Foxes !

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

its easy to blame the dog. most lurchers that quit are entered to early and entered badly. by either imature or ignorant owners . that tend to be over enthusiastic or frustrated. sure a large percenta

Dogs descended from wolves are used to killing for food and used to killing animals that are born prey animals whos biggest defence is to run. In other words its not natural to kill a fox to eat (exce

Good single handed fox dogs are realistically few and far between. Foxing is my game and we do a lot of it. Hunting converts at weekends and lamping. I've brought lads out from up and down the country

Posted Images

Any photos of him

no don't think so , the lad who had him kept it all low key with him, even when he took him digging with him as he was great around a hole as in the lamp . Tug was about 26in in 70 odd lb he was dark brindle with some white on his chest, he just looked like to me a rangy type staff with strong head . and tug was good temp with other dogs, he never start on another dog , only defend him self. and one day my mate had a big hancock 1/4 bred who started to get bit funny with dogs, well were at his place had a cuppa , just before we went for a dig. loosed the dogs out for a piss terriers , tug and my mates 1/4 bred collie x , when this collie just started on tug with in secs. bloody hell tug just bit it once in the chest, got them apart left his dog in the car, had good day apart from that . phoned my mate couple days later he said his dog didn't move off its bed for 2 days, was ok now but if he seen any staffs or dogs like he went nuts ,don't think he ever forgot old tug lol.

Theres foxes and foxes from August to November your dog would find foxes very easy to catch as that years cubs are dull and week if you think about it you only have 3 months of tidy foxes really ok you might get a couple of old foxes in the first 3 months but heavy vixens in February not having a go just stating facts everyone

• Like 1

It's got bugger all to do with size. . . . .

Some animals don't like getting hurt/bit, it's just that simple. . . . . maybe they realise that the quarry isn't food. . . . and don't think its worth it.

Getting bit by a fox doesn't hurt a small dog any more than a big dog.. . . . .

In nature, for the most part, unnecessary injury is avoided. . . . .

In some dogs, we've bred that right out, other we haven't.

Good single handed fox dogs are realistically few and far between. Foxing is my game and we do a lot of it. Hunting converts at weekends and lamping. I've brought lads out from up and down the country with different dogs that were rated for the job, over a fair few years I can count on one hand the good fox dogs I've seen! Big strong bull crosses that will take stick all day long but couldn't catch a could.... The ohhh he nearly had that one when realistically it was never going to catch, other faster animals that had ample oppertunity to strike but held back for the right time to strike or would take handy foxes but sit back and let a big fox jink away in front of them utill it met the ditch and away, others that try and have reasonable success untill Charlie reaches a ditch or covert and then they turn back and dont follow, the list of dogs that take some foxes but arent fox dogs is very long, genuine single handed dogs that can run and strike at the first chance they get, follow untill caught or properly lost and have grit to take them on a regular basis single handed are very very scarce!! If a dog is up a foxes arse getting to a ditch and wants that fox there is no reason that dog shouldn't be still on that foxes tail the far side of the ditch. Seeing is believing and I've seen a fair few and a lot of lads went home disappointed knowing they hadn't what they thought they had!!

• Like 8

The bitch on the right takes foxes one out and if she loses sight she turns to her nose and scents them until she spots them again. Took 8 daytime foxes in three days on the edge of pine forests with her, probably her best effort. Taken more on the lamp though.Never got a decent pelt from them, she'd chew em up too much

post-99018-0-31420200-1427757246_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

The bitch on the right takes foxes one out and if she loses sight she turns to her nose and scents them until she spots them again. Took 8 daytime foxes in three days on the edge of pine forests with her, probably her best effort. Taken more on the lamp though.Never got a decent pelt from them, she'd chew em up too much

Nice animal , when I was oz I noticed that the foxes were very small in size maybe lack of fur that made them look small ,but still good going

Nice animal , when I was oz I noticed that the foxes were very small in size maybe lack of fur that made them look small ,but still good going

Cheers. Yeah they weren't massive, couple of the dog foxes were pretty decent though. The property had only been hunted twice in three years so they had a bit of time to get nice and fat. The pelts in the warmer areas are pretty poor but the ones in victoria get some nice pelts. Whereabouts did you go?