Irish Terriers

Hi lads, been do some research into getting an dog for my son as he is on the autism spectrum, after a lot of research we have found that Irish Terrier is an ideal dog, although he will not be worked unfortunately but will be a pet and companion for my son.

Has anyone had any experience wit this breed?? some more information from a owner/ former owner would be great. There's only so much you can read up on internet.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Take him to a rescue center and let the dog choose him if you know what I mean...it has been proving that especially dogs are great with all sorts from brain damage to fits autism to Alzheimer's the l

Get a lab easy to train, handle and as good a dog as you'll get, and by the way, no I don't have labs, but I do have an autistic child.

I have a Terrier with Irish ancestry, the b*****d thing makes me a nervous wreck in public! Get a nice gentle dog would be my advice.

Posted Images

Turk, just out of interest, why is the Irish considered an ideal pet for an Autistic child ?

I ask in pure innocence.

I have not come across many Irish terriers in the last 20 years ago but the dogs back then were fiery and argumentative with just about anything.

IMO if you asked a breeder of Shetland Sheepdogs would they be ideal the answer would be yes.

If you asked a breeder of Boxers the same question the answer would be yes and so forth.

So I'm wondering WHY Irish terriers ?

• Like 1

Get a lab easy to train, handle and as good a dog as you'll get, and by the way, no I don't have labs, but I do have an autistic child.

Have to agree,lab or retriever or even spaniel are brialliant about kids,irish terrier would be a no no as far as im concerened,to aggresive.

• Like 2

Honestly I wouldn't be looking at specific breeds at all, get your lad down a rescue center and see if they've got something that fits. Always best going to a rescue in your sort of situation, they'll work hard to make sure you leave with a dog that will work well with your family :yes:

• Like 1

I have a Terrier with Irish ancestry, the b*****d thing makes me a nervous wreck in public!

Get a nice gentle dog would be my advice.

true Aaron , nice little mongrel from the pound, there crying out for a life , cheep to buy and prob more healthy than any ped dog , nice little lurcher :yes:

• Like 1