Toothy Critters

ghost of the flats, theres something about bonefish that will make you change your pattern after each refusal sometimes it can be a dozen times other times you get lucky but getting the pattern be shrimp minnow or crab you have to change atb and a few cudas imm028_N28.jpgc378b5f4-252f-423b-a06c-ea11d086a309_zpse89f44f1-5aed-4d19-9a3d-8923b1a617f5_zps8ee0ba7c-9ac7-463e-99d3-90303197f88e_zpsd14f6630-86c6-44aa-95a0-c20fab48aec2_zpsebdda31e-7538-4553-b7b3-d99f82715ed0_zps3e9e8fc2-6f1d-4194-ba53-2183b6af8bce_zps4b310c90-ba50-4a73-a7ed-04e04ee746a1_zpsd14f6630-86c6-44aa-95a0-c20fab48aec2_zps

• Like 3

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

amberjack on a 3lb livebait hell of a battle mutton snapper

birds mean fishshark on fly

a few caught on lures flies and livebaits going back some 25 yrs hardest fight from any fish ive had

attachicon.gifimage.jpg lol atb AT

PMSL...

Fished them Barracuda in Mexico, got some real big feckers too, some fight on 'em but on the same trip i hooked a monster Gruper, now that was tough...!

had a few grouper on the fly and lure mostly small and they take some doing , there never far from structure and getting your fly line shredded is the problem but they can pull without a doubt :thumbs:

• Like 1

Yer that was the problem, it was over a wreck and went in. The Mexican knew what it was and its size by the strain on the rod. He wanted it out and asked if anyone would be prepared to dive down with mask an fins, 'armed' with a trident and poke it out. I said i'd have a go.

Followed the line down to a spooky wreck and poked in the hole it went in to. Boom, that fish shot out of there and past me and I fecking shit myself.

I was deep and desperate for air and came up. The lads on the boat couldn't keep the fish from goin in again and so i dived again with the same results!

I did it once more but was spent and told em i was coming back, though the boat was some distance as it was circling. I could see a lad from the North East mask up and jump in for a go. The water was choppy and i lost him in the swell. Next thing all the boat are jumping around, pointing and shouting so i got over there asap. I couldnt see him and they said he'd gone under. I dived down to see him sinking with only a faint movement and i got him up.

He came to on the boat an i asked him what happened, he said he wanted the fish bad and i made diving down look easy and though he couldnt swim a stroke he thought he'd jump in an have a go!!

What a mad, daft fecker, shit scared of the hotel pool but goes in to sea swell to poke out a Grouper...

It's a fish i'll never forget..!! ;)

Yer that was the problem, it was over a wreck and went in. The Mexican knew what it was and its size by the strain on the rod. He wanted it out and asked if anyone would be prepared to dive down with mask an fins, 'armed' with a trident and poke it out. I said i'd have a go.

Followed the line down to a spooky wreck and poked in the hole it went in to. Boom, that fish shot out of there and past me and I fecking shit myself.

I was deep and desperate for air and came up. The lads on the boat couldn't keep the fish from goin in again and so i dived again with the same results!

I did it once more but was spent and told em i was coming back, though the boat was some distance as it was circling. I could see a lad from the North East mask up and jump in for a go. The water was choppy and i lost him in the swell. Next thing all the boat are jumping around, pointing and shouting so i got over there asap. I couldnt see him and they said he'd gone under. I dived down to see him sinking with only a faint movement and i got him up.

He came to on the boat an i asked him what happened, he said he wanted the fish bad and i made diving down look easy and though he couldnt swim a stroke he thought he'd jump in an have a go!!

What a mad, daft fecker, shit scared of the hotel pool but goes in to sea swell to poke out a Grouper...

that sounds a proper drama ,in the time you know you got a take there back under rocks and wrecks , I done a small amount off free diving and some of the other lads cant wait to get in , when you see the grouper tucked under coral heads its a wonder you can them out , there a tough fish and need beefed up tackle to play with them :thumbs:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg lol atb AT

lol

a few tales of ones that got away and they are normally the biggies , was fishing a blue hole some 200ydrs wide and over 400ft deep I was chumming in sharks and had a group of 5 taking the bait my pal was ready with a 12wt, as the sharks were circling and feeding under the boat some 15ft deep I told me pal to make a cast and let the shark fly sink 10yrds out from the boat, as the bright orange shark fly reached the depth and moved backed to the boat a huge shark flew in and took the fly my pal set the hook and the battle started within seconds a monster tarpon jumped some ten foot out the water the reel was screeming and my pal was all over the shop and in no control of the fight again the tarpon went airborne before diving deep in the blue hole the fight was amazing and the reel was singing a tune then the hook popped we estimate that tarpon at 120lb , had been bone fishing all day and not had a great day on the run back I dropped a big yozuri out the back , big cudas were hard to come by on this island down to pressure , 300yrds from he dock and the lure had been popping the surface for 45mins the most savage take bent the ucgly sick back , and monster and holy grail 40lb plus cuda flew out the water and screemed the reel into submission 2 more jumps and then slack hed pulled the back treble from a big yozuri and got free , theres not much you can do when shit happens like that but just look at each other and gawk with you mouth open , you dream of fish like that and it happens and its over in a flash , was on the acklins fishing with a guide called jb he was top man nearing 60 he knew the water he never said much but was a tracker of big bones he led me into some huge lagoons while we we looking for bonefish , his eyes were down as he tracked 3 big bones , we waded for hours but his head never looked up , he was following the huge poc holes of these 3 big bones as they fed on crab, more than once he stopped me from casting the fly at smaller feeding bones , as we entered the last lagoon his eyes lifted and he pointed his index finger at the far end of the lagoon and spoke 3 big bones you got one shot make it good , jesus my heart was bouncing the pressure was climbing all over me and to make it worse I see the fish coming at me , this is what I dreamed of and it was happning , I asked how big he answered 11 12lb fuk it blew me away I was in the zone with 3 doubles coming out on the tide and feeding , make a cast he said , whoosh I sailed a beauty into the lead fish plop 6ft in front and strip strip he rushes the fly but out of nowhere a 1/2lb cuda beats him to it and grabs the fly and boom the chance is blown , took nearly 3hrs tracking them fish and a baby cuda jumps the fly , hey that's fishing aint it lol time to drink lots of rum good luck

Edited by green lurchers
  • Like 2