Remington 700 22.250

It certainly works for me matey. If I had a bigger scope I probably would zero out to 250-300 yards but the scope I do have is perfectly capable. If this ever dies stop working for me then ill try another method, but with the amount of foxes shot recently it definitely works.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At £2. a pop thats £56 for a box of 20 wtf are they, depleted uranium? time to start loading your own.

Absolutely CC. That's why I never push a shot past my comfort zone. If I went to the range and practiced I'd probably be able to push the rifle further in the field. But as it is I'm very confident ta

Sorry your right. I didn't add that I zero 1" high at 150 yards lol.   If you've never tried the ammo though I'd certainly give them a go. I had a slight accuracy gain but a lot flatter. Also extrem

Deker the rifle is owned by ratmanwan so I don't know what bullets he shoots he's away this week

But

I do know before this Rifle he shot a stier 22 250 with 50 grain sako balistic tip bullets

And we still used the same formula and got the same results

Don't get me wrong I dont mean the bullet lands anywhere in that 4 inch space

The rifle shoots a clover leaf at what ever distance you shoot at

So from 0 to 300 without holding over or under you get clover leaf groups within a 4 inch square area

Don't know how we started setting up like this but it works

Something is getting lost in translation here, this is a Sako table, nothing in 22-250 gets anywhere close to a 4" spread between 50-300 yards, someone needs to rewrite the laws of Physics for that to happen, and I'm struggling to see what that has got to do with shooting 1-1.5" high at 150 yards.

http://cdn.sako.fi/sites/default/files/Sako_rifle_cartridges_2015.pdf

Like I said earlier...............

Guys, if this is working for you then fine, but there is an assortment of grey areas here that I just don't get!

:thumbs:

Edit.Note the Sako chart is cms not inches! :thumbs:

Edited by Deker

I have to say I agree with both sides here.

Deker is entirely correct in that tables are only a guide and no substitute for actual zeroing / working out you're own drop tables based on actual observed performance.

Equally Dan, is correct Deker with the 4" spread if you believe the Hornady 50gr superformance figures which show on a 200yd zero, the bullet to be .7 high at 100 yards and 4.3 low at 300yds:

http://www.hornady.com/store/22-250-Rem-50-gr-V-MAX-Superformance/

It also looks possible on gundata: http://gundata.org/ballistic-calculator/

Although that shows a 4.9 drop at 300yds, using a 200yd zero, it's worth noting, this isn't using Superperformance ammo which may account for the .9 discrepancy.

Are all these theoretical models taking into account the rifle's inherent precision too? Given, say, a 1MoA precision, that's around 3" at 300yards right, 1.5" at 150yards. So if these ballistic models are accurate and you have around 4" of 'drop', then add the errors created by the precision of the rifle (1MoA) and suddenly your 4" 'guaranteed' vertical drop turns into 6.25".

That assumes 1MoA precision from the shooter/kit, 4" ballistic drop out to 300yards and that 1MoA precision is held out to that distance and doesn't become 2MoA or whatever.

Starts to make ya fecking head ache, lol.

Deker is entirely correct in that tables are only a guide and no substitute for actual zeroing / working out you're own drop tables based on actual observed performance.

Equally Dan, is correct Deker with the 4" spread if you believe the Hornady 50gr superformance figures which show on a 200yd zero, the bullet to be .7 high at 100 yards and 4.3 low at 300yds:

Although that shows a 4.9 drop at 300yds, using a 200yd zero, it's worth noting, this isn't using Superperformance ammo which may account for the .9 discrepancy.

That is a 5" spread between 100-300 yards, on the Hornady, it isn't a 4", and nothing in that chart says .7" was the peak of the arc!

The 55g V-Max has a 6.1" spread shown between 100-300 but it still does not say .9 was the peak of the arc!

I don't think anyone will be able to find a 22-250 with a verticle spread of 4" from 0-300, even a seriously over pressure home brew!

Help me out on that gundata ballistic calculator, I can't see anything with a 4" spread, what are you looking at please?

and again......... "what has that has got to do with shooting 1-1.5" high at 150 yards?".

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1

Guys.

The ballistic tables speak for themselves, and lets be honest, have you ever found a manufacturer to UNDER estimate performance, so all their figures (which all give more than a 4" spread) are best case, the reality is almost guaranteed to be worse.

I'm really not trying to take this off topic but I am confused by figures quoted by some individuals that apparently work, but just don't add up.

Most specifically this zeroing high malarkey.

ATB! :thumbs:

Edited by Deker

Well I have things pretty easy as I use a Nikon with bdc reticule and zero bang on @100 yards, then run my bullet type, velocity, bc, ect in Nikons superb ballistic calculator, which gives me aim points out to 700 yards plus, but what I do not do is take it as red that it is all correct, I go and practice, and TEST the aim points it gives me, up to now out to 400 yards it has been bang on, very impressive, if I did not have the Nikon scope I would zero @ 100 yards and practice out to say 300 yards so I would KNOW by trial and error what my bullet drop was, use a chrono, get a proper reading for velocity, and by all means use a ballistic calculator, but nothing beats practice.

• Like 1

Well I have things pretty easy as I use a Nikon with bdc reticule and zero bang on @100 yards, then run my bullet type, velocity, bc, ect in Nikons superb ballistic calculator, which gives me aim points out to 700 yards plus, but what I do not do is take it as red that it is all correct, I go and practice, and TEST the aim points it gives me, up to now out to 400 yards it has been bang on, very impressive, if I did not have the Nikon scope I would zero @ 100 yards and practice out to say 300 yards so I would KNOW by trial and error what my bullet drop was, use a chrono, get a proper reading for velocity, and by all means use a ballistic calculator, but nothing beats practice.

Spot on Cc the number of folk who give it my bullets do this or that and when you ask them how they know you get well hornady etc say so is laughable any one with any real experience knows this having run a lot of factory through different guns over a chronograph its soon apparent that mv's quoted by manufacturers are optimistic at best and a downright lie at worst time on range proving a load is what is needed not some foolish guess

• Like 1

Absolutely CC. That's why I never push a shot past my comfort zone. If I went to the range and practiced I'd probably be able to push the rifle further in the field. But as it is I'm very confident taking a fox upto 400 yards on a calm day with little judgement, obviously quickly check the range finder, back stop wind and then when in certain squeeze the trigger and watch it drop.

Edited by shropshire dan
  • Like 2

I have no idea on the science all I know is it works

I see about 100 foxes per year shot at all sorts of ranges

With next to no misses

Ratmanwan may well add a bit of adjustment to the shot I dont know

All I do know is they are good clean kills no runners

That is a 5" spread between 100-300 yards, on the Hornady, it isn't a 4", and nothing in that chart says .7" was the peak of the arc!

Indeed that is a 5" spread, my error.

So far as top of the arc is concerned, it's highly likely 0.7 is the peak because if you run the figures for regular 50gr V-Max, Gun data suggests it peaks around the 150 yard mark at 0.85". As superformance is faster and thus flatter, 0.7 would make sense.