My Gsd X Grey

Thanks red neck and bird for reply I'm a collie x guy but like the fact they don't look like a stereotypical lurcher why I got a 1st x collie he just looks like a mal nurished hill collie I never get hassle because no1 thinks he has sighthound in him this may be a cross about reading into

• Like 1

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No..   The lad only ever had the one dog,...but I have seen others of this type... I do know who you mean...  

Posted Images

Does alright for me

This cross wouldnt suit me,half greyhound half alsation, to be honest i think it looks like an alsation of the 1930/40s before the breed deformities had established themselves. 1931Alsatian.jpg

• Like 2

Agreed,,runem

they WERE a nice looking breed,,,,I think somwhere on you tube there is a film of hitler with his Alsatian ,,nice lean athletic looking creatures

:hmm: Back in the 1980s,..I was honoured to Judge, what was possibly, one of the first, Obedience Tests for lurchers....

The various tests were fairly basic,... not difficult or complicated and certainly nothing that would trouble the average working dog,..anyway,...amongst the motley collection of running dogs on show,..there was a particularly lithe and agile,.. Greyhound x Alsation.

This dog seemed to be streets ahead (both physically and definitely cerebral) of most of his fellow competitors...

His handler, although a sensible enough guy,..appeared to go out of his way to make each and every discipline far harder than it need to be...For instance,....rather than throw the dummy out into the open field ,..where his dog could easily collect it for the retrieve,.he instead,..hurled the fur covered object deep into a massive clump of nettles :blink: To his credit the jukel forced his way into the stingers and brought the dummy straight back to hand...

Smart as you like....

Unfortunately,...my fellow judges had taken a bit of a dislike towards this creature.. To make matters worse, his owner still insisted on making the remainder of the competition as hard as he could, for the bemused critter,.so it was easy for the officials to eliminate him. :yes:

I have not seen an example of a similar stamp since those days,...but, in my opinion,...the dog could have been quite something....Being of a curious nature,.. I went out with the beast and his owner (just for a wee mouch) and I can report that the dog was as useful, as I had suspected. :thumbs:

I only have one or two photographic images of this lurcher,...wish I had taken a few more...

• Like 3

:hmm: Back in the 1980s,..I was honoured to Judge, what was possibly, one of the first, Obedience Tests for lurchers....

The various tests were fairly basic,... not difficult or complicated and certainly nothing that would trouble the average working dog,..anyway,...amongst the motley collection of running dogs on show,..there was a particularly lithe and agile,.. Greyhound x Alsation.

This dog seemed to be streets ahead (both physically and definitely cerebral) of most of his fellow competitors...

His handler, although a sensible enough guy,..appeared to go out of his way to make each and every discipline far harder than it need to be...For instance,....rather than throw the dummy out into the open field ,..where his dog could easily collect it for the retrieve,.he instead,..hurled the fur covered object deep into a massive clump of nettles :blink: To his credit the jukel forced his way into the stingers and brought the dummy straight back to hand...

Smart as you like....

Unfortunately,...my fellow judges had taken a bit of a dislike towards this creature.. To make matters worse, his owner still insisted on making the remainder of the competition as hard as he could, for the bemused critter,.so it was easy for the officials to eliminate him. :yes:

I have not seen an example of a similar stamp since those days,...but, in my opinion,...the dog could have been quite something....Being of a curious nature,.. I went out with the beast and his owner (just for a wee mouch) and I can report that the dog was as useful, as I had suspected. :thumbs:

I only have one or two photographic images of this lurcher,...wish I had taken a few more...

Did the owner move to New Zealand?

Does alright for me

This cross wouldnt suit me,half greyhound half alsation, to be honest i think it looks like an alsation of the 1930/40s before the breed deformities had established themselves. 1931Alsatian.jpg
Yes seen a few shepherd lurchers in pics,that resembled ww2 era pures. I did wonder if one put back into pure bloodline would help save the breed,I don't know why people buy or put up with a shepherd that looks like it's dragging its arse around.

Agreed,,runem

they WERE a nice looking breed,,,,I think somwhere on you tube there is a film of hitler with his Alsatian ,,nice lean athletic looking creatures

Yep, her name was Blondi.

Just googled it, she was given to him as a gift in 1941 by Martin Borman.

Edited by shaaark

I once put a pic of this dog on a gsd forum they all said it's like the old type German shepherd they was shocked when I said it had grey init these where so called experts they was going on abaut it's straight back

Likes has most experts on pure breeds not used for purpose they lost there way looking for aesthetics it's the dames in all livestock I am afraid I would not worry to much about opinions on the field we all different and need different types and suitability for ground etc,atbbunnys

• Like 1