea of working a whippet cross over a greyhound cross, partly because I prefer whippets but also because the land by me is tiny fields and thick woodland.

Have to admit though that my brother has three pure whippet bitches and he can't praise them enough.

To be honest, I don't have enough experience of either to have a qualified opinion...my previous post was aimed more at those doing the same as me but in reverse i.e. criticising collie/whippets just because they've heard them knocked in every book on the subject. :D

Pretty much mate yeah. The ground here is the same as altcar and the rabbits are jet propelled most of the time and I've not seen a dog under 22 not left behind.

:hmm:The genuine first cross twixt a pure whippet and a Collie can be a disaster... :yes:

It is imperative to use real good stock to produce what I would term ,..a starting point...

As a young man, I was told that the ideal hybrids for ferreting, were Whippet Collies or Whippet Bedlingtons...Alas,..I have not found this to be a definitive statement,..in fact,..such a hybridization need to be carefully considered....However,..if the initial prototype shows promise and exhibits the best of both worlds ; the lightening fast reflexes of the whippet, combined with the tractability and sagacious demeanour of a good working cur,..well,..for me,.as a rabbiting enthusiast,..this purpose bred style of moucher's pal,.. is a worthwhile 'on going' project... :yes:

I have never considered a first cross (of any kind) to be the end product...

However,..in reality,..it can and should be,....the start of something good... :thumbs:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 5

I have kind of come to the conclusion that the first cross should be the grey, then if you want a smaller version put it back to a whippet for the most usefull lurchers.

Each to there own and I'm not knocking it, but I would think a first cross whippet and anything other than a sighthound wouldn't be quick enough?

ive a saluki lurcher,x whippet 27tts.fast as and can stay on you can get them,

But you have to be honest by making something half whippet you aren't trying to make a 27" lurcher

At 27 tts I'm not surprised it can shift and I bet there's not a single 18tts whippet or cross that is anywhere near as fast.
  • Like 1

:hmm:The genuine first cross twixt a pure whippet and a Collie can be a disaster... :yes:

It is imperative to use real good stock to produce what I would term ,..a starting point...

As a young man, I was told that the ideal hybrids for ferreting, were Whippet Collies or Whippet Bedlingtons...Alas,..I have not found this to be a definitive statement,..in fact,..such a hybridization need to be carefully considered....However,..if the initial prototype shows promise and exhibits the best of both worlds ; the lightening fast reflexes of the whippet, combined with the tractability and sagacious demeanour of a good working cur,..well,..for me,.as a rabbiting enthusiast,..this purpose bred style of moucher's pal,.. is a worthwhile 'on going' project... :yes:

I have never considered a first cross (of any kind) to be the end product...

However,..in reality,..it can and should be,....the start of something good..

As a rabbit catcher myself having owned many Collie/Greyhounds in the past. Having this type lurcher I find she suits me she & the ground I work her on. She is my moucher's pal be it night or day time I love every minute of it. Which put me on the idea of breeding my own line for my self. They might not suit everybody but they suit me :thumbs: .

But you have to be honest by making something half whippet you aren't trying to make a 27" lurcher

must just depend on luck.lol..that litter had 3 pups 2 dogs made 27 the bitch only 21tts.next litter shed 8 all like whippets bar 1 made 24 .