Just Because I Can Should I ?

Got a new perm got asked to shoot the usual rabbit -fox explained I'll have to check what land is passed for as on a closed ticket . Rang the firearms office up they said its passed for .308 as you can imagine only having rim fire at the moment this came as a shock that put a grin on my face as I had previously gone through all the rigmarole of going out shooting Center fire and get someone to sign a letter that I had when I went for my 22-250 but was let down on the land . But now I can get a 308 should I ? I was thinking more like a 243 as they cost of running one would be better or is it the same as with all my shooting issues I ask on here as you lot between you have years of experience that can't be found anywhere else you also have some good banter too

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ohh ok there statement is wrong they just made it up! Dan simple fact is once you have the experience and we both know you don't you will realise that the caliber of gun you use is irrelevant no one i

Alsone I think they are both great calibres and you are right it is personal preference, having shot a .223 and a .220 swift all winter long I can say that IMO it makes no difference as to where you

.243 is good for any animal you wish to kill in the uk including big red stags, you do not NEED anything else, and .243 shoots with a much flatter trajectory than .308, so is far better for lamping ch

If you want a .308 then put that land and also paid deer stalking

Depending on how many rounds you intend to fire theres not going to be a huge difference in cost between .243/.308

Chances are you will get it for All Legal quart

Trouble is the Home Office guidance doesn't consider a 308 suitable for fox, so I doubt you'd get one based on that bit of land. There's lots of other choices for fox

.  :thumbs:

My .308 and .25-06 are conditioned deer, zeroing and any other legal quarry. So that would cover fox I would have thought?

Not sure wether they would grant .308 for fox as the main, first or sole use mind you.

Edited by Hydropotesinermis

Trouble is the Home Office guidance doesn't consider a 308 suitable for fox, so I doubt you'd get one based on that bit of land. There's lots of other choices for fox

.  :thumbs:

My .308 and .25-06 are conditioned deer, zeroing and any other legal quarry. So that would cover fox I would have thought?

Not sure wether they would grant .308 for fox as the main, first or sole use mind you.

Yes it would cover fox under the AOLQ rule. As you say, you'd need something bigger to shoot at first, then fox as a secondary.

So we are saying 243 is ok for fox and rabbit if needed and if I get into deer that too once I have done the course

You don't need to do any courses for Deer

Get Deer on from the start as they may knock you back on the .243 if you just want it for fox and rabbits

Especially if its your first centre fire rifle

They may tell you to go for something like a .223

• Like 1

Centrefire ammo costs are NOT proportioned by the size of the calibre, so it doesn't really matter what you acquire.

Your used to rimfire at £35 for 500, 20 typical CF cost around £25>30.

I would always pick a 'common' calibre if you are going to be dependant on factory stuff, that would be .223, 22.250,

.243, .308 and maybe .270.

Most gun shops will have all the above in stock all the time, and have a choice of brand and/or bullet type & weight.

As for your new permission, I would look at a .243 as it is 'usual' as a Fox round so if you don't have Deer at the moment

you are still equipped for all Deer species in the UK, and get it for Fox control.

That at least you end up with a Deer legal calibre, and easy to get ammo.

There's a price list of ammo from 1 dealer here to give you an idea or relative costs. Suggest you compare one brand across the calibres something like eg Hornady, as you may or may not like the cheaper stuff:

http://www.dauntseyguns.co.uk/downloads/AmmoPriceList.pdf

If you're going to go stalking in the future, choose the larger calibres. If you're not, then I'd take the .22-250. Phenomenal performance.

Also, don't forget the .243 uses a .308 parent case so is very capable for deer and as an all round gun.

However, the problem with going for the biggest calibre you can get your hands on is with a closed ticket, it restricts the number of pieces of land you can shoot over. eg many pieces of land may be cleared for .223 and .22.250 but not .243 or larger.

I personally think for fox, a .22-250 is very hard to beat.

Edited by Alsone

Yeah it's worth mentioning as well that .22-250 is based on a 25 calibre case and so is a big step up from .223:

You really get a feel for it from this pic when you look at the diameters:

22%20cartridges.jpg

...and in Scotland is legal for Roe deer as well as Muntjac (a testament to it's performance) - I don't deer shoot, but I know people who do, and I've never heard of anyone not dropping a Scottish Roe cleanly with a .22-250, (sure it has happened at some time through a bad shot), but most people says it drops them like a stone.

As I'm sure you know, if you need deer in England though, due to legislation you need to go .243 or higher unless your content with MJ and CWD, but as I mentioned above, beware the land clearance aspects when on a closed ticket of going larger than you need for varmints.

• Like 1

So we are saying 243 is ok for fox and rabbit if needed and if I get into deer that too once I have done the course

.243 is good for any animal you wish to kill in the uk including big red stags, you do not NEED anything else, and .243 shoots with a much flatter trajectory than .308, so is far better for lamping charlie.

• Like 2