Will Buzzards/kites Kill Chickens?

Birds of prey regardless how hungry they are ,are all restricted to what they can take by the size of their feet . Our buzzard in comparison to a Harris or redtail have small feet which when coupled to the lazy factor is why they are not widely used in falconry if at all .The red kite we now have has feet akin to a kestrel for its size therefore cannot take prey of any size and is resigned to carrion .I would be suspicious of reports of kites tackling anything tbh especially considering the amount of roadkill available .Drive between Swindon and Oxford first light and youll see what their fortae is .

Many young buzzards will tackle large prey but soon learn their limitations .

At last some one who has a bit of sense. :thumbs:

TC

Yip....kites are resigned to carrion. Only one talking sense here. Hold on here comes the bullshit train.....toot toot.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Everyone knows buzzards and kites only eat worms and roadkill, like badgers

Lets not kid each other on. Every bird of prey will catch and kill anything it thinks it can handle.

Birds of prey regardless how hungry they are ,are all restricted to what they can take by the size of their feet . Our buzzard in comparison to a Harris or redtail have small feet which when coupled

Posted Images

Buy yourself a nice peregrine/Gyr/Saker and use it to hunt the fekkers.

Double bonus... awsum sport. Free Pest Control.

I've got a Spanish book on goshawking & in it they use a female gos with rubber tips on her talons to catch kites for the purpose of ringing etc :-))) I'd love to of seen that haha.......

I've got a Spanish book on goshawking & in it they use a female gos with rubber tips on her talons to catch kites for the purpose of ringing etc :-))) I'd love to of seen that haha.......

now that would make for an interesting video on youtube...lol.

I would imagine that even with the rubber tipped talons,The Kites would'nt be very healthy after a grappling session with a Female Gos...lol. and what about the beak ? did they tape it up...heheee.

now that would make for an interesting video on youtube...lol.

I would imagine that even with the rubber tipped talons,The Kites would'nt be very healthy after a grappling session with a Female Gos...lol. and what about the beak ? did they tape it up...heheee.

Well that's what I thought..........considering the awesome grip of female gos, maybe they buried more than they rung? Haha....

Talking of raptors; this lunch time I was sitting outside and spotted a BOP very high, soaring, but no mewing. I got the binos out and managed to keep it in sight long enough to ID it as a golden eagle. There has been a report on the ex-pat pages about someone spotting a pair and getting the usual grief from those that think they know best. Little Wife and her sister also managed to get a good look through the binos. We lost sight of it for a while and then we noticed that it had been joined by another eagle and were lower than before. The two birds wheeled away to the west and while I was watching them one started to stoop for a few seconds then pull out and roller-coaster back uphill. It did this several times before I lost sight of them.

• Like 2

I came across a buzzard eating this today when I felt it it was still warm so I reckon it killed it itself

[/quote i lose rabbits that have been snared to buzzards, they look nothing like that.

To be fair Wideboy I couldn't blame that buzzard for that free meal.

Years ago I left half a dozen rabbits on a stump while lamping as I knew I'd be coming back that way. They were gone when I came back. Some fox thought it was Christmas.

• Like 1

Hope photo works

Just when I thought it was sorted it's now hitting my ducks their run has loads of tree cover and they spend most their time under the low trees so I thought they would be ok, obviously not, had one in pic dead and cleaned to the bone and another had been struck on the back and is hurt but may make it

Ducks are now in pen with chickens with so many CDs dangling above them it looks like an 80s discopost-25990-0-37224800-1435165989_thumb.jpgpost-25990-0-37224800-1435165989_thumb.jpg

So I suppose my next question is will the f***er start on my flock of geese? I have nowhere big enough to shut them away and of course they need the grass in the paddocks

I have 7 adult and 6 half grown goslings they are very protective so I hope it won't mess with them

What I find odd, is that if they have a brood why are they not taking the carcass? Hawks do not regurgitate food to feed young so why are the carcasses left? Another odd thing is that there are very little pluckings around the carcass I would expect to see a lot more than there are around the kill?

Personally I would be looking else where.

TC

• Like 2