Beagling

Having attended a local farm open day and chatting with the master of the pack I think that's what the title is i got an invite to accompany them on a days hunting when the season starts having never been to this type or any type of hound hunt I am just wondering what to expect any one been beagling

Done loads of it over the years.

Generally speaking you'll most likely be on open agricultural land as opposed to in woodland.

Likely to be smallish, friendly field - everyone'll be happy to chat to you. So if at any point you want to know what's going on just ask one of the field and they'll be only too happy to explain. But don't go asking the huntsman (unless there's a lull in the proceedings) cos he'll be concentrating on what he's doing.

Likely to pass round a cap at the meet - contribution unlikely to be compulsory but a fiver or so will be appreciated.

You'll be on foot all day so choose appropriate footwear and clothing.

Entirely up to you how much/little exercise you choose to take. There'll probably be a few old timers who spend a lot of the time just leaning on their thumbsticks taking it all in, interspersed with the occasional leisurely wander across a field. And at the other end of the spectrum there'll probably be a few fit younger ones who do a lot of running, trying to keep up with what's going on. Hounds are unlikely to go steaming off on a long point into the next county so it often pays to try and suss out which general direction they're headed in and try to cut corners as they tend to hunt in approximate circles or figures of eight. And they'll often repeat the same circuit more or less exactly. There's a good chance those old timers leaning on their thumbsticks are a lot more clued up than you think and will often be in exactly the right spot time and time again so it's no bad thing to pay attention to what they're up to.

Obviously respect the land you're on, don't trash fences or hedges, close gates etc etc. Be polite to anyone you see. Thank drivers with a cheery wave if they slow down for you on roads.

I'd suggest not taking a dog but if you decide you want to, make sure you keep it on a lead.

If the country has any high points, depending on the lie of the land you can sometimes get a grandstand view of proceedings by just getting to the highest point and staying put - all depends on what the terrain is like.

A pair of binoculars can be handy (though if you plan on doing a lot of running they're more likely to be a hindrance).

You're under no obligation to stay out till the end of the day. If you've had enough at any point just turn tail and head for home. But if you're still there when the huntsman blows for home it will be noted (though not necessarily commented on) and will stand you in good stead for the future. Plus you'll have some wonderful photo opportunities - nothing quite as photogenic as a pack of muddy hounds clustered round a muddy huntsman as the sun sets on a winter's afternoon.

Most of all - enjoy the experience. Can't beat listening to a pack of hounds faltering as they puzzle out a line, then suddenly all singing in unison as they hit it. The hairs on the back of my neck are standing up just from thinking about it :thumbs:

• Like 17

Used to follow the cumbria beagles years ago had some great days out..My mate was good mates with the huntsman and he used to let him bring his border terrier bitch. She tried her best to keep up and would hunt her little legs off.Just a old poor quality pic the border on the right.

ferretingpics426_zps6bd6cd5a.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the very descriptive answer reference taking a dog the huntsman said to bring along my terriers If I wanted to do you think they would hinder my day

Depends on the country really. If you're on open moorland or fell they'll not hinder you if you plan to take it steady. If you want to do any running depending on how accustomed they are to that they may or may not trip you up.... But if there are lots of obstacles on the day and you find yourself repeatedly climbing barbed wire fences and crawling through little holes in hedges etc I'd find it a bit of a pain having one or more dogs on leads.

Done loads of it over the years.

Generally speaking you'll most likely be on open agricultural land as opposed to in woodland.

Likely to be smallish, friendly field - everyone'll be happy to chat to you. So if at any point you want to know what's going on just ask one of the field and they'll be only too happy to explain. But don't go asking the huntsman (unless there's a lull in the proceedings) cos he'll be concentrating on what he's doing.

Likely to pass round a cap at the meet - contribution unlikely to be compulsory but a fiver or so will be appreciated.

You'll be on foot all day so choose appropriate footwear and clothing.

Entirely up to you how much/little exercise you choose to take. There'll probably be a few old timers who spend a lot of the time just leaning on their thumbsticks taking it all in, interspersed with the occasional leisurely wander across a field. And at the other end of the spectrum there'll probably be a few fit younger ones who do a lot of running, trying to keep up with what's going on. Hounds are unlikely to go steaming off on a long point into the next county so it often pays to try and suss out which general direction they're headed in and try to cut corners as they tend to hunt in approximate circles or figures of eight. And they'll often repeat the same circuit more or less exactly. There's a good chance those old timers leaning on their thumbsticks are a lot more clued up than you think and will often be in exactly the right spot time and time again so it's no bad thing to pay attention to what they're up to.

Obviously respect the land you're on, don't trash fences or hedges, close gates etc etc. Be polite to anyone you see. Thank drivers with a cheery wave if they slow down for you on roads.

I'd suggest not taking a dog but if you decide you want to, make sure you keep it on a lead.

If the country has any high points, depending on the lie of the land you can sometimes get a grandstand view of proceedings by just getting to the highest point and staying put - all depends on what the terrain is like.

A pair of binoculars can be handy (though if you plan on doing a lot of running they're more likely to be a hindrance).

You're under no obligation to stay out till the end of the day. If you've had enough at any point just turn tail and head for home. But if you're still there when the huntsman blows for home it will be noted (though not necessarily commented on) and will stand you in good stead for the future. Plus you'll have some wonderful photo opportunities - nothing quite as photogenic as a pack of muddy hounds clustered round a muddy huntsman as the sun sets on a winter's afternoon.

Most of all - enjoy the experience. Can't beat listening to a pack of hounds faltering as they puzzle out a line, then suddenly all singing in unison as they hit it. The hairs on the back of my neck are standing up just from thinking about it :thumbs:

Great post! Just to add, when at your first meet, its always good etiquette to ask if its OK to take pics of the hounds.

Cheers, D.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...